Trailer Camber and shims

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Inquisitor
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Trailer Camber and shims

Post by Inquisitor » Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 am

I've searched on camber and found the same issue I'm having, but no real practical solution. Maybe, I'm not searching on the right thing, but...

I have an 08' Aluminum trailer and my tires are about shot on the inside and I have maybe 6000 miles on them. The negative camber is noticable. I remember my Wolkswagon Sirroco had the same problem using this trailing arm suspension. Besides the torsion of the spring, the trailing arms also twist in torsion causing the negative camber. I don't feel that anything has yielded because when the boat is off the trailer, I can see that the tires have neutral or even positive camber. It appears the hubs come off the trailing arms with 4 bolts. I wonder, has anyone seen wedge shims that I could put between the hub and trailing arm to neutralize the camber?

dreamer
First Officer

Re: Trailer Camber and shims

Post by dreamer » Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 pm

Having the same problem. I think one of the problems is the original tires are not very good. I'm thinking of getting Goodyear Marathons. It would be nice to get at least 10,000 miles on a set. I 'm not really noticing a camber problem, but wondering if mine is more a toe-out issue. I am going to check the bearings for play this weekend. I was also wondering how sharp turns when backing up affects the tires.

raycarlson
Captain

Post by raycarlson » Sun May 16, 2010 9:39 am

On the new aluminum trailers with the UFP torsion axle the camber is set by putting a bend in the center of the axle tube thereby putting both wheels out at the 12 o'clock position.It is possible with the single axle standard set-up you could have hit a bad bunp or pothole hard enough to bend you axle out of camber,especially if it's only noticable on one side.with just one axle your trailer is just about maxed out on weight capacity so every component is at maximum stress level all the time.The goodyear Marathons are the tire i run on my 2008,I do have two axles so that could affect wear,but i'm approaching 10,000 miles on the trailer and all four tires are wearing great, if mileaage continues at the same rate and tire wear doesn't change i would expect these tires to go 40,000 easy.

Bill Reichert
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Bill Reichert » Sun May 16, 2010 12:10 pm

FWD Chryslers have the shims for the rear solid axle. If you can make a pattern and take it to a parts store they might be able to check for you.