Fuel filter placement?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
warren631
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Fuel filter placement?

Post by warren631 »

Should a water separating fuel filter be placed before or after the primer ball in the fuel line to the motor?
Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Fuel filter placement?

Post by Ponaldpe »

warren631 wrote:Should a water separating fuel filter be placed before or after the primer ball in the fuel line to the motor?
I mount my filter after the primer ball, for two reasons, the primer ball seems to let dirt ( if you have any in the fuel ) settle in it, and when changing the filter you can use the primer ball to fill the filter.. That said many engine manufacturers say filter first thing from the fuel tank. I have never had any trouble the way I use mine.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Ours is between the tank and the bulb. Never a problem and I've taken the outboard off for storage a year at a time and mounted it, attached the fuel line and fired it right up without touching the bulb but did fire the motor in a tank before mounting it up. I change the water pump impeller if I have any questions about how the pump is working so want to fire it up in a tank first.

More here on the filter, tank and plumbing ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-36.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

I have mine INSIDE my Mercury 60HP 2011, see photo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LvJVe ... R4LkUH4ipg

Works well for 2 seasons now!
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

I don't know what is wrong. Its driving me crazy. I have tried the filter before and after the squeeze ball. The squeeze ball just does not suck ANY fuel from the tank. NO fuel is even getting into the filter. Yes the tank is full. Yes I have the squeeze ball the right way around with arrow pointing to motor. Yes I have blown through all pipes and they are clear.
My filter is a Moeller 033320-10 10 Micron Water Separating Filter Kit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moeller-0333 ... t/50136415
Next thing I'm going to try is to bypass the filter with a short piece of pipe. I have another spare fuel line with squeeze ball, without filter, and it works fine.
The filter has two inputs and outputs, one pair on each side, so I plugged the input and output on one side and I use the other side. Do squeeze balls go bad? Any suggestions to help me sleep nights? Thanks!
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

warren631 wrote:...Do squeeze balls go bad? Any suggestions to help me sleep nights? Thanks!
1). Yes, the squeeze ball is rubber and may crack and leak air. The check valves inside can also stick open or closed. Ethonal in fuel may affect it as well. Before replacing the squeeze ball, test it and the line in bucket of water or fuel to see if it can draw.

2). Try opening a window and play a sounds of nature recording, use a leg pillow for back pain, don't read sailing forums in bed...
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Are your holding the bulb vertical with the arrow up while squeezing it? This can help in some cases....

https://youtu.be/Mrt38-ulYFc

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

Yes I tried holding it vertical with the arrow pointing up but no suction. I will just test the ball by itself tomorrow. I will let you know. Thanks for the suggestions.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

Is the tank vent open when squeezing the primer bulb?

Are the hose clamp connections / fittings tight?

Is the primer bulb going flat and not re-inflating? If it does re-inflate, does it do so fast or slow?

Some fuel lines have interior liners that can delaminate / deform and cause a blockage.

Test the fuel lines and filter head separately by blowing air thru them to to confirm no blockages.
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

I found the problem this morning. There was some kind of automatic valve in the fuel tank discharge cap fitting that was only open if a certain type of pipe connector was used that pressed in on a plastic insert in the fitting. I guess it was for a quick disconnect. I just connected the fuel line pipe with a clamp to the fuel tank and this didn't open the fuel cap valve. I don't remember any special kind of fitting there last season. Maybe it was stuck open. Anyway I drilled through the fuel cap valve fitting and removed the plastic slug and spring in the fuel tank cap. Running great now but it takes more primming to get the filter full. Thanks for the help.