Where to look for 26C models for sale?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Where to look for 26C models for sale?

Post by Tomfoolery »

Has a spinnaker and pole, too, but it doesn't say what kind of spinnaker (could be OEM asymmetric, with a wisker pole, rather than a symmetric, which is much more involved). And a chemical head (doesn't say what kind). Knotmeter (thru-hull type?), but I don't know what a "profondimètre" is. Probably a depth instrument, but we have some French-Canadians here who I'm sure could confirm or correct. Original cushions (same color scheme and type as the :macx: ). 2-stroke 9.9 hp OB, which is (IMO) just fine, and very light weight.

Looks like a nice find, if you ask me. Don't know about price, but the exchange rate is certainly favorable to the US at the moment.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Generally if it says spinnaker and pole one would assume a symmetric, would be a very large whisker pole for a assy.

That may be a bargaining point, symmetrics are far less popular amongst cruisers and racers that can get away with a assy within class rules.

If you can pay a bit more up front for a boat that needs very little its always a better choice than paying less for a boat that needs work and has been neglected, good boats are already holes in the water to throw money into, bad boats are HUGE holes in the water and it is very rare that by the time they are ready to go they actually cost less than the good boat in the first place and you have wasted all that time and hard work when you could of been sailing
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Hmmmmmm - one pic shows a Maine registration on the bow, the other a Texas registration. :|
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Tomfoolery wrote:Hmmmmmm - one pic shows a Maine registration on the bow, the other a Texas registration. :|
One photo shroud covers, no shroud covers in other photo
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

sailboatmike wrote:Generally if it says spinnaker and pole one would assume a symmetric, would be a very large whisker pole for a assy.

That may be a bargaining point, symmetrics are far less popular amongst cruisers and racers that can get away with a assy within class rules.

If you can pay a bit more up front for a boat that needs very little its always a better choice than paying less for a boat that needs work and has been neglected, good boats are already holes in the water to throw money into, bad boats are HUGE holes in the water and it is very rare that by the time they are ready to go they actually cost less than the good boat in the first place and you have wasted all that time and hard work when you could of been sailing

mmmm, on more than one occassion I have bought a cheaper boat fixed it up the way I like it (new wiring, motor, radios and safety gear - possibly trailer) used it for years and sold it for more than it cost me because the fittings that matter were then only X years old not X + all the years before (probably original & clapped out etc). And I didn't have to repair X years into ownership when the old bits clapped out anyway...

Most electrical wiring jobs I have seen are a disasater waiting to happen.

I can't go sailing for an hour after work - but I can spend it on repairs - not time missed from sailing but time invested in future sailing....

It is all about knowing what the repairs will cost and buying at the right price and then getting a reliable boat. Pay too much and of course you will overcapitalise but still will have a boat with more reliable gear.

There, that should get a discussion going :wink: :wink:
sail4fun
Deckhand

Post by sail4fun »

Thanks for all of the sleuthing and advice! We are going to Montreal to look at that boat next weekend. Hopefully it will be in good shape. In the meantime we have been out on our Flying Scot. Summer in Vermont is far too short to miss any chances to sail!
sail4fun
Deckhand

Post by sail4fun »

Here are some pictures of the boat we are looking at this weekend. See anything special we should check into? I was not sure what those ports?/speakers? were in the cockpit.

Also anyone in the Montreal area interested in helping us check it out this weekend? :)

Thanks again for all the help!

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

sail4fun wrote:Here are some pictures of the boat we are looking at this weekend. See anything special we should check into? I was not sure what those ports?/speakers? were in the cockpit.

Also anyone in the Montreal area interested in helping us check it out this weekend?
Sure, I'm Montreal based. Send me a pm and let me know what you need.

Found this: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... E8zLDjEVYw