Peak "the Generator" headsail

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Peak "the Generator" headsail

Post by Orkia »

Does anyone have any experience with "the generator" from Peak Sails? It is a Genniker. A nylon Genoa.

Right now I have a 90% jib. I am wondering how it will work for a second headsail for light wind.
Cougar
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Peak "the Generator" headsail

Post by Cougar »

I've been searching for exactly the same thing for a couple of months. There's very little info around, but the scarce comments are fairly positive. And it's not expensive!
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Some mixed comments about Peak Sails.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/peak-sails-nor ... ica-mclean

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f12 ... 74347.html
Orkia wrote:Does anyone have any experience with "the generator" from Peak Sails? It is a Genniker. A nylon Genoa.

Right now I have a 90% jib. I am wondering how it will work for a second headsail for light wind.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Based on previous discussions on this board and elsewhere, I will be spending my sail replacement dollars either with BWYachts or Hyde. Both companies contribute to this forum, and are important resources for our boats. Peak has nothing positive going for them other than price. You get what you pay for.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:wink:
Starscream wrote:Based on previous discussions on this board and elsewhere, I will be spending my sail replacement dollars either with BWYachts or Hyde. Both companies contribute to this forum, and are important resources for our boats. Peak has nothing positive going for them other than price. You get what you pay for.
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

Stick with BWY and/or Hyde. Both are very invested with their products and go the distance with your selection. FYI if you call or email either of them and they are slow to respond (normally not the case) it is because they truly care about their customers. If they didn't get back to you right away it is because they are take their time providing excellent service to the individual that called or emailed them just before you did. Remember sailing season is their Holiday season. BWY (Todd, Cheryl, Ezra) & Hyde (Judy) know sails for the Mac better than anyone! BWY knows the Mac product line and are always willing to help.
bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn »

Another plug for BWY and Hyde. I have purchased several sails from BWY including standard jib, 150 genoa, and main for 26 D and X. No issues what so ever.
Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar »

It's all fine that everybody's so happy about their supplier. But the truth of the matter is that the "Generator" is a rather unique concept. No other sailmaker has anything similar in the catalog, and definitely not for the price.
Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen »

Seconding BWY...

Currently have sail slides being added to my sail at BWY.

So far the process has been painless. They verified my sail is not blown out, relaxed my bolt rope and are adding slides.

Sail should be done this week and back to me next week.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I have a custom made Drifter 350sq ft 3/4 oz challenger cloth it,s basically cut like a Genoa so u can point higher with it than a spinnaker , so it,s basically the same thing as ur smaller Generator but with challenger 1.5oz cloth so a little stronger than mine , so I don,t see why u could not a get a drifter made from any other sail maker 150% like ur genoa from 1.5oz cloth if u r not wanting to go to something bigger than 150% , just an opinion not written in stone :wink:
maybe some other,s would give their thought,s :)

J 8)
Sisu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by Sisu »

I know I'm resurrecting a topic from March here, but I would like to point out that the Mac 25/26's very fractional sailplan doesn't lend itself well to a Code 0 style sail. For a true "drifter" sail I'd almost be tempted to run a masthead halyard (just take it down in a hurry if it starts blowing!). If you're looking to supplement your 90%, just get a standard genoa - it will be much more versatile. I have a 155% from Hyde and I'm happy with it. My only regret is not going for a radial cut for a bit longer lifespan. Then, if you ever get the itch to add a downwind sail, look into a proper asymmetrical spinnaker. You'll be much happier with off-wind performance vs the compromise offered by the Code 0.