'89 26D missing bulkhead

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

ScourgeoftheHudson
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

'89 26D missing bulkhead

Post by ScourgeoftheHudson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Hey all. Any suggestions for finding a replacement head bulkhead for my 26D or how to best make something? The better half isnt too keen on the being that exposed. Lol

Maraquita
Deckhand

Re: '89 26D missing bulkhead

Post by Maraquita » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:50 pm

I don't know about buying one. If Blue Water Yachts hasn't got one, I doubt that anybody does. I just looked at my D and I am sure that my forward bulkhead is original, it is simply 1/2" plywood, with either vinyl or Formica installed to impersonate wood. I doubt that it is even marine plywood down there, since it shouldn't ever get very wet. I would simply cut one to shape out of a sanded birch or even cherry faced ply. The shape is fairly easy to see by looking at the molded sections in the liner and the bolt holes where it attaches.

A post is bolted to the forward V-Bunk support and reaches the top of the liner. The door hinges to this post and latches "reasonably tightly" to the centerboard trunk. The forward bulkhead screws to this post and is bolted to the liner. You should be able to see some holes around the area that are about 3/8" Diam. These are for bolts through the plywood with large area washers installed under nuts under the liner. They look like a real B_____ to get to for tightening.

My aft bulkhead was replaced by a previous owner with a curtain held on by simple compression rods. He claimed that it allowed better ventilation on warm days. The curtain is easy enough to open and close, and my wife has yet to complain about it. Regardless, the mounting holes for a bulkhead are visible there, also. These would be easier to reach, since you can reach under the sink and over where the galley light is.

If pictures of the door, or forward bulkhead would help, I can take some this weekend. I haven't attached images in the new site yet, but I can probably find a 12 year old to help me figure out!

ScourgeoftheHudson

Post by ScourgeoftheHudson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Thank you for the details. I just got the boat last weekend and have still been trying to clear out the wasps that I brought back along with it. I figured perhaps the PO took it out to save weight, possibly for racing, but that's only a guess. I was thinking of using that or a hard foamed PVC board like Sintra. I'm also gonna be hitting a couple of the local boat boneyards to see if I can find a poptop that isn't warped up at the front and cracked in the middle.
Thanks!

Johnacuda
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Johnacuda » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 pm

ScourgeoftheHudson wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm
Thank you for the details. I just got the boat last weekend and have still been trying to clear out the wasps that I brought back along with it. I figured perhaps the PO took it out to save weight, possibly for racing, but that's only a guess. I was thinking of using that or a hard foamed PVC board like Sintra. I'm also gonna be hitting a couple of the local boat boneyards to see if I can find a poptop that isn't warped up at the front and cracked in the middle.
Thanks!

C'mon Joe, your boat has been rigged and shaken down for more than a day, Time to take it out and get your boards wet. :D

The scourge is out of excuses.