Lifting a Mac 26M

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Lifting a Mac 26M

Post by adudinsk »

Was looking for ideas on how to lift the 26M off the trailer to do work on the bottom paint.
Came across the GoHoist, thought it was interesting.
On one subpage
http://www.gohoist.com/how-gohoist-works.html
is that a 26M showing how to lift off an outboard?!?

Just saying..

Anyone heard of this/tried this product?

AD
Russ
Admiral

Re: Lifting a Mac 26M

Post by Russ »

That looks pretty cool.

Works for the Mac.

It just looks flimsy. I would be afraid to crawl under the boat. It's rated for 5,000lbs and I guess they would have people suing them like crazy if it wasn't solid.

Spector
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Spector »

MYCBC has one for members. My understanding is the system works well
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

I would guess without the chains on the legs you would be in big trouble..

Or if the ground was soft...

AD
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

All u have to do is remove the front wheel from the front jack lower the trl down as far as possible then stack 10x10" or 12x12" 15" long wooden blocks on center on the rear transom , before that block both Trl wheels with 4x4" blocks front & back & u can also apply the brakes for added security , now just install as many big wooden blocks as u can then add smaller blocks to fill the gap , now start cranking the trl tongue jack up u will have to release some pressure off the bow eye to winch strap but never remove it so as the trl cannot shoot out forward from the boat as the rear of the boat comes off the trl just add wooden block 2x4" to the rear bunk or mid bunk supports to keep the boat from tilting side to side as u move along with ur below waterline hull maintenance when u get to the bow then drop the transom back onto th trl then raise the bow off the trl V bunks with a hydraulic jack & wooden blocks now finish off the rear aft section that the transom was sitting on & the section under the V front trl bunks , easy peasy I , Geoff & Rocky were doing this for years at my place since I had all the necc, blocks , jack , of coarse enough room on my driveway for 6 Mac,s :D
so if u got ur own driveway go for it , but remember as is in any kind of project that requires lifting a boat off a trl extreme caution & awareness is required & for what ever dumb reason if the boat comes down it,s landing on the trl
Have fun :)

J 8)
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Thanks much for the info.

I hope to trailer it to my "new" marina/yacht club and try this there.
Currently its at my parents farm, and parked on a grassed section of land.. not sure if it will just sink in if I try this.
I guess though.. I do not need much room.. to do a 30 grit sand and some VC17

(but a lifting rig would make me the coolest guy at the marina... LOL)
:P

Question: Is it necessary to VC17 every year? How many coats would you suggest is needed for a "redo"

Thanks

AD
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Also rear/mid bunk supports?
Where is that.. is that internal supports/where the hull to deck is thickest?
(ie: tap around to find the solid spot...)

AD
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I tried the technique described by Highlander one time, with less than successful results. It seems that my trailer jack was just a little tired. Asking it to lift the entire weight of the boat was simply too much for the old jack, and the gears stripped out. If the jack is in good shape, and well greased, it will do the job, but a sturdy floor jack with appropriate blocking has much more lifting power.

If you have a sturdy overhead beam, you can do like Todd at BWY does. He simply hooks a pair of chain hoists to the chain plates and picks the boat up from there. I was amazed, first time I saw him do it. He says that's how the factory did it. Much strength where those chain plates bolt to the hull. Boat will be a little heavy in the stern, so it needs blocking up back there.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Thanks!

I will prob work on a custom transom block/creating out of wood...
And use a 5 ton jack to lift it up.
I do believe my trailer is in pretty good shape.. but better be safe.

and a hoist on the chain plates.. yeah.. I would be nervous to get under the boat...

Thanks!

AD
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

adudinsk wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:51 amQuestion: Is it necessary to VC17 every year? How many coats would you suggest is needed for a "redo"
I used VC17 on my keel boat, when I had it, and re-did it every spring. Not hard to do, though. The stuff is like water, and evaporates extremely fast so you have to keep adding thinner to the pan while rolling. It'll also make you high, so use a half-face mask with organic compound filters.
adudinsk wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:23 amand a hoist on the chain plates.. yeah.. I would be nervous to get under the boat...
Don't get under it while on a hoist alone. Put some blocking under it, in spots where you're not working at the moment, while keeping the hoist system under some tension for stability. After doing all the bottom paint, move the blocks so you can get to those spots. Same procedure as when a boat is in a cradle, and the Travelhoist is holding it while you paint the spots where the pads were. With VC17, you don't have to wait very long before you can splash it.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

How many coats of VC17 did you apply?
I was told
1) do a 360 Grit sanding for retouching
2) 2-3 coats for a "touchup job"
or can you just put on a "good layer" all at once.

AD
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I only used one coat. Ever. So did all the other boats I've seen on the hard, most of which were sailboats.

It's hard to say what a single 'good coat' is, though, as the stuff is so thin. But you do have to redo it every year.

I never sanded. Not worth the trouble, and as my boat was a big station wagon (Hunter 340), I didn't care enough to try to squeeze 0.01 knot of additional speed out of it.

adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Will do.. I would think 2 cans would cover a Mac 26m?

I will forget the sanding as well.. just a good power wash and wipe.

Thanks !
Andrew
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

If there is no bottom paint on the boat now, it is a bit more involved. Sanding, dewaxing, priming, epoxy etc.

When I had a keelboat, I would lightly sand before painting. Old paint habit.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I'd bet one would do it, but I can't guarantee that. I think it took three to do the Hunter, but that had the big wing keel and barn door rudder.

I think I used Xylene to cut it, but from a quick web perusal it looks like alcohol is the primary ingredient. Sure doesn't, or didn't, smell anything like alcohol though. I think I still have an unopened can around here somewhere in fact.