V224 Old Boat new owner

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

duffer49
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

V224 Old Boat new owner

Post by duffer49 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:24 am

I have just purchased a V224. Not sure how old. It is seaworthy but still needs a lot of work. I have a few simple questions as this is the first boat that I have owned. Is there a maintenance manual like a Chilton's for cars? I have downloaded the V21, V22, V25 instructions from the forum. Are these good for the 24 as well?
Why kind of outboard do I need long or short shaft? It looks as of the short will do on the motor mount.

Thanks

Rackman
Deckhand

Re: V224 Old Boat new owner

Post by Rackman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm

I just bought a '73 and have the same question! I hope someone has some info!!

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:06 pm

The first answer to your unasked question is:

I and the kids like cheese pizza - newest owner has to buy. :)
duffer49 wrote:I have just purchased a V224. Not sure how old. It is seaworthy but still needs a lot of work. I have a few simple questions as this is the first boat that I have owned. Is there a maintenance manual like a Chilton's for cars? I have downloaded the V21, V22, V25 instructions from the forum. Are these good for the 24 as well?
Why kind of outboard do I need long or short shaft? It looks as of the short will do on the motor mount.

Thanks

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:11 pm

Welcome. As stated above, you are the newest member so you must buy the pizza.

The "manual" you downloaded is probably as close as you're gonna get. Rigging the boat is the hardest part. If you have specific questions ask away. Folks here are a great resource.

Not sure about long/short shaft. Hopefully someone will respond.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm pretty sure you'll need a long shaft. Long-shafts are specifically for sailboats, where short shafts are for dinghys. Others with the boat can comment, but a 25 or 26 requires a long shaft for the main transom mount.

topcat0399
First Officer

Post by topcat0399 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm

V224's were made for a few years in the early 70's before they morphed into the V25. Ours is a 1973.
The only difference between a V24 and a V224 is that the V224 has the pop top.

We have a 15 hp long shaft. Its too much engine and the boat is only rated for 10 hp max.

A short shaft is NOT good in my opinion. In any waves at all the prop will be out of water.
A long shaft is ok unless you get into short chop and then you will have trouble keeping the prop in the water.
If you can get a xtra long shaft you will be better off plus you will be able to access the engine power head and controls
better since this boat has no outboard motor well.

I will look for the V24 manual for you but it really is pretty generic and doesn't cover much.

duffer49

Post by duffer49 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll bite on the pizza thing but is it really pizza if it only has cheese?
I still have some work to do before I get to rigging.

Rackman
Deckhand

Post by Rackman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

I just bought a '73 and was wondering the same thing. Not too much information about this model...

topcat0399
First Officer

Post by topcat0399 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:07 pm

Rackman wrote:I just bought a '73 and was wondering the same thing. Not too much information about this model...
What exactly are you wondering about?

I wish we had a 9.9 xtra long shaft motor instead of the long shaft 15. Someday.

Most sailboats of this size are similar (with many variations) in function so I suggest you read up on the subject on the internet.
A 1973 Venture 224 is a fractional rig swing keel fiberglass sailboat with a poptop.

Common troubles on an old Venture are
leaky windows, soft decks, rotted interior, worn out seat and bed cushions, leaky deck fittings, worn out sails, worn out trailer,
worn out rudder etc etc etc. For example - The fore stay turnbuckle snapped when I first raised the mast in the driveway
(better there than on the water!!!!).

Our old boat had all of these problems and many many more when we bought it and is currently in year 5 of our planned 10 year restore
and I didn't know a darn thing about it (or boats in general) when I hauled her home. Now I know plenty all learned the hard way.

I essentially tore out EVERYTHING in the interior and have slowly been putting it back in between sail outings and frozen winters.
We have changed almost everything from the original layout of this boat. For example - we have extended the vberth by about 2 feet to reach all the way to the keel trunk. Our port a pot is now by the companion way. We changed the main sheet to a mid boom set up, all sail control lines now run to cockpit, the horrid aluminum framed windows are GONE forever, the location of the flotation in the rear has been vastly changed, and many many other mods with many more to come.

I have learned to sail, replace cores, build fiberglass structure, fix motors and solve a billion other problems but we LOVE our old boat.
All problems can be solved with just a little research, determination , effort and of course $$$$$.

We sail this boat in all conditions day or night rain or snow up to 3 weeks at a time and have the ground tackle to deal with it. We almost never spend a night at a dock or marina.

I suggest you learn about your vessel and then ask more specific questions so that a qualified answer can be provided - we all are happy to help.

Sail boats are an addiction which means love/hate pain/joy to achieve the lifestyle.

Happy sails.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 pm

+1 Awesome post topcat0399. Always buy an old boat first. My Columbia Sabre was older than me, and it taught me how to own a boat. Ultimately cost me nothing; $4000 spent, $4000 sold after ten years. Bought it for $800 out of auction, spent most of that money keeping it on a mooring and powering it with a 4hp honda, got ten years out of it when I was young.

Too easy to sail though; The Mac taught me that.

Rackman
Deckhand

Post by Rackman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

topcat0399 wrote:
Rackman wrote:I just bought a '73 and was wondering the same thing. Not too much information about this model...
What exactly are you wondering about?

I wish we had a 9.9 xtra long shaft motor instead of the long shaft 15. Someday.

Most sailboats of this size are similar (with many variations) in function so I suggest you read up on the subject on the internet.
A 1973 Venture 224 is a fractional rig swing keel fiberglass sailboat with a poptop.

Common troubles on an old Venture are
leaky windows, soft decks, rotted interior, worn out seat and bed cushions, leaky deck fittings, worn out sails, worn out trailer,
worn out rudder etc etc etc. For example - The fore stay turnbuckle snapped when I first raised the mast in the driveway
(better there than on the water!!!!).

Our old boat had all of these problems and many many more when we bought it and is currently in year 5 of our planned 10 year restore
and I didn't know a darn thing about it (or boats in general) when I hauled her home. Now I know plenty all learned the hard way.

I essentially tore out EVERYTHING in the interior and have slowly been putting it back in between sail outings and frozen winters.
We have changed almost everything from the original layout of this boat. For example - we have extended the vberth by about 2 feet to reach all the way to the keel trunk. Our port a pot is now by the companion way. We changed the main sheet to a mid boom set up, all sail control lines now run to cockpit, the horrid aluminum framed windows are GONE forever, the location of the flotation in the rear has been vastly changed, and many many other mods with many more to come.

I have learned to sail, replace cores, build fiberglass structure, fix motors and solve a billion other problems but we LOVE our old boat.
All problems can be solved with just a little research, determination , effort and of course $$$$$.

We sail this boat in all conditions day or night rain or snow up to 3 weeks at a time and have the ground tackle to deal with it. We almost never spend a night at a dock or marina.

I suggest you learn about your vessel and then ask more specific questions so that a qualified answer can be provided - we all are happy to help.

Sail boats are an addiction which means love/hate pain/joy to achieve the lifestyle.

Happy sails.
I was wondering if anyone had anymore info about these boats. One issue on mine is the cockpit drain. The location is terrible and it seems as if the deck has sagged or something because the drain isn't the lowest point. I think that the cockpit water is also leaking through the trunk and into the boat. Have you had this problem? I had the same problem with the windows, but have fixed that. I just rebbeded them....so far so good. I'm also interested in mods others have completed, like the on s you stated!! Sounds awesome!!

topcat0399
First Officer

Post by topcat0399 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:40 pm

ruh ro! cockpit drain. I assume you mean the scupper that the keel winch cable runs through.

I bet it has 2 small screw heads on either side of the scupper. In the hole itself should be a brass tube.
Is the cockpit floor at all cracked? How soft is the cockpit floor?

Anyway - yes we had this same problem. Our cockpit floor was cracked around the small screws and very soft around the scupper.
Water regularly ran inside the boat from here.

What can happen is someone might have removed the board INSIDE the boat that sits below
the companionway (or it may be rotted and not doing its job any more).
This board is attached to the stringers on the bottom of the boat and it supports the front
end of the cockpit and the bottom edge of the companionway where everyone steps all the time.
This board is CRITICAL to the integrity of your boat.
There is a similar board in the lazerette that supports the rear of the cockpit.

OR the floor core is soaked and has sunk down around the rear of the keel trunk and the scupper is now the high point in the cockpit.

For us not only did the scupper leak inside the boat but had soaked and rotted the entire cockpit floor
core which is a layer of 3/8" plywood under the top layers of fiberglass.

I ended up replacing the entire cockpit floor and devised a new sunken scupper with PVC tube.
I used a sheet of 1" balsa instead of the plywood since a local shop gave it to me for free.

I suggest you make a full inspection of the cockpit and support system to determine exactly what has happened.
What has sagged, what is rotted, how soaked the core might be. Take a screwdriver and using the blunt (handle end) and tap the cockpit floor everywhere top and bottom. A good core sounds like a lively "thack thack" a soaked or rotted core sounds like a dead "thunk thunk". You can't miss it.

Find out how much you are dealing with and go from there. There are different ways you might fix it.

Good luck with that window re-bedding - I had ours apart 4 times to rebed and finally did away with the frames and glued lexan directly to the window openings. Fixed forever and much nicer windows.

Keep posting buddy - I'm here for ya because I been there done that on the same boat.

Rackman
Deckhand

Post by Rackman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:27 pm

topcat0399 wrote:ruh ro! cockpit drain. I assume you mean the scupper that the keel winch cable runs through.

I bet it has 2 small screw heads on either side of the scupper. In the hole itself should be a brass tube.
Is the cockpit floor at all cracked? How soft is the cockpit floor?

Anyway - yes we had this same problem. Our cockpit floor was cracked around the small screws and very soft around the scupper.
Water regularly ran inside the boat from here.

What can happen is someone might have removed the board INSIDE the boat that sits below
the companionway (or it may be rotted and not doing its job any more).
This board is attached to the stringers on the bottom of the boat and it supports the front
end of the cockpit and the bottom edge of the companionway where everyone steps all the time.
This board is CRITICAL to the integrity of your boat.
There is a similar board in the lazerette that supports the rear of the cockpit.

OR the floor core is soaked and has sunk down around the rear of the keel trunk and the scupper is now the high point in the cockpit.

For us not only did the scupper leak inside the boat but had soaked and rotted the entire cockpit floor
core which is a layer of 3/8" plywood under the top layers of fiberglass.

I ended up replacing the entire cockpit floor and devised a new sunken scupper with PVC tube.
I used a sheet of 1" balsa instead of the plywood since a local shop gave it to me for free.

I suggest you make a full inspection of the cockpit and support system to determine exactly what has happened.
What has sagged, what is rotted, how soaked the core might be. Take a screwdriver and using the blunt (handle end) and tap the cockpit floor everywhere top and bottom. A good core sounds like a lively "thack thack" a soaked or rotted core sounds like a dead "thunk thunk". You can't miss it.

Find out how much you are dealing with and go from there. There are different ways you might fix it.

Good luck with that window re-bedding - I had ours apart 4 times to rebed and finally did away with the frames and glued lexan directly to the window openings. Fixed forever and much nicer windows.

Keep posting buddy - I'm here for ya because I been there done that on the same boat.
You got it! That board inside was rotted...bad!!! The cockpit seems firm, so I'm going to let it ride as is. I was thinking of trying to jack up the cockpit somehow and replace that board,inside. I don't want to cause any damage though, so we'll see how that goes. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have a perpetual puddle in the cockpit for now. I do need to somehow seal up around the keel cable to prevent water from entering the boat..

topcat0399
First Officer

Post by topcat0399 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 am

Feel free to poke around at this site if you like. It shows some of the
constant construction zone we have been sailing in for the last few years.

click on the dasbOOT (29) link on the left of the page to get to sub folders.

http://s729.photobucket.com/user/topcat ... ry/dasbOOt

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:21 am

I had a v22.2 that I put a half inch thick foam panel in the floor of the cockpit it left it about two inches shorter then the full length so there was a half inch "step down" to the drain. I glassed over the foam. That stiffened everything right up. The woodwork in my boat was all in good shape, but the cockpit floor was sagging from age I guess and there was always a little bit of water on the floor.
Ix