anyone adapted aluminum M trailer to the X?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

BK
Captain

anyone adapted aluminum M trailer to the X?

Post by BK » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Has anyone tried to adapt the new aluminum M trailer to the X?

BK
Captain

Re: anyone adapted aluminum M trailer to the X?

Post by BK » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 am

Let me ask it this way, has anyone thought about getting the new M aluminum trailer and adapting it to the X and decided not to? I called Mac factory and they will sell the new M trailer for $2000 but you have to convert it to carry the X. Seems like a good deal if it will work.

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 am

The shape of the hull is slightly different but modifying the M bunks to match the X hull ought to be fairly straightforward exercise; certainly eaiser than trying to duplicate the trailer from scratch which many have done.

The issue for most of us has always been that the cost of shipping the trailer to (say) the East Coast would cost nearly as much as the trailer itself.

corkscrew
Engineer

Post by corkscrew » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:41 am

I spoke to a mac dealer and they said that while you should convert it (which they said is stupid easy) that it "can" be used as is. I am still trying to figure out how mac dealers and trailer dealers haven't caught on that there are hundreds of people searching for new mac trailers. If I owned a shop I would make sure to keep extra mac trailers on hand. Crazy....they could be making a fortune.

bill barchard
Deckhand

Post by bill barchard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:31 pm

The aluminum trailer sells for $2600 in Vancouver BC.
I have owned an aluminum boat for 30 + years and know the type of aluminum is critical. standard al disolver in sea water very very quikly---let alone electroysis problems. I can not find out what the trailer is actually made of. If MacGregor has fouled up as they did on the origional trailers ,the life on the new ones could be less than one year. They must be at least 50/50 marine alloy.

Phillip
First Officer

Post by Phillip » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Please, I don't wish to upset anyone here, but i do get jack of the negative comments made about the MacGregor Trailers.
I can't (and i say this tongue-in-cheek) for the life of me work out why those who are not happy with the MacGregor trailer don't go and get themselves a proper trailer made to suit the boat.
I have priced a 24' trailer to be made in San Diego, with dual axels, box steel, proper brakes etc etc in Gal, and the cheapest is $5,ooo thru to $7,ooo.
With the Mac, it is priced so the average family bloke can enjoy boating.
The trailer is very well designed and meets its needs perfectly.....and lets face it, priced so we can all afford one.
Just my view.
Cheers
Phillip

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Phillip,

Good to know ...
seems that adds appropriate perspective to Roger's asking price of $2,000 for the new Aluminum trailer, eh??~!

kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 am

My concern with the :macm: trailer is the mixing of reactive metals together steel, galvanized steel and aluminium. Though the galvanic reaction should only occur while the trailer is wet, overtime this will cause the aluminium to be “eaten” away.

I hope my simple solution of adding a couple of outboard sacrificial zinc/magnesium anodes to the aluminium frame should stop this.

Apart from the galvanised steel “axle” to support the torsion bars I think the trailer is simplistic functionality at it’s best.

As a side note I had a truck drop a load of recycled steel in front of me on the highway the other day. My tow vehicle does not weigh much more than the :macm: and the boat,outboard and light load is right on the limit of the vehicles legal towing capacity, I thought I was going to be in world of hurt. The recycled steal slashed a 15cm hole in the side wall of the outside trailer tire and instantly deflated it. I did not panic luckily and braked slowly. At no time did I feel like the trailer was about to jack-knife and boat and car pulled up straight much to my surprise. Though I would not like to tow this behemoth across the country I am still happy to do my 10 minute run up the highway to my ramp with some confidence in its stability. :?

LOUIS B HOLUB
Admiral

Post by LOUIS B HOLUB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 am

BK wrote:Has anyone tried to adapt the new aluminum M trailer to the X?
I have intertained that idea :!: My boat is slipped, but when I pull it from the Marina for sailing at another site, Im not comfortable with towing that much weight on a 1-axle trailer.
It would be nice having an aluminum trailer, with 4 wheels, and enough ability to carry the load amount of a Mac-X.

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Louis, as the owner of a standard steel, '01X trailer which I have modified to add the second axle, I empathize with your uncomfortableness. Although it is certainly possible to tow a boat the size of the Mac on a single axle trailer with some degree of safety and comfort, the key phrase in this sentence is "some degree". No matter what you do to upgrade the single axle trailer, you can't match the extra margin in towing stability and braking performance of a two axle trailer.

There's no question I sacrifice low speed and backing maneuverability. I've got nearly twice as many parts to maintain, break and repair, though I would argue the reduced loading of the parts allows them to break and require repair nearly 50% less often. I pay for an additional axle on the toll roads. To each his own; for me at least, it's time effort and money well spent. Without a doubt the single best mod I ever did on my Mac.

However, if this is what you're looking for, you need to look elsewhere than to the newer stock aluminum trailer. Bigger wheels & bigger radial tires, heavier duty axle, disc brakes, but unfortunately still only a single axle.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:52 pm

I completely agree with Chip. One of the first things I did to my then new 2002 trailer was add a second axle and replace the stock drum brakes with stainless disc brakes. We've towed our X approximately 24,000 miles on the modified trailer. I've completely repainted it once, rebuilt the bunks using that deck material made from recycled plastic, and most recently replaced the 4 stock fenders with a pair of elongated fenders that give better clearance above the tires. I've had 2 flats while towing (tandem axle really took the anxiety out of both situations). I've also had to repair the brakes after going down a lengthy grade, which caused the surge unit to engage brakes all the way down. I avoid trailering over such grades now. I've also sheared off lug nuts due to their becoming loose. I regularly tighten them now. I do launch in both fresh and salt water, but make a point of thoroughly rinsing after salt water rinses. The trailer does have its shortcomings, but, as modified, it's served us well and I'll continue taking it out on the highway as long as the metal remains sound.

Bob from Bothell
Location: Washington...."It'll Be Fine"....2002 26X....Honda 50 HP

Post by Bob from Bothell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:04 pm

My trailer for my 2002 26X was pretty rusted up - the brakes had pretty much disintegrated. I got a great deal on an almost new M aluminum trailer from Blue Water Yachts in Seattle a few months ago. Converting the trailer to fit my X took some time but was very doable and now it's working fine. I like the fact that the trailer is rated to support the heavier M, it gives me a little more margin of safety. And the trailer itself is a couple hundred pounds lighter which I can tell when pulling the boat up a hill.

RICH RUYACK
Deckhand
Location: Hudson Valley N.Y.,"NAUTICAL DREAMER"200026x Honda 50 hp

Post by RICH RUYACK » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:16 am

If I could buy the new m trailer for 2,000.00$ I would send the check right now. I bought a 2000x in great shape but the is really shot. I live in N.Y. and cannot even find a trailer mfg. who can build a new trailer for under 5,000.00$. I just finished trailering the boat 187 miles each way, and I was a nervous wreck. If anyone in the N.Y. metro area knows how or where I can get a similiar trailer dble. or tandeem please let me know. If i keep the current trailer everything will have to be repaced and upgraded, would rather buy a new alum. I heard that Kelly Hanson is opening a store in the Albany area, If thats true maybe they could sell us north easters a new trailer without killing us one the shipping. Please let me know if you hear anything. Thanks

BK
Captain

Post by BK » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Bob from bothel, could you go into detail about your conversion of the new M trailer to fit the X? Did you move the bunks or did the X boat line up to the M bunks like on the the X trailer? How about changing the angle of the bunks on the M trailer to fit the X boat, how did you do this? Do you know if Blue Water Marine has any more M trailers?

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I bought a new Tandem Aluminum trailer from Continental and for $2800 is just great. I just got back from a 450 mile trip to the keys pulling my F150 Extended cab with a standard Trans. and a 6 cylinder V6 4.2 litter 9 year old truck and pulls great. I did haul out with full ballast and was a short strain at Pennicamp.
This trailer has all Galvanized parts other than the aluminum frame, un like the new Mac. trailers with painted steel parts and aluminum frame. Also will load 5500 lbs boat alone and Trailer weighs 999 lbs.
Also the toung is much furter away allowing you to launch in most ramps with rear tires 6 ft. away from water.
I didn't put on the $500 aditional surge brakes as I wanted Stainless disk and will do my own for $385.
Dave
BK wrote:Has anyone tried to adapt the new aluminum M trailer to the X?