Stolen Engine

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Berber Boy
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Paynesville, VIC 3880 AUSTRALIA WindSong 2016 26M 75hp Etec

Stolen Engine

Post by Berber Boy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:18 am

Hi, I'm a bit :x . Having just spent a pleasant sailing break at Paynesville I have have just been told by the police that lastnight the marina where I store Windsong Mastup was broken into and my ETEC 60 stolen off Windsong. An attempt on another boat was also made.

Anyone claimed an engine on Insurance? Do they replace with new or depreciate the value? I had 350hours on it. Am also worried about it happening again. Are their protection locks to ensure an engine cannot be taken off other than cutting it out?

Do new engines come complete with throttle cables etc because they just cut them through to release the engine and cart it off.

Anyway be wary of any ETECs 60's for sale.

Apopreciate any advice you can give.

David

Berber Boy
First Officer

FURTHER Re: Stolen Engine

Post by Berber Boy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:49 am

It seems an attempt was made to take another ETEC from another MACM in the Marina and a boat from another marina with an ETEC 60 was also stolen. Really weird!
BB

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Stolen Engine

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:42 am

Do you have insurance for this?

Ray

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 pm

Berb,

If the E-Tech that was stolen from the other marina was also as new as yours, and came from the same sales source, then I'd guess you'd be the victim of an inside job. I would think the police should be able to figure it out from there.
I think any future engine you attach should have the bolts reversed, with the nuts on the inside and with a better lock on the cabin hatch. Pretty ballsy to be hefting a big heavy outboard off a boat in the dead of night!
If I was you at this point, I'd up to a 90...... just sayin. :wink:

R.

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 pm

NiceAft wrote:Do you have insurance for this?

Ray
Yes I do Ray, but not sure whether I will get replacement or market value at this point.

Do you know anything about boat Sensor alarms that can be inside the cabin but would pick up on movement?

BB

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 am

Crikey wrote:Berb,

I think any future engine you attach should have the bolts reversed, with the nuts on the inside and with a better lock on the cabin hatch. Pretty ballsy to be hefting a big heavy outboard off a boat in the dead of night!
If I was you at this point, I'd up to a 90...... just sayin. :wink:

R.
The Cabin Hatch was not touched thankfully. They just cut all the connections with a large chain cutter removed the bolts and carted her away. The engine has dyna dot id secreted throughout and that is linked to Registration etc but I think they may want it for parts.

Certainly I will install the new one with better protection. thank you for the idea. Was thinking of going with the Etec 75. Do you run a ninety? How do you like it and what is consumption like?

BB

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:52 am

Sorry if I misled you with my post BB but I have a Suzy 60 and probably won't upgrade it for a 'dream' 90 for a couple of years yet. My consumption is very good though probably not as low as the ETEC line. It'd just be nice to have a little extra ooomff.
There was a much earlier discussion on our site about upgrading hasps and latches for securing cabin access, but I don't, in retrospect, think that would deter someone soo determined to lift off a big outboard. Reversed bolts would slow them down greatly. Also a screaming alarm would probably do wonders - just like the automotive model deterrent!
Good luck with the insurance bastards.... :|

R.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:19 am

Berber Boy wrote: “Do you know anything about boat Sensor alarms that can be inside the cabin but would pick up on movement?”

Sorry, I don't.

Ray

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 am

Just to keep you up to date on the bizarre and unfolding drama.

Channel 7 (Victoria) called the Boat owner this morning to say that the Police have recovered the his stolen boat and the two engines. The police confirmed that persons were being charged but the engines were already partially dismantled. So I am not sure whether this is good news or bad news from an Insurance point of view. A reassembled engine paid for by Insurance is not an acceptable option from my point of view. So we will have to see what they come up with. Watch this space.

Dave

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:24 am

Update: I have just returned fromn 5 weeks in Ethiopia and nothing much has changed there or here!. The police have handed over the engine (? parts) to a tow yard who will take it back to Paynesville next week for assessment. I still know nothing about how much has been dismantled or is missing. It was recovered after the thieves who stole it along with another boat and engine ran off a country road into a field. They managed to tow the boat and motors away with a second car and torched the first. This alerted passersby and the police caught up with them. I had hope to go down after Easter but must wait until I have an insurance Settlement.

I have priced a new ETEC 60 at $9800 and the ETEC 75 is $10,500 For US readers that the Us equivalent is about 25% less. If you know of any cheaper deals please let me know. The Insurance payout if it goes that way will be about $5400

Cheers

Dave

sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:08 am

Geez Dave that sucks, Im curious though, why are you in Willow Vale NSW and your boat in the Gippsland lakes? I couldnt stand being that far from my :macx:

Cheers Dennis.

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 pm

There are a couple of reasons Dennis.

Here in Willow Vale I am in between 1.5 to 2 hours to get to reasonable sailing access then I have to rig everything. Never do mange to do it in 15 minutes. Then if the wind is still Ok launch and then repeat before coming home kind of takes the thrill away.

Second. the Vice Admiral (Berber Cub and two Cubettes) youngest daughter lives in Melbourne and she and her husband are keen sailors. So I go down 4-5 times a year for 7-10 days at a time and they pop up there for long weekends as well. I still travel a lot so it makes senses and in Victoria trailers do not need to be tested each year for rego purposes.

It works for me but when I can afford a house on the water somewhere that may change

This is my confident young daughter sailing Windsong in a stiffish breeze
[img][IMG]http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... lAhoy0.mp4[/img][/img]

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Nice video, catchy tune, but how did you fit a complete orchestra on the chase boat :?: :D

Ray

Berber Boy
First Officer

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm

NiceAft wrote:Nice video, catchy tune, but how did you fit a complete orchestra on the chase boat :?: :D

Ray
I had the stereo playing or something like that. They say all edited video is a lie anyway!

Berber Boy
First Officer

Re: Stolen Engine UPDATE

Post by Berber Boy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi Friends,

Just to update you as promised. Although I still have not seen my recovered motor it seems that there was considerable damage to top cover, side panels and a couple of external sensors were broken off. The Throttle cables and harness were also cut in two. The actual engine is intact and was not opened at all. The cost of repairing it was much more than the book value so Insurance are paying me out. Receiving about 60% of replacement value on a 2009 engine from Insurance.

Have purchased a new engine and hope to go and sail again before winter sets in down there in a couple of weeks. I have purchased the old engine and so if anyone is looking for some parts including a SS Prop 13x 13.75 x 3 Let me know.

More later after I have tried out the new engine

Cheers

BB