V222 swing keel lock bolt

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

V222 swing keel lock bolt

Post by LoHo »

Reading through the manual (thanks, MacGregorsailors!), I see that it recommends that one only put the down lock bolt in if hitting something is unlikely, and if in shoal or obstruction-laden waters, put the bolt in and ease the keel down to rest on it. However, in a knockdown, that might let the keel slide back in and let one turtle. Has anyone used some sort of sacrificial lock, like a wooden dowel or plastic rod, that would keep the keel down, but snap first in the event of hitting something?
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: V222 swing keel lock bolt

Post by Tomfoolery »

I've never had a boat with a keel lock bolt (though I have had them with heavy swing keels), but I have heard of folks using a wooden rod to lock it down in case of a knockdown, for the reason you gave.

Not even a real data point, but it's something at least. :|
drrhein
Sailboat: Venture 21

Post by drrhein »

I'm new to Ventures but not to sailing, I have a 21, but I did remove a (with MUCH effort) badly bent lock bolt. So I'm not sure letting the keel rest on it is a good idea. Plus, as an engineer, it seems to me that letting the keel rest on the bolt, as opposed to bolting it properly, actually changes how far down the keel goes and if not down all the way could add to an already fairly tender tendency. The manual I have says nothing about letting the keel rest on the bolt. OTH, hitting something while keel-down and locked could certainly result in major damage, probably to the lock bolt and surrounding fiberglass. My solution is an aluminum lock-bolt which if 20% over torqued will snap off if you hit something. An aviation trick which works. Order 6061-T6 grade which offers the lowest shear strength. I think aluminumfasteners.com has them.

I find wooden dowels problematic in a number of ways. Getting it to be tight enough, rapid working wear (maybe only a day's use) among them.

S/V Amory, Charleston
Jonair222
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by Jonair222 »

Dam LoHo!

WERE YOU ALWAYS THIS SMART?