New Sailor, new to me boat

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

ScourgeoftheHudson
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

New Sailor, new to me boat

Post by ScourgeoftheHudson » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Hello hive mind! Just bought my first boat (a dangerous slope, I know) and a fellow Mac owner pointed me here.

Just got one of them "wicked fast" 26Ds, hasn't been in the water for a couple years, so definitely some inside cleaning to do. After trailering her home, I noticed standing water in the back hatch with the fuel tank and inside the cobin, which had been dry when I looked with the seller. I'm thinking collected rainwater leaking in or bilges that were never pumped out?

Also, noticed it seems the PO or someone before them had removed the head bulkhead, any suggestions on making or finding a replacement?

And I know for "ettiquet" I'll get some pictures of it all up soon for y'all to devour. Lol

Cheers!

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New Sailor, new to me boat

Post by dlandersson » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 am

I can't speak to the details (I don't have a 26D) - but I am jealous. :P

Johnacuda
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Johnacuda » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm

I seem to recall something about the new guy buying the pizza.So says the fellow Mac owner with the pointer finger. :x

Orkia
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Orkia » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 pm

If the boat has been sitting for awhile you may need to rebed the penetrations on the deck. When I bought mine three years ago. I rebedded everything and caulked the top of the rub rail. This stopped the water. I’ve noticed it has started to come back, so I am thinking it is time to recaulk the rub rail.

ScourgeoftheHudson

Post by ScourgeoftheHudson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 pm

I got all the water out, and was planning on resealing the deck hardware with butyl tape tomorrow. It rained her last couple days and I noticed water coming in under/behind the window and chain plate areas. Gonna try to seal them too.

svscott
Just Enlisted

Post by svscott » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:13 pm

I too have a 26d and have owned it since 2005. Congrats on the new purchase!
Water intrusion is an ongoing struggle. Fortunately, after rebedding all of the deck hardware, caulking the window perimeters with 795, caulking the rub rail to deck upper joint with 3m 4200 or similar, and installing gasket on the hatches, any of the water in my boat has been confined to the bilge and the living space is dry. It hasn't always been that way.
My rub rail and/or chain plates are leaking a little bit again but a sponge makes quick work of removing it from under the side benches.
For the bulkhead, template it with cardboard and cut some 1/2" plywood then bolt it in place and you should get it back to good. Is it the wall at the vee berth or behind the sink? Both of them are bolted to the top and bottom halves so chances are, the bulkhead is somewhat structural.

ScourgeoftheHudson

Post by ScourgeoftheHudson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice, definitely looking into getting her sealed up for winter and then delving into the rats nest of electrical for the winter project.
It's the vee berth wall that's missing, and the holes were filled, so I'll be trying to figure out how best to reattach once I get it templated.