Trailer Mods required overseas

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Neo
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Trailer Mods required overseas

Post by Neo »

Hi,

Can someone please shed some light on this.....
I recently brought up a 26M from VIC to NSW on its original Macgregor trailer. One wheel hub is towing out so I've been looking at replacing the axle. One supplier I range said in NSW you can't have more that 1400Kgs on a single axle but I can't find anything that substantiates that claim on the NSW Services site?

Does anyone drive a NSW registered Single Axle Macgregor trailer?

Also, what are the mods (mentioned above) that need to be done to my trailer for NSW rego?

Any comments or information would be gratly appreciated.

All the best.
Neo
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

The single axle trailer for my X was made compliant by Resort Trailers in ACT

Its rated at 1600Kg, I believe you can get rated up to 2,000Kg on a single axle
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Thanks Mike,

Yes from what I've established .....
One axle - upto 2Ton but need a 50mm axle and Koyo bearings for that.
Less than 2Ton - Brakes do not need to be operable from within the vehicle.
Trailer inspection has to be done without the boat on it. But the trailer needs to be weighed to confirm the TARE (Trailer weight).

If anyone has any more tips please let me know?

All the best.
Neo
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Neo wrote:If anyone has any more tips please let me know?
From what I've read from Australian sailors here, the factory coupler isn't legal there. It needs to have a manual parking brake, and the usual type I see there is the round, cast (steel or iron) coupler with the big handle on top. Something to look into.
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Thanks Tom,

Fortunately a previous owner has had that part updated.

All the best.
Neo
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

There is no such limit for single axle under ADR. The wheels tyres axle etc.. need to be rated for the weight. If over 2000kg break away breaks etc.. need to be fitted. BTW even with two axles if they are less than a 1 metre apart they are classed as a single axle under the rules.

Trojan make a single DURATORQUE axle rated for 3000kg that can be fitted with electric drum breaks or discs. This can be fitted with a SURETRAC TYRE SIZE: 285/75X16 which is rated for 1500kg per tyre sadly the highest rated rim for a single axle I have seen is a 16x8" SUNRAYSIA at 1450kg so the whole rig can only be rated for 2900kg.

Now whether the rest of the trailer is up to the task is another story and regardless of what axle you fit the compliance plate on the :macm: trailer is only rated for 1950kg

For safety when I replace my brakes and axle next year I am planning on using a Transtyle torsion axle rated for 2200kg to give the 2000kg trailer some extra margin of error as the factory axle does seem flimsy for 2000kg.

VSB1 is the part of the ADR you need to read and comply with.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... spx#anc_19
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Thanks Kadet,

I have since used the original axle (which was reinforced on my tailer) and welded on two new stub axles. We removed the old short subs and 45mm stub spacer/blocks and Tig welded the complete length of the two long stubs down .... This took a LONG TIME! but I'm confident it will hold like this.
Not sure if Macgregor fitted the old stub spacers but they weakened the whole setup greatly. Yes the trailer is a bit higher now but the boat launches and retrieves great.

I also ended up fitting Demaxx discs and caliper .... these were worth every penny 8)

All the best.
Neo
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

After worrying about my trailer for years, (especially since one of the hubs angles out a bit when the boat is on the trailer), I decided to get the lads at the local marina to have a squiz a few months back while they were fixing something on the motor.

They reckon the slight angle is caused by the old rubber in the torsion axel and is not something I need to worry too much about (except for added tyre wear), unless I want to spend lots of money. He seems to think I shouldn't have any worries on our hopeful Whitsundays trip next year. I did do an 800km trip to Hervey Bay with no issues so hopefully he is correct!

After fitting incorrect sized tyres, I have had to raise my torsion arms up to clear the guards, and invert my hitch to even it up. Unfortunately I've found the higher trailer is a bit more of a pain unless you back the cars wheels in to the water (can no longer just drive it straight on). Actually I'm going to lower the torsion arms a click or two on the weekend and try and sort this out a bit because its a bit annoying.... :( ..
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

Neo wrote:Thanks Kadet,

I have since used the original axle (which was reinforced on my tailer) and welded on two new stub axles. We removed the old short subs and 45mm stub spacer/blocks and Tig welded the complete length of the two long stubs down .... This took a LONG TIME! but I'm confident it will hold like this.
Not sure if Macgregor fitted the old stub spacers but they weakened the whole setup greatly. Yes the trailer is a bit higher now but the boat launches and retrieves great.

I also ended up fitting Demaxx discs and caliper .... these were worth every penny 8)

All the best.
Neo
So did you use an oxy spanner to get those old stubs off 8)

Below is some pics of my restore, hope to get another 18-24 months out of it.

Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Sorry Kadet just caught up with this thread.

My steel trailer has leaf springs not torsion bar so it looks very different to your one... got the old stubs off with a cutting disc on an angle grinder... took well over an hour.

All the best
:macm: Neo
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

kadet wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 am Trojan make a single DURATORQUE axle rated for 3000kg that can be fitted with electric drum breaks or discs. This can be fitted with a SURETRAC TYRE SIZE: 285/75X16 which is rated for 1500kg per tyre sadly the highest rated rim for a single axle I have seen is a 16x8" SUNRAYSIA at 1450kg so the whole rig can only be rated for 2900kg.
Hi Kadet,
Did you get around to doing the above?
How did it go and who were the best suppliers?

I getting ready for a new trailer build project and I'm wondering if you've managed to put together a fully ADR compliant rig and tow car and how you're achieving that?

All the best.
Neo
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

Neo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:32 pm
kadet wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 am Trojan make a single DURATORQUE axle rated for 3000kg that can be fitted with electric drum breaks or discs. This can be fitted with a SURETRAC TYRE SIZE: 285/75X16 which is rated for 1500kg per tyre sadly the highest rated rim for a single axle I have seen is a 16x8" SUNRAYSIA at 1450kg so the whole rig can only be rated for 2900kg.
Hi Kadet,
Did you get around to doing the above?
How did it go and who were the best suppliers?

I getting ready for a new trailer build project and I'm wondering if you've managed to put together a fully ADR compliant rig and tow car and how you're achieving that?

All the best.
Neo
No I refurbished the old axle, still got a few years left in it. Probably do the big upgrade when I retire in 3 years. Supercheap is a Trojan distributor and is where I was planning to source the parts as I will do the work myself.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

kadet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 am No I refurbished the old axle, still got a few years left in it. Probably do the big upgrade when I retire in 3 years.
Did you grind it back? ... Which treatments/paints did you apply?
I'm considering finishing the axles with that Black Tar stuff called Body Deadener. I've used it before with great results but not in salt water before. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sep ... /3185.html
kadet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 amSupercheap is a Trojan distributor and is where I was planning to source the parts as I will do the work myself.
This is a great tip (that I should have remembered :D ) ... Thanks :)
Trojan don't appear to do Axles... or am I missing something?
I have found one Axle manufacture in Brisbane that claim they can do 50mm Overlay (drop) axle but won't stamp that on the Axle but will put it on the invoice. In NSW I have to get an Engineers report just to get may trailer rated from 1,905Kg to 2,000Kg!! And if I go back to back to a single axle (much prefer tandem but daft ADR's) I might be able to avoid upgrading my tow car too. :|
kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet »

Neo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:07 am
kadet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 am No I refurbished the old axle, still got a few years left in it. Probably do the big upgrade when I retire in 3 years.
Did you grind it back? ... Which treatments/paints did you apply?
I'm considering finishing the axles with that Black Tar stuff called Body Deadener. I've used it before with great results but not in salt water before. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sep ... /3185.html
kadet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 amSupercheap is a Trojan distributor and is where I was planning to source the parts as I will do the work myself.
This is a great tip (that I should have remembered :D ) ... Thanks :)
Trojan don't appear to do Axles... or am I missing something?
I have found one Axle manufacture in Brisbane that claim they can do 50mm Overlay (drop) axle but won't stamp that on the Axle but will put it on the invoice. In NSW I have to get an Engineers report just to get may trailer rated from 1,905Kg to 2,000Kg!! And if I go back to back to a single axle (much prefer tandem but daft ADR's) I might be able to avoid upgrading my tow car too. :|
Sorry Neo I have been away for awhile and just saw your post.

Yes I stripped it back, wire wheel and sand blasted it. Coated in cold galv then used bituminous black underbody rust preventative similar to the septone stuff you mention I suspect.

The Australia site is down at moment but here are the duratorque Trojan Axles you just measure and order through supercheap.

https://trojan.co.nz/Duratorque-Straigh ... c9d418885/
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

No worries Kadet,

I've not done much since then anyway :D
I think your corrosion protection process is great :)

Many thanks.
Neo