MacGregor Owners Association

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
brianhar
Engineer
Location: "Waterbago", Laverton, Melbourne, VIC, Australia. 2004 26M Johnson 50HP

MacGregor Owners Association

Post by brianhar »

Well,
I've been hedging around this for a while and I think the time is right to start formalising the discussion.

I would like to start up a MacGregor Owners Association. I have two reasons for this and intend to split one off as a seperate discussion.

1. As a Group of owners (and particularly after our Easter get together) that there is some real benifits in forming an association as a means of sharing information and getting some trips / social / sailing going with like minded sailors. We know our boats are different, and more than likely we are too!

2. I'm also a keen racer of sail boats and the current handicap allocated to the :macm: & :macx: is widely inaccurate and want to get it revised. Problem is that in order to get a revised handicap (Class Basic Handicap or CBH) Yachting Victoria says we need to have a set of racing rules agreed upon by an association.

I have made contact with Yachting Victoria in regards to becoming an associate member with the intent of becoming a class association and have received a number of forms etc to fill out. I have launched back a couple of questions to YV, but am yet to receive an answer. I will post that informatoion once I have it.

Main points that would need to be considered / created / done etc.

:arrow: To become a state based association is easier than National. National is supposed to have 2 -3 state associations, whereas a state association can have interstate members. An example of this would be; I am a member of the NSW manly Graduate Skiff ssociation, yet I'm a Victorian.

:arrow: Need a Club Constitution or Rules of Incorporation. Rules of incorporation sounds a bit flash to me, however I'm sure that there is people with experience in this area that can assist with this. A Club Constitution sounds easier to me, as we could just plagurise from other associations to suit us. :)

:arrow: There is something about paying an Annual subscription. This is one of the questions that I have shot back to YV. I'd like to think it's not much or better yet free (doubtful). :?

:arrow: Need Ten members.

There are other bits, however they are trivial compared to the concepts presented here that need discussion.

Well, let the discussion begin! :D

Brian
Mistral
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Re: MacGregor Owners Association

Post by Mistral »

Hi Brian,

Sounds like a good idea.

Even though I think I'll never be racing our Mac, it would be great to have some sort of association for organising get together's and learning from each other. At least we can have a go at each other, rather than getting flack from other groups. (Castle's) :) :) :) :)

What about insurances, etc.

Dirk
Lease
First Officer

Post by Lease »

I'm up for it.

Want to go to the first nationals.
Clemo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Clemo »

I emailed Brian earlier today, but you guys cant see an email can you?

We are up for it as well, Yeah, I want to sail in the first "Mac Nationals".

I really have no idea about racing and such, strictly cruisers...

but I dream of sailing in the "Heaven Can Wait", more as a fund raiser than an all out thrash. But to test your self over 24hrs, thats got to be kool. And I'll bet a slab we can keep up with any other Mac (X or M), especially if she is carrying a fridge/freezer, gas stove, and a TV like ours. (Thats my kind of boat!)

And we live in Goulburn, on the Hume, 2hrs south of Sydney. So if we can offer a dry bed, hot shower and honest lies 'round a warm fire to a like minded traveller then a Mac Associacion strikes me as a good idea.

!!! I just read all that, 'n I detect the distinct influenced of VB & Yellow Tail Reserve Merlot. !!!

Yeah, we are up for it!

Brian, will you keep us in the loop.

Tks, C ya,
Clemo.
ubi_est_via
Chief Steward
Location: Melbourne, Australia. "Deja Blue" 2008 M 50hp E-Tec

Post by ubi_est_via »

Brian,
I'm in....Cheers, John
rockman
Engineer

Post by rockman »

I am in.
Suggest Lake Mac for the Mac Nationals :D

And we too welcome any travelling members - to Singleton in Hunter Valley.

Cheers
Simon
The Mutt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt »

If there is a any get together for a cruise you might be able to twist my arm, alas I don't race anymore, do you mind observers?

Glenn
brianhar
Engineer
Location: "Waterbago", Laverton, Melbourne, VIC, Australia. 2004 26M Johnson 50HP

Post by brianhar »

Guys,
whilst I like the support for running a nationals (and trust me when I heavily support that idea), I really want this thread to discuss the idea and method for us to move forward as a "Association". Lets talk more about Nats on the race thread (although I think it prudent to establish some class rules first).

I've been doing a bit of work on looking at constitutions etc. This steered me towards the Model Set of Rules put out by (in Vic) by consumer affairs. Each state has it's own version and from the couple of different states that I looked at, pretty much the same. Having your own individual set of rules is great for individualisation, however can be a bit limiting from the point of view of protecting the 'Association', members and the Office Bearers. However this is one of many issues that need to be discussed in full at some point. The model rules are a standard set of instructions detailing how the association would be ran. As much as it's a bit long winded, it sure does cover everything.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256902 ... /13/hilite

Other issues with Incorporation:
:!: Fees for incorporation are $56.80 if we use their rules unedited, $113.50 edited
:!: A requirement for an Annual statement to be sent to Consumer Affairs 2 weeks after an AGM @ $39.70
:!: A requirement for an Annual General Meeting
:!: A requirement for another three General Meetings per year
:!: As we would not have an income of more than $200,000 we would not have a need for a audit by a auditor or CPA. But must keep adequate and accurate accounting records of financial transactions and keep them for 7 years.
:!: Recommended to have Public Liability policy (accident) to protect the Asscoiation.
:!: Also recommended to have Office Holder Indemnity Insurance to protect the Office Bearers.
:!: Being incorporated gives an amount of legal seperation between the members and the Association.

I have approached a couple of insurance mobs to get an indicative cost of insurance to cover the above issues.

I contacted Yachting Victoria again today to try and get an answer to things like cost and the processes required for associate membership, however the person I needed to speak to had the day off and may be back tomorrow. I will continue to contact them and post the information as it comes to hand.

I'm taking it that there is sufficient support to have what I'll call a pre-AGM. Where a number of issues would need to be discussed and pretty close to finalised. What I really need I suppose are two things.

Firstly, for those people who are serious about forming an association to send me a PM with some basic details like Name, Boat Name, E-mail address, Phone Number? Would really like some hands to be put up for Office Holders too, as we must have them voted in at an AGM to start the show. I initially wanted to avoid all this 'grandeur' however I've come to realise that there is no real choice in the matter.

Secondly, really need to know if we are going to go for a Victorian Association (which does not care what state you are from, thus easier to establish and run) or a National Association with 'sub' associations and more challenging to operate. I presume that each element would require a minimum of 10 members (boats) to be viable.

I'll be honest when I say that I would prefer a Victorian one to get it going, and move on from there as and when required. With the exception of the initial AGM, all meetings could be ran in say Melbourne (with other interested members coming in via a conference call).

Lets get some discussion going please as this will be OUR association, not the one that I set up. But by the same token, if everyone just wants an association and are just willing to join in once I done all the ground work, let me know!

Thanks

Brian
Mistral
First Officer
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Post by Mistral »

Brian,

I am going through the same where we want to change the old outdated constitution for our organisation (58 pages). There is a new law passed in Victoria on the 14th of April that changes the requirements for constitutions for organisations, so it is "easier". It is expected that the implementation would take about 3 years, but we are getting a head up. The constitution you looked at is a generic one and covers every type of organisation. We would need to pick the eyes out of it to suit the MAC group. What the exact changes are I am not sure off and am waiting for our EO to get more detail, which is promised in a couple of weeks.
Also if you are incorporated in Victoria certain positions must be held by a Victorian resident, i.e. treasurer.

It would be great if we could get a copy of another trailer sailer group's constitution. I'll put something on the TSP site.

Just a few points.
Dirk

Edited on 28 April
brianhar
Engineer

Post by brianhar »

Dirk,
thanks for sending me a few more constitutions to look at. It gives more food for thought. I've had contact with a couple of owners who are supportive of the idea of forming an association from Victoria, NSW and ACT. Would love to hear from the other states (Oskar from WA comes to mind).

:idea: I'm now suggesting that we try and get together as many owners as we can and do some face to face work on getting this to move forward. I'm suggesting somewhere in Melbourne on either a week night or make a bit of a social occaision and do it on a Saturday night with a BBQ. If there is anyone who knows how to get a conference call going, we could get some interstate owners in as well?

Any suggestions?

Brian
Mistral
First Officer

Post by Mistral »

Hi Brian,

Give me a couple of weeks re teleconference call. I will find out details, etc.. Am traveling a fair bit at the moment, have conferences and exhibitions, so my time in May is limited.

Dirk
ubi_est_via
Chief Steward
Location: Melbourne, Australia. "Deja Blue" 2008 M 50hp E-Tec

Post by ubi_est_via »

Hi,
I live in Camberwell which is pretty central so I'm happy to warm up the BBQ & at my place if it suits ....Cheers, John
Nick
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: Melbourne, Australia..2011 Beneteau Oceanis 34... La Bonne Vie

Post by Nick »

Would be great to catch up with a few other Mac owners. If it doesn't clash with one of the 5 kids social engagements, I'm in. Cheers Nick
Berber Boy
First Officer
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Post by Berber Boy »

Hi Brian,

I think that you should go with the easiest and keep it as simple as possible. I review charitable organisation accreditations with government from time to time and Constitutional stuff can be very complex and messy. Better to start simple and amend later if required.

You can count me in. One of my ancestors was a founder of the Melbourne Age so Im not too proud to belong to a Victorian based association! :D
brianhar
Engineer

Post by brianhar »

Greetings fellow Mac Sailors,
well it's time to have that first meeting to set up the Association. We'll need another one to consist the AGM, however we'll use this first one to work out any potential issues and define a way ahead.

Date will be Saturday the 01 Aug 09
Place will be at Deja Blue's house in Melbourne (send John a PM asking for his address).
BBQ will start at 1pm with John supplying the snags and those attending physically to bring a plate of something to help the way.
At 3pm we will start the meeting, which will be cut off at one hour regardless. If we can't acheive what we need in an hour, we may have missed the mark.
Those not physically present will need to PM Deja Blue asking for the phone number to ring into. John will confirm this when he puts his response to this notice. For those of us present, I'll borrow a teleconference phone from work. That way we can all have some input. My only fear is it turning ito a case of everyone talking at once and not much being acheived. :D

I will put out an Agenda a bit closer to the date, in a wild attempt to keep us on track.

See/hear from you then

Brian

P.S. I promise that I'll talk slowly to help the white hull owners catch up with the conversation!