Anyone sail Lake Champlain (or nearby)?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
sail4fun
Deckhand

Anyone sail Lake Champlain (or nearby)?

Post by sail4fun »

We are looking into getting a 26c for Lake Champlain sailing and would love to talk/meet with someone who does just that. I have yet to sail on a 26C but have sailed many other boats. I would love to see one in action as we finalize our choice.

Thanks in advance.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Anyone sail Lake Champlain (or nearby)?

Post by Catigale »

Take a peek in the Destinations Forum, but I don't recall seeing any Mac C postings in that venue
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Our boat is a 26X. We cruised the entire length of Lake Champlain last summer, from the head of the lake at Whitehall to its outlet at St. Jean, Quebec, where it enters the Richileau River. It's a wonderful place to cruise and sail. We had our mast raised for the entire time we were on Lake Champlain, and were able to sail on several occasions. When the wind failed we were compelled to motor, since we needed to make progress on our Great Loop trip. You can read about our time on Lake Champlain, and view pictures, by looking at our website: http://chinook.cecka.us. Highlights for us were Whitehall, Vergennes, the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Valcour Island, and Plattsburg, to mention just a few.
sail4fun
Deckhand

Post by sail4fun »

Thanks, that looks like a wonderful trip! Living so close to Lake Champlain it seems to call out for a bigger boat to enjoy it more.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

We spend a lot of the summer at our lake house on northern Lake Champlain, so stop in! We're on the tip of Point Au Fer, just south of Rouses Point, NY. I've seen at least 5 Mac's on the lake in our area, and there's one slipped in our nearby marina on the Great Chazy River, which empties into King Bay. We don't happen to have our Mac up there presently, but I imagine once I have a place for it we may move it up there.

There are loads of places to go and see on the lake, too many to list. But if you want, contact me via PM or eMail and we'll talk.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Is Lake Michigan "nearby"? :)
sail4fun wrote:We are looking into getting a 26c for Lake Champlain sailing and would love to talk/meet with someone who does just that. I have yet to sail on a 26C but have sailed many other boats. I would love to see one in action as we finalize our choice.

Thanks in advance.
sail4fun
Deckhand

Post by sail4fun »

dlandersson wrote:Is Lake Michigan "nearby"? :)
Not with a 5 year old :) but thanks for the offer! Maybe if we find ourselves out that way!
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

But, but...I can say "sacre blue!!!" and "zeuts alors!!!" in the best tradition of monsieur Pepe LePhew. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7k4LXM1rE
sail4fun wrote:
Not with a 5 year old :) but thanks for the offer! Maybe if we find ourselves out that way!
sail4fun
Deckhand

Post by sail4fun »

dlandersson wrote:But, but...I can say "sacre blue!!!" and "zeuts alors!!!" in the best tradition of monsieur Pepe LePhew. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7k4LXM1rE
sail4fun wrote:
Well that does make it much better :)
jkfinity
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by jkfinity »

I have a Mac 222 that I trailer to Lake Champlain, usually out of Shelburne Bay