Trailer newbie questions...

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Trailer newbie questions...

Post by NiceAft »

orwell10 wrote:This would be my first time to use a trailer and it's nice to find this thread that has the same question I had in mind. - Orwell.
How far do you estimate you will be towing?

Ray
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

paul I wrote: If I was determined to tow frequently or for long distances I would look into a V8 truck or a large SUV (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, etc.)
Dont forget the Jeep, one of the best towing capacity for the size of car, my Cherokee is rated at 6600lbs or 3000kg, that better than some of the full sized 4 wheel drives, hard car to beat for towing bang for your buck.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

The 5.9 liter engine Jeeps have a tow rating of 7,000 lbs. Just sayn'. There's a whole thread on "Tow Beasts" :P
sailboatmike wrote:
paul I wrote: If I was determined to tow frequently or for long distances I would look into a V8 truck or a large SUV (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition, etc.)
Dont forget the Jeep, one of the best towing capacity for the size of car, my Cherokee is rated at 6600lbs or 3000kg, that better than some of the full sized 4 wheel drives, hard car to beat for towing bang for your buck.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Mine if just the old 4 liter straight 6, it has torque that is awesome for a 6 cylinder, Im too poor and cars are stupid expensive in Australia

Around $80,000 for the 6.4 liter Grand Cherokee
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

sailboatmike wrote:Around $80,000 for the 6.4 liter Grand Cherokee
:o :o :o :o :o :o

My '14 diesel was a little over $40k (USD) and it was around the same price as the hemi, which is a couple grand more than the V-6.

My youngest did a semester abroad in Queensland (UQ) and he commented that everything was roughly twice as expensive there as here. I guess he was right. Some of that is conversion (~1.25 AUD to 1.00 USD right now), but most is not.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

wages are high in Australia, minimum wage for a 21 year old is $21.70 p/h or $17.50 USD.

While $21.70 is ok as a minimum rate, it doesnt go up much from there, the average REAL WORKER is on around $25 p/h which doesnt really go far when the average house price in the two big cities is around $900,000 and thats not right in the middle of town, thats in the suburbs .

You dont want to buy a Mac here a good condition M will set you back the best part of $50,000 and X around $38,000, my 1995 X is insured for $36,000 becuase thats what it would cost to replace
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

sailboatmike wrote:wages are high in Australia, minimum wage for a 21 year old is $21.70 p/h or $17.50 USD.

While $21.70 is ok as a minimum rate, it doesnt go up much from there, the average REAL WORKER is on around $25 p/h which doesnt really go far when the average house price in the two big cities is around $900,000 and thats not right in the middle of town, thats in the suburbs .

You dont want to buy a Mac here a good condition M will set you back the best part of $50,000 and X around $38,000, my 1995 X is insured for $36,000 becuase thats what it would cost to replace
wow, maybe we should do something like the big mac index for Macgregors around the world. We already have the name right :P :
http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Sea Wind wrote:wow, maybe we should do something like the big mac index for Macgregors around the world. We already have the name right :P :
http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index
A poorly thought out price gauge there by the economist

What constitutes a Big Mac? I dare say that in different countries they would be different sizes, have different ingredients and may be subject to different tax regimes. I mean a Whopper Burger is twice the size and weight of a Big Mac here, 2 bites and a Big Mac is gone

We could do a cigarette index, a packet of 25 cigarettes is between $23 ($18.40USD) for the cheap ones and $32 ($25.60UDS) for a more premium brand here in Australia and thats at the cheapest shops. This is due to the government taking 71 cents (57 US cents) tax per cigarette.

I bet you smokers are glad you dont live down here.

But the point is, thats how tax can effect the cost of goods in a country, going by the Economist idea that would make the USD seriously over valued :P