New Tow Vehicle; Size Constraint

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

New Tow Vehicle; Size Constraint

Post by Tedd »

I've been towing my 26S with a Mitsubishi Delica. It's been adequate, but only just. The Delica is nearing the end of its life (frame rust, not due to towing) and, at the same time, my wife and I want to go down to one vehicle. I would be fine with a pickup truck with a crew cab or club cab, but my wife isn't comfortable driving a vehicle that big, day to day. The best option I've come up with so far is a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon, which are slightly smaller than other pickups. Both are available with an at least 5,000 lb tow rating, so that's no problem, and I think they might be just small enough for my wife. But I'm wondering if there are other options I'm missing. Size for size, SUVs seem to be more expensive than pickups and I'm reluctant to spend that much. But if there were something around the size of a Colorado, or just slightly smaller, at around the same price then I'd be interested.
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New Tow Vehicle; Size Constraint

Post by whgoffrn »

Years ago i used to tow some heavy stuff with a jeep cherokee
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Didn't there used to be a "tow beast" thread?
Tedd wrote:I've been towing my 26S with a Mitsubishi Delica. It's been adequate, but only just. The Delica is nearing the end of its life (frame rust, not due to towing) and, at the same time, my wife and I want to go down to one vehicle. I would be fine with a pickup truck with a crew cab or club cab, but my wife isn't comfortable driving a vehicle that big, day to day. The best option I've come up with so far is a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon, which are slightly smaller than other pickups. Both are available with an at least 5,000 lb tow rating, so that's no problem, and I think they might be just small enough for my wife. But I'm wondering if there are other options I'm missing. Size for size, SUVs seem to be more expensive than pickups and I'm reluctant to spend that much. But if there were something around the size of a Colorado, or just slightly smaller, at around the same price then I'd be interested.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Well I did a fair amount of research on 7 passenger tow-beasts under this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27056.

I think we established that a typical loaded X with a dual-axle trailer weighs slightly over 5,000 lbs, and a loaded M with a dual axle trailer weighs slightly under 5,000 lbs. I wonder if anyone has ever weighed a 19 or a 26S or D, or a venture on its trailer? My first inclination reflex
r
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Well I did a fair amount of research on 7 passenger tow-beasts under this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27056.

I think we established that a typical loaded X with a dual-axle trailer weighs slightly over 5,000 lbs, and a loaded M with a dual axle trailer weighs slightly under 5,000 lbs. I wonder if anyone has ever weighed a 19 or a 26S or D, or a venture on its trailer? My first inclination is to say the 26S/D is lighter because of the smaller motor, but it's possible that they are heavier if the fiberglass is thicker. Our small sample suggestst that the M is lighter than the X, so it might be logical to think that the X without motor is lighter than the S. Just don't know without data.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Sorry don't know how that first post got up there without being complete. Had to edit.

I just picked up the new Pathfinder yesterday, which is rated to tow 6,000lbs, and brought it home. I inspected the tow connections and found that the dealer installed a 5,000 lb hitch and ball. Jerks. At least they answered my email already.

Came home in heavy rush-hour traffic at 10.5L/100km, so about 30% better than the old Durango.
March
Captain

Post by March »

On my pathfinder, I found the difference in mileage negligible for all practical purposes, between driving it empty and towing the boat.
Can you confirm?
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Will confirm next May :D My Durango averaged about 13.5L/100 km normally and 20L/100km when towing. I expect the Nissan to be up around 18L/100 when all hitched up.

On the plus side the dealer is going to change the hitch and ball next week to a real class iii equipment rated at the full 6,000 lbs.

Liking the Pathfinder so far. A nice ride but a few design flaws that really should have been figured out by Nissan waaay before releasing it for sale. The passenger wiper blade is about 12" long and leaves the passenger looking through unwiped windshield. Infotainment lags a bit. But still very nice overall. Lots of thoughtful details that make me wonder how the stupid things made it through. Didn't they put a test passenger in for a ride????
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

March: Is your pathfinder a diesel?

Certainly not the case for my gas Silverado. I lose at least 8 mpg on flat ground at steady cruising speed. 5.3l v8 in tow mode setting in the trans.

My buddy had an old ford diesel that he towed with. He swore you could hardly tell the difference in mileage.

Just wondering if you have a gas vehicle that behaves that way...
March
Captain

Post by March »

No, it's not a diesel, Jimmyt.
Mind you, I haven;t exactly measured the difference. I tow from Iowa to the Apostles and back every summer and I kind of stop to fill her up around the same area. I never crunched the numbers--just flew by the seat of my pants. One thing is sure: the newer aluminum two axle trailer saved me about three quarters to one tankful each way, against the old steel one-axle original trailer (but I have always had doubts about its drum brakes...)
When I don't have the trailer and I sort of go long distance... without really doing any precise calculations, that what it seems to me.
I will be driving to Chicago solo in a week or so, and will be able to measure exactly the distance and the mileage, for a change
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Roger.

The wife got the new Silverado for my retirement vehicle (she said I was getting a truck, but it's fancy with cloth seats and carpets, so not really a truck). Anyway, it has more displays than Carter has pills, several show mileage. I keep the instantaneous and 50 mile average displayed so just happened to notice while towing to and from a Black Friday sail with the family.

Happy towing!
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Tow Beast Thread
dlandersson wrote:Didn't there used to be a "tow beast" thread?
Tedd wrote:I've been towing my 26S with a Mitsubishi Delica. It's been adequate, but only just. The Delica is nearing the end of its life (frame rust, not due to towing) and, at the same time, my wife and I want to go down to one vehicle. I would be fine with a pickup truck with a crew cab or club cab, but my wife isn't comfortable driving a vehicle that big, day to day. The best option I've come up with so far is a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon, which are slightly smaller than other pickups. Both are available with an at least 5,000 lb tow rating, so that's no problem, and I think they might be just small enough for my wife. But I'm wondering if there are other options I'm missing. Size for size, SUVs seem to be more expensive than pickups and I'm reluctant to spend that much. But if there were something around the size of a Colorado, or just slightly smaller, at around the same price then I'd be interested.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Thank you. For me at least, this is a really valuable resource 8)
Hamin' X wrote:Tow Beast Thread
dlandersson wrote:Didn't there used to be a "tow beast" thread?
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

March wrote:No, it's not a diesel, Jimmyt.
Mind you, I haven;t exactly measured the difference. I tow from Iowa to the Apostles and back every summer and I kind of stop to fill her up around the same area. I never crunched the numbers--just flew by the seat of my pants. One thing is sure: the newer aluminum two axle trailer saved me about three quarters to one tankful each way, against the old steel one-axle original trailer (but I have always had doubts about its drum brakes...)
When I don't have the trailer and I sort of go long distance... without really doing any precise calculations, that what it seems to me.
I will be driving to Chicago solo in a week or so, and will be able to measure exactly the distance and the mileage, for a change

s'funny, but when I switched from the original single-axle trailer to a dual-axle trailer my gas mileage got worse. It's worth the peace of mind and tows like a dream, but it does eat a bit more fuel per mile. I track the gas mileage pretty religiously, especially when towing. It may be the first indication that something is wrong, like a tire going down.

I try to offset some of the carbon burn of boating/towing by daily-driving a Ford Fusion PHEV that has averaged 470mpg over the first 6 months and 7,000miles. I've been to the gas station with that car once since we bought it last May, and still have half a tank left. I really can't praise that vehicle enough: it's really a shame that it's on the Ford chopping block (along with the Chevy Volt over at GM). We also burnt about 75 gallons through the outboard last season, and about 80 gallons towing it around.

Back on the OP thread: my personal feeling is that for a 26S or D you would still want a vehicle rated for at least 5,000lbs...still hoping for someone to chime in with measured weights of other Macmodels..
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Tedd »

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone. Yes, I did read the Tow Beast thread, but it's several years old now and a lot has changed in the car/truck market since then so I thought I'd solicit new comments.

Interesting comments on the mass of Macs and trailers. I had always taken the published Macgregor numbers at face value and assumed that my Mac 26S, as loaded, came in somewhere under 3,000 pounds. I'm going to see if I can find a way to weigh it so I have a more realistic idea of what's required.