Trailer re-assembly from container

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
igooba
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Trailer re-assembly from container

Post by igooba »

Hi Phill,

It will fit into a 40ft container however it only has about an inch either side.
They didn't need to cut anything off the boat however they do need to remove the trailer lights, Guide Poles and mud guards as they are all too wide.

It is tricky to remove from the container as with the mast in place the height is probably less than 8 inches from the roof with the wheels and axels removed. This height restriction is difficult as even a trolley jack can't fit under the trailer chassis without the boat hitting the roof.
If I was doing it again I would have had some slimline dolly's ready that I could put under the frame, I came across a problem lowering the mast crutch but can't remember what it was. Ensure some thick carpet is draped down each side of the boat as mine had rubbing marks from the metal of the container on the blue hull.

Can I say too many times not to use Import a Boat?

Pete
bundie
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by bundie »

Hi All
I have read with interest this topic as I am off to California soon and hope to find a M26 for importing. I now know who I will NOT be getting a freight quote from :D
Has anyone freighted a vessel on the trailer, not in a container? I have a quote from "Taurus Logistics" to ship the vessel as inside cargo on the trailer. Also a quote from AWS. Both seem genuine and competitive in price.
Also, has anyone used a broker in the USA, preferably California, that they can recommend?
Thanks

Michael
The Mutt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt »

Michael, one of our customers has recently started RORO for one off private customers they are in Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, Port Kembla, NSW, 02 4275 1500, you might be able to get a container price as well, I wish they were handling private customers when we were bringing in our boat.

A normal shipment for them containes Freightliner trucks, Iveco trucks and vans, Nissan trucks, UD trucks, New Holland and Case Ag equipment, Mercedes supercars and HUGE cranes, we have even seen a Bavaria Vision 40 yacht.

Happy hunting, fair winds

Glenn
Stui

Post by Stui »

When you are getting the boat out of the container My customs agent said Quarantine need to inspect all second hand boats for organisims
Do you need to remove the boat for them to inspect?
if so could you use a number of pipes to log-roll the trailer chassis out Ancient Egyptian style? sounds like fun(not)
Stui
The Mutt
Captain
Location: Springwood, NSW, devinetemptations.com/macgregor26x.htm

Post by The Mutt »

QIS will want the boat fully out of the container, not enough room to get in and out of the boat easily whill it's still inside.

As you can see, the room down both sides is tight.

Glenn