New to me boat

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
rb89
Sailboat: Venture 15

New to me boat

Post by rb89 »

After surviving the Marine Corp, getting wounded,two (maybe I am the problem???)divorces a botched surgery (6 more almost lost arm..thats another story) retirement (I suppose that's what they call it) and a desire to reduce stress and slow down has prompted me to get a sailboat. Have only sailed as a kid in a sunfish type boat so I will be learning that as I go. Wanted a boat to work on and make mine, ended up with a '71 venture 24. The boat isn't bad just been sitting in a yard not claimed,the keel is just starting to delaminate (project one started on that yesterday) and the interior is water logged from sitting and dun up in some fantastic mid 70's colors and textures.

I am down here at Camp Lejuene NC, the New River is pretty good size to get my feet wet but it has some skinny water thus my desire for a Mac. I have gleaned a great deal of information from this sight and hope to continue to do so thanks in advance to all that post.

The boat had no name (lucky me didn't have to potentially create any bad luck) as it has been raining a few days and rained on me all the way to get her I am calling her "rainy day" and as in saving for a rainy day.

Have a great day
Bill Reichert
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 25

Re: New to me boat

Post by Bill Reichert »

Firstly thanks for your sacrifices and happy late Veterans Day. Be sure you register with VA services too.

Now for the boat. This is a great site and last December I started a site for the V 24 and 224's on Yahoo. I have tried to find all the good sites with info for these boat and am still adding. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Venture24 ... =309287625

You will be member 43 ? in just eleven months.
rb89

Post by rb89 »

Right on, thank you, I will ease over there and check it out anything to do with the 24's of great interest to me.

The sun is finally shining and the yard is beginning to dry out (buried the truck and "rainy day" in the back yard at 0 dark thirty saturday morning when I brought here home) going to try and hit a good lick on her today. Dropped the keel yesterday went smooth, after reading all the horror stories about that operation I was a little worried, and doing things essentially with one arm (its there just such a wreck that it is only good to steady and hold stuff and keep my shirt sleeve kinda full). Took the pivot bolt out raised the back up off the trailer about 10 inches lowered the keel to the trailer and as it was coming down the hole thing skid out of the well, then hooked the jeep to it and drug it out from under the trailer, then put ramps up the bed of the truck put a piece of pipe in the middle steak pocket on truck run winch cable around that to keel and winched it up into the truck. Will use the truck as a work bench as it is up off the ground and the keel is a bit heavy.

There I go rambling and burning day light, again thanks,

Brad
Doug W
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W »

Congrats! The Venture has pretty lines; I bet she'll be fun! Share some pics!

As a fellow Veteran, all I can say is 'Thank you'. Military service is extremely hard on relationships. Most of My wife and my friends ended up divorced.

Rain Day. Good name! I'm still kicking names around. Don't know if I'll go whimsical, witty, or geeky. Chuckle, probably the latter. 'My Precious' and 'Pretties' (long story) have recently bubbled up on my names list.

Have fun on Rainy Day!

Doug
:macm:
TexasDan40
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Humble, Tx...Mac26X "Alpha Sail" Rigged on Trailer in Kemah, Tx

Post by TexasDan40 »

rb89 wrote: The boat had no name (lucky me didn't have to potentially create any bad luck) as it has been raining a few days and rained on me all the way to get her I am calling her "rainy day" and as in saving for a rainy day.

Have a great day
Congratulations!
I'm still searching for a name for my :macx: . I like how your name came so easily. I'm leaning toward
"Bastante"...Spanish for Enough
"Oceano Viaggio" ...Italian for Ocean Jourmey
"It's Aboat Time"...english play on words
I also really like:
"Defiance"

I'm enjoying doing mod's on my 1999 :macx: ...I'm sure you'll enjoy that part too

Straight Tales,
Te :macx:

Semper Fi
Québec 1
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Québec 1 »

rb89 wrote:
The boat had no name (lucky me didn't have to potentially create any bad luck) as it has been raining a few days and rained on me all the way to get her I am calling her "rainy day" and as in saving for a rainy day.

Have a great day
Wow , great name for your boat! Now you have to put this logo beside the name:
or my favorite when it rains it pours girl who would look really nice on my blue hull...
Morton Salt: The Morton Umbrella Girl

Q1
rb89

Post by rb89 »

Yes sir I like the logo. Just came in, off loaded her and took a thorough inventory of all the rigging,sails, line, and misalanus brick-a-back. got two mains two jibs a genoa and a little sheet I am not sure what it is (storm jib?), all the sails are in outstanding shape the standing rigging is good to go, the running rigging needs replaced but is all there, the ruder is good to go, the motor starts (need to clean the carb). was a productive day!

I love hearing and seeing boat names and how they came about, or car, motorcycle, airplane names...they seem to be windows to our psyche weather we like it our not. Thank you to all that posted, time to take a few pills and hit the rack.

Brad
MD Dunaway
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by MD Dunaway »

Post some pictures. Just load them to photobucket and then download to the post. Be sure to take some pics of the work in progress. Mike :)
rb89

Post by rb89 »

Roger that, I am trying to take pictures, I tend to get involved and forget. Spent the day cleaning gutting the interior, it is sound but very messy. I am some what dismayed buy the, well cheapness of the trim and such...I understand it is a '71 model but plastic veneer over plywood? and the partially exposed wood covered buy glass that can has rotted. I am used to things being over built and under rated so when if you have to pull a little extra out it's there. She'll be a fine boat in the end...she is now, just reminds me of waking up after a good night of libo in a good(bad?) port like maybe Pohang or Tulan and realizing the young lady you have spent the evening with isn't quit as pure and clean and virtues as you thought the night before....but even in the harsh morning light has merits worth investigating. "Rainy day" will get a good cleaning some new clothes and a little spit and polish and she will be better than new.

Semper Fi, Brad
JoeVacs
Engineer
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by JoeVacs »

Doug W wrote: Most of My wife and my friends ended up divorced.

Doug
:macm:
How did most of your wife end up divorced ? :P

Welcome Brad, and thanks for serving.
rb89

Post by rb89 »

I dont get how to add pics. I got the inside stripped today and hit a good lick on removing the old paint, picked up some marine ply wood and teek. Going to put a bulk head clear to the over head were the factory had a partial divider.and going to cut the teek in about 1/2 instrips and make gratingwith reel small gaps for the deck. going to try hard not to paint any of the wood...just somthing about wood and sail boats, or any boat for that mater.
Any reason I cant use a high quilty extereor paint on the in side on thenon wood parts? and is there any reason I cant use that exspanding oam in lue of the random bits and peices of foam that was under the v-berth? got it on my mind to make a coffin locker incoser under the v-berth and fill around it with that foam.

Pardon my spelling tired and lazy tonight,
Brad
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Pictures must be placed on a public server such as PhotoBucket. The instructions that follow are for photobucket, but other image hosting sites will be similar and this is not an endorsment of photobucket.

Go to your photobucket account.
Hover your mouse pointer over the picture that you want.
Several options will appear.
Go down to the IMG code and left click in the code box to the right.
Left click in the code box and select copy.

Now, while composing your post on this forum, right click at the place that you want the pic to appear and select paste. It will look like this:

Code: Select all

Here is a picture that I took in the San Juan Islands:

[img]http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr321/Hamin-X/Gato128.jpg[/img]
Cool, huh?

It will appear on the forum like this:

Here is a picture that I took in the San Juan Islands:

Cool, huh?

The forum software will automatically re-size the pic for easy viewing and when a member left clicks on it, the original size will be viewable. The board does not actually download, or store the pic, it just uses the code to make your browser do the work. Repeat for up to three pics/post. It is best to use the "Preview" option, to make sure that everything is OK, before you submit the post. There is a three picture limit/post, to help protect those that still have slow internet (me when out & about).

Flickr is a little more difficult.
  • Left click on the pic that you want to post.
    Above the pic, left click on "All Sizes".
    Left click on the size that you want to post. Large works best.
    Right click on the pic.
    Left click on "Properties". A window will open.
    Beside Address (URL), is the url that you will post. Copy all lines of it.
    I triple click on it and it highlights all of it.
    Copy and paste this between the [Img] tags in your post.
Enjoy,

~Rich---Hamin' X~
MD Dunaway
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by MD Dunaway »

I'm running a little behind. Just read your post from 11/17. That is one of my pet peaves (using overly cheap parts). I mean there is inexpensive (or reasonably priced) and there is "cheap". I understand building a boat that we can all afford. I don't have a trust fund myself! Some of the "cheap" stuff I just don"t get. Doesn't seem to hurt sales :? ? I just replaced the plastic cleats on the 26s. It was a real PITB. (the photos are in the mod section under 26s). I gave $16.95 x3 for the cleats, The SS bolts, washers and nuts cost about $10. I had the aluminum laying around. The total mod cost about $66 including shipping. If the factory had used the same parts, but bought in bulk (which would reduce the cost of the parts and shipping) and, of course, they also used SS bolts (which I could not reuse cause they were all bent up);they could have included this as standard equipment for probably half what it cost me. That is todays prices!! Macs are innovative and generally well built boats (for what they are intended). IMHO its things like the plastic cleats (and laminate wood, etc) that contribute to the Macs image of being underbuilt.

A high quality enamel will work fine (also see the mod section). Be certain to have good ventilation if you are painting in an enclosed space. Otherwise you won't remember anything else that happened that day! :P

Mike
rb89

Post by rb89 »

Rainy Day is coming along, been raining so much cant get a lot done on the exterior but got the v-berth built and installed, bulk head seperating the head from the nav station built and installed the majority of the unneeded holes in the forward area of the deck sealed, (amazing the amount of holes that had been drilled and things screwd to her in the last 38 years).
I continue to be amazed buy the low quility of the components and work manship, although it is hard to tell what is original and what has been added threw the years. the partialy glassed wood ribs made out of what looks to be #2 pine and regular plywood, hard to tell as it is mostly rottin. The holes drilled threw the deck but not filled with resin and re-drilled (I was taught a long time ago that if you are going to drill a hole threw glass coverd wood and you dont want water intrusion then you beter seal the glass/wood/hole interface and the way I was taught was to drill the hole over size then fill with resin or epoxy then drill to the size you need, and caulk the bolt, redundent systems).
If the weather holds tomarrow I hope to hit a good lick on her...if it is to nice I might slide out and do a little fishing!

Hope every one had a great Thanks giving
RB89