New bow support chock

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

New bow support chock

Post by Ixneigh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 am

I've taken my boat out for the off season. Before I did. I replaced the metal, rusty bow support. The one shaped like a v.
I replaced it with a wood block made from PT 4×4 lumber and shaped the vee notch into it. Then I covered it with trailer carpet. I made the vee notch a few inches higher. I also located the whole bow support block aft 4 inches. This seemed to help with not allowing the hull to hit the trailer frame (where the factory put those plastic strips) and it seemed to make it easier to get the bow closer to the bow stop on the trailer. If I had put liquid roller on the trailer bunks I bet she would have slid right in. This mod did require the truck be backed down the ramp a bit more.
I think the bow block should only be moved 2 inches back. But I doubt I'll bother to move it.
Ix

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New bow support chock

Post by RussMT » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 am

Sound interesting. Do you have a photo? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

hmb-barry
Just Enlisted

Re: New bow support chock

Post by hmb-barry » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Do you have an aluminum or an older type, all steel trailer?
If aluminum, any concerns or problems so far with PT wood reacting with the trailer?
I have to replace my steel "V" on the aluminum trailer and everything I read about PT says not use it with aluminum.
Thanks,
BL