Helpful Restoration Book for Venture and Other Mac Owners

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Helpful Restoration Book for Venture and Other Mac Owners

Post by Bilgemaster » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Ahoy there! I'm a newbie Mac 26X owner who just popped in here to the Venture Discussion Area to give a plug for Brian Gilbert's great little book, Fix it and sail: Everything you need to know to buy and restore a small sailboat on a shoestring (Camden, ME : International Marine, 2006) [ISBN 0-07-145809-3]. It turns out that of the many old boat choices he discusses at length, Mr. Gilbert opted to restore a Venture 222. I have personally found many of his tips and suggestions very helpful in the very light restoration of my own new "hole in the water" 2001 26X, and I imagine any newly-minted Venture owner or someone undertaking a full restoration of pretty much any "Classic Mac" might find this book even more so. As well as the previously-given Amazon link for the book, if you have 3 hours to kill (or go do something else), it seems the book is also available as a freebie download from DataFile.com at http://www.datafile.com/d/TVRFd01EazBOZ ... 20Sail.zip, though they'll make you wait as a "non-member" for a long spell until the download commences.

Anyhow, Enjoy and we'll see you out there!

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Helpful Restoration Book for Venture and Other Mac Owner

Post by Catigale » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:12 am

Good book and he bares his soul about mistakes he made along the way. There are a few things he is a bit unclear about...and he does rankle one of my pet peeves....cinder blocks as jack stands. No no no.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 am

Catigale wrote:Good book and he bares his soul about mistakes he made along the way. There are a few things he is a bit unclear about...and he does rankle one of my pet peeves....cinder blocks as jack stands. No no no.
Agreed: cinder blocks bad. Harbor Freight jackstands are cheap and go on sale often enough to make such crumbly supports folly. They also have a variety of hydraulic lifts and jacks. I'm also thinking the motorcycle jack might be useful for getting the hull up briefly for subsequent jack support for hard to reach bottom painting nooks and crannies.
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecossebob
Deckhand

Post by ecossebob » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Anyone wanting to lift their Mac to safely remove their trailer paint etc, might be interested in a portable adjustable Gantry Crane sold by Northern Tool and Equipment.

It is adjustable from 8ft 3.5 ins. to 12 ft 8 ins in height.
7ft 10 ins. wide between the uprights.
Rolls on lockable swivel casters.

If the rear of the boat was raised and blocked as others have described here, this Gantry could slip across the boat and using a sling raise the bow lifting the boat off the trailer.

The only possible problem might be if you wanted to remove the trailer completely. The 7 ft 10 ins. width might interfere with the trailer wheels. I can't measure mine at this time to verify this. But I think we are looking probably a couple of ins.

Looking at pictures of the design I think this would easily be fixed with a simple mod. to pick up the missing ins. The gantry is rated to lift 3000 lbs and we are only lifting the bow, I don't think this simple mod would compromise safety.

It costs $669.00, but it is portable and knocks down for transportation. Perhaps a few members, or a club could buy together and share.
Anyway it would be a much safer way to work on our boats than some of the methods I have read.

By the way I'm not affiliated with Northern, Sorry this is so long, but hope this is useful to someone.

Catch you later Bob.

Bill Reichert
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Bill Reichert » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:50 am

I can wait 3 hours for the download. I have 4 more weeks in a wheelchair for my broken ankle.