is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Starscream » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 am

Me too.

Those are exactly the wheels that were on that trailer. After two years in a forest, they were in perfect condition. I brought a breaker bar with me break loose the wheel bolts before I hit the road with them, in case I ended up on the side of the road--not the time to discover that you can't get a wheel off. They were 7/8" bolts and they weren't even slightly rusted; they immediately rotated almost like new. Same for the trailer ball-hitch, it looked like cast-iron and you had to screw down a clamping mechanism to clamp the ball, then back off a quarter turn and lock it in place.

Sometimes old tech is good tech.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: is this forum for "trailers & towing" only or can we talk about tow vehicles?

Post by Catigale » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 am

Russ wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:13 am
Tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 am
Changed hundreds of those way back in the day, many on the side of an interstate. :(
I'm always astonished at the wealth of knowledge and information (and experience) you have Tom.
Confucius say smart man with no Pizza (me) wise to live next to pizzeria ( this forum)
Stephen & Barbara
Catigale
2002 26X
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:56 am

Just the product of a misspent youth, followed by getting my crap together the hard way, I'm afraid. :wink:

And as wise old Catigale alluded, this place is a gold mine of information, and not just about boats. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Todd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Update on the 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

Did a 1192 mile test towing a 1800 pound uHaul trailer. 15.5 MPG on a running AVG of 55MPH (according to the computer). I set the CC to 78 MPH on Interstates. The Diesel definitely reduced the driver fatigue by knocking the tops of some of the medium/small hills with the trailer in tow. On the only pass to Pierre South Dakota from Albuquerque, Raton Pass, you could feel the drag but it wasn't horrible at all. The truck itself is incredibly quite at speed both in wind noise and in engine noise. Had 3 people, 2 dogs and an annoying '92 MR2 that kept buzzing us....turned out to be my son on his way to his first Engineering job.

Dead-heading on the way back-- no uHaul, still 3 people and 2 dogs 8) . 23 MPG on 1210 miles (had some detours) . The first 100 miles I was in irons which really affected the MPG I think.

Overall-- still happy with the purchase-- tow behavior very good. Uhaul was a dual axle trailer and we loaded it properly so it had tongue weight but not overloaded up front.

and yes-- I know the speed limit on the trailer is strictly 55 as it says so on each fender.....but since they wrote it backwards I suppose it didn't apply to me. I don't tow my boat that fast.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm: