Non sailing (snow skiing) question

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Non sailing (snow skiing) question

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:12 pm

I am watching a Free Style event (Lake Placid, NY) in World Cup skiing, and here comes Laura Peel from Australia. Where does your Australian team skiers practice. Excuse my ignorance, but where are your skiing hills?

Ray

P.S. Ms. Peel came in third.

cestlavie
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Non sailing (snow skiing) question

Post by cestlavie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 am

She's a legend, lovely down to earth but committed professional. We have 2 snow fields on the mainland, and it snows all over Tasmania (island at bottom, think tassie devil and Sydney to Hobart Yacht race _ Hobart is the state capital of Tasmania. I've seen them practice at all Australian resorts ( they must chase best conditions) but mostly at the Snowy Mountains resorts Thredbo and Perisher.

The 2 mainland Australian snow fields sit on the great dividing range in its lower lattitudes, it's a mountain range that runs from the very nth of Australia's east coast all the way south through the 3 eastern states and the Australian capital territory. In the state of NEw South Wales, it's the Snowy Mountains and resorts Thredbo, persiher etc, and further south in the state of Victoria it's their alpine region with Falls Creek, mt Buller and others.

Our highest mountain is in the Snowy Mountains_ Mt Kosciuosco but it's only 2300m or 7300feet, and you don't climb to it, there's a walking track and skinlifts in the vicinity. So our ski seasons July to october are hit and miss, but with snowmaking it's always a good holiday just some years are wetter. Unfortunately it's cheaper to fly to Japan or NeW Zealand and ski from my home in brisbane Quensland, but we stick with them when the funds are available.

Good on her