europeans

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans
Mistral
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Re: europeans

Post by Mistral »

Rainer,
Despite what the Brits think, the isles are part of Europe
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

mistral,its a long time since you have been in the Uk :D

I live in a town where the population is probably 60% Brits and the rest are of Italian,Asian and more recently European,the europeans are mainly Poles,Lituanians and portugese.In some of our Citys,the ethnic brits are now a minority(officail gov figures)

The place is now so cosmapolitan that the Aussies are returning home,(figures based on Aussie gov statistics),it is estimated that Kangaroo drive(Earls Court London) is loosing its population of aussies, aparently there used to be about 27000 a month coming to London on work visas,its now down to 13000 a month and the ones here are saying that they are going home and the reasons are that the East Europeans are nicking their Jobs :wink:

my prediction for Europe is that Sterling will be replaced by the Euro by next summer :) :(
Pacamac-uk
Engineer

Post by Pacamac-uk »

About time we properly joined Europe and got rid of GBP! Make life a lot easier for all of us.

(With any luck it may put all the chinless wonders called foreign exchange traders in London out of work which is what they and their banks deserve after the monumental mess thay have made of our economy....... driven by greed!)
cmagnus4
Deckhand
Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Post by cmagnus4 »

Have you seen the MacGregor map on this site? Put your boat on the map! Just now I can only see seven Macs on this side of the Atlantic. There must be more :?:
Hope to see you on the map!
cmagnus
(presently the most northern of the Europeans?
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

! kmclemore:
FYI, here's a link to the thread about the maps available to our Mac owning friends.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =4&t=19532

Note that there are TWO maps - one for posting your boat's location or home port, and one for posting locations for nice sailing places.

Please read the directions in the thread before posting - the process appears to be somewhat tricky for some people. But as noted, we generously encourage all Mac owners - from all over the world - to post their boat's location, and on the other map any nice sailing places that others may enjoy.

Cheers!
Kevin
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

peterr991,

You are the first post on this thread since 2011. Let’s see if it is revitalized.

By the way, my paternal grandmother was from Lithuania. Someday I will visit.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

peterr991 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:31 am I am from Lithuania. Have you been there?
NiceAft wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:50 amBy the way, my paternal grandmother was from Lithuania. Someday I will visit.
Labas rytas.

My grandparents were all from Lithuania. But sadly, I haven't been there and at this point, I doubt I ever will.

My father's sister was there recently, a lifelong dream of hers, along with her daughters. My father and his siblings grew up in a Lithuanian area in NJ, next to a polish area, and some other immigrant areas, as was common in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Close to the giant Bayway Refinery along the Turnpike, where one grandfather worked in fact.

And I have a sister who taught herself conversational Lithuanian, but then, she's conversant (at minimum) in something like six languages, and fluent in several of them. Freakish how easily she absorbs languages. :D
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I've heard that there "Europe" is plumb full of furriners :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral