New tow beast time

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: New tow beast time

Post by Highlander » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:28 pm

K9Kampers wrote:
Crikey wrote:Well done Tom. We'll do a tractor pull with my Ecoboost next time we get together! :)

R.
F150 vs Grand Cherokee... no boom, no bang, no fire... no fun!! :D
No,No,No,NO Grumpy , Take ur ecofuel & mix it with a can of bake beans = Boom, Bang, Fire . No Pun Intended !!
Where ever U be let the wind blow free !!

J 8)
PS we need to pour some Scotch inta Ya & see if we can put a wee smile on yer :)

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Pulled the trigger on a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the turbocharged 6-cylinder EcoDiesel. Factory tow package with 4- and 7-pin electrical connector next to the receiver, trailer sway control, all the usual electronics (but no CD player - that's an option, and changer is not even available).

I pick it up next Friday (Halloween). Since the boat will still be in my driveway, with the in-laws not taking their RV to Florida for another couple of weeks (I park the boat in their driveway, where the RV is now :wink: ), I'll take the boat for a ride on the local roads and Interstate and see how it does.

No pics yet. Forgot to take one when I saw it today. :P
Tom, didn't you tow your Mac with your Highlander? How did it do?

I just traded our '13 Highlander for a '15. Lot's of design improvements over the 2nd gen Highlander. I've never towed the Mac with it, however, I'm considering trying. I'll put a hitch on the thing to tow other toys. It does seem to have a better tranny as well as other cool tech onboard. Radar guided cruise control is pretty funky. It actually brakes the car if the car in front of your slows down.

Not as rugged as your Jeep, but seems much nicer than the 2nd gen Highlanders.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Russ -

It did OK. Power was good, though I don't have big hills to climb around here, but stability against sway makes it about as small as I'd want to go. The steering on the Highlander is a bit quick, so at highway speeds I had to be more careful than with the Jeep or the Odyssey, as tiny movement of the wheel would make it wander around a bit back there. Not white knuckle, but definitely have to pay attention. No trailer sway control that I'm aware of, even in the 2015's - that was one of the reasons I looked around beyond Toyota.

Braking was strong, though noticeably better with the surge brakes active - I did an A/B test once, just to see, with the lockout solenoid energized to see what it felt like without brakes. Ride was quite comfortable for an SUV, though you know this already. It had a 5000 lb tow rating, which is pretty good. A little higher than the 4Runner, in fact.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow mine with a Highlander again. I towed it to Toronto a couple of years ago with the Highlander, and it did fine. I do have a 2-axle trailer, though, which supposedly helps with sway (was the reason the PO's added the second axle, as they towed with a minivan). My tongue weight is definitely light, which is something I'm working on, as that will certainly make sway more of an issue.

A short-ish wheelbase also makes backing easier, as a short tractor, long trailer combo is as easy as it gets. :D :wink:

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:14 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Russ -

It did OK. Power was good, though I don't have big hills to climb around here, but stability against sway makes it about as small as I'd want to go. The steering on the Highlander is a bit quick, so at highway speeds I had to be more careful than with the Jeep or the Odyssey, as tiny movement of the wheel would make it wander around a bit back there. Not white knuckle, but definitely have to pay attention. No trailer sway control that I'm aware of, even in the 2015's - that was one of the reasons I looked around beyond Toyota.

Braking was strong, though noticeably better with the surge brakes active - I did an A/B test once, just to see, with the lockout solenoid energized to see what it felt like without brakes. Ride was quite comfortable for an SUV, though you know this already. It had a 5000 lb tow rating, which is pretty good. A little higher than the 4Runner, in fact.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow mine with a Highlander again. I towed it to Toronto a couple of years ago with the Highlander, and it did fine. I do have a 2-axle trailer, though, which supposedly helps with sway (was the reason the PO's added the second axle, as they towed with a minivan). My tongue weight is definitely light, which is something I'm working on, as that will certainly make sway more of an issue.

A short-ish wheelbase also makes backing easier, as a short tractor, long trailer combo is as easy as it gets. :D :wink:
Thanks for the feedback. The 2015 is a totally different vehicle from the 2013 we had. Redesigned suspension, transmission and other things. Steering and ride is much nicer. Acceleration is much smoother through 6 gears. Still, no sway control like your Jeep.

I have a 2 axle trailer. I'm going to put a hitch on the Highlander anyway. I'll try towing the Mac back from the storage lot and see how it handles. I hear ya on the high speed stuff. However, my Dodge truck doesn't feel all that great at high speeds either....well until I added the second axle.

Doing some online travel surfing (winter time), I'm now thinking of taking the boat further away. Flathead lake, Coeur d'Alene are on the list. Means driving the crew further and it would be nice to do it in a comfortable tow beast.

Jeff L
Engineer

Post by Jeff L » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:00 pm

With a can of baked beans, the wind will blow free :wink: :D

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:49 pm

RussMT wrote:The 2015 is a totally different vehicle from the 2013 we had. Redesigned suspension, transmission and other things. Steering and ride is much nicer. Acceleration is much smoother through 6 gears.

That's interesting, as the 2012 was a very smooth and nice to drive vehicle as it was. That they could make it even better is, well, better. :wink:
RussMT wrote:Doing some online travel surfing (winter time), I'm now thinking of taking the boat further away. Flathead lake, Coeur d'Alene are on the list. Means driving the crew further and it would be nice to do it in a comfortable tow beast.
I don't know about hills in your area, but that's not too terribly far. Google maps says less than 300 mile. I'd make the trip in my Highlander. Or yours. :wink: :D

Edit: But if it's hilly as I suspect MT is, think tranny cooler. Mine actually has a temperature readout for coolant, engine oil, and trans. oil. Wasn't expecting that, but not complaining, either. 8)

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:Edit: But if it's hilly as I suspect MT is, think tranny cooler. Mine actually has a temperature readout for coolant, engine oil, and trans. oil. Wasn't expecting that, but not complaining, either. 8)
Good info. Before I venture for a long trek I may look into that. We tow 2 jetskis with the Highlander and it would be a good idea. Temps here are typically 80s in the summer, but trannys don't like the strain.

I tow my Mac with the truck to the lake. About 100 miles of highway. I hate driving that old truck. It would be nice to venture further in a comfy SUV. Looking at Flathead lake rentals got me thinking about taking the Mac up there for a week or two. I don't want to use the truck for driving around as the Highlander would be much more comfortable.

I was surprised at the design changes from the 2nd gen to 3rd gen Highlander. Same 19" wheels on the Limited trim, but it drives much smoother and steering is nicer. Yea, I'll bring Luna home from storage with it and see how it tows. Might be a decent short term tow beast.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:24 pm

I am (its winter, gotta do something) looking at tow beasts.

Looking for family/boat hauling.

I keep coming back to the 2500 Chevy Suburbans.

I am open to alternatives and hoping some kind souls will have input. :P
RussMT wrote:Time to shop for a new tow beast.

I'm thinking of a family car/tow vehicle.
Any suggestions.

On the list

Chevy Suburban/Tahoe
Ford Expedition
Toyota Sequoia

Must be 4WD.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:09 pm

We have the F-150 Crew Cab, 3.5 liter short bed. Used when all five of us go somewhere, has room for the dogs, gear in the back, and is small enough to fit into parking garages.
Last edited by RobertB on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:15 pm

I am open to alternatives and hoping some kind souls will have input
This might keep you busy for a while:

http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidel ... ities.html

I suggest you paste it into a spreadsheet and sort it by towing capacity.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Looks like the Trucks with Cabs tend to have the higher towing abilities.

Kinda happy with my Jeep (7,000 lbs). 8)

Suburban 2003 and later seem to have the most seats (nine) :P
Sea Wind wrote:

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:17 pm

I am still happy with my extended cab F150 1999. Has a 6 cylinder 202 hp standard trans with 98,000 miles.
Pulling a dual axel heavy weighted MacX. Had front stainless steel disk brakes but got rid of them 3 yrs ago so no brakes on trailer.
I just move along with it for past 5 years.
Max tow for the Truck with standard trans is 2000 lbs . All my tow boats exceeded that since new.
Dave

dlandersson wrote:Looks like the Trucks with Cabs tend to have the higher towing abilities.

Kinda happy with my Jeep (7,000 lbs). 8)

Suburban 2003 and later seem to have the most seats (nine) :P
Sea Wind wrote:

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:43 am

Nice points. I'm looking for something with more than front seat/back seat (thinking ahead to kids with friends, scouts, sports, etc.). :P
DaveB wrote:I am still happy with my extended cab F150 1999. Has a 6 cylinder 202 hp standard trans with 98,000 miles.
Pulling a dual axel heavy weighted MacX. Had front stainless steel disk brakes but got rid of them 3 yrs ago so no brakes on trailer.
Max tow for the Truck with standard trans is 2000 lbs . All my tow boats exceeded that since new.
Dave

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:10 am

The new Volvo XC90 has an impressive towing capacity of almost 3 tons.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:29 am

dlandersson wrote:Nice points. I'm looking for something with more than front seat/back seat (thinking ahead to kids with friends, scouts, sports, etc.). :P
DaveB wrote:I am still happy with my extended cab F150 1999. Has a 6 cylinder 202 hp standard trans with 98,000 miles.
Dave
If you don't need an open bed to haul junk, then an SUV like the Suburban is probably the way to go.