Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Post by lbaldwin »

I there, I have just ordered a new Tattoo 26 and wonder what options I need to include for a week of cruising with the wife and two kids. We live on the Gold Coast in Australia so lots of nice sunny weather to enjoy the boat. Would anyone not recommend a 150 genoa due to poor upwind performance?

Lance
mastreb
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Post by mastreb »

I recommend the 150 Genny irrespective, on a roller furler. The pointing performance of the boat is poor for a number of reasons, and going to a hank-on 110 only fixes one of them.
lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by lbaldwin »

mastreb wrote:I recommend the 150 Genny irrespective, on a roller furler. The pointing performance of the boat is poor for a number of reasons, and going to a hank-on 110 only fixes one of them.
Yes, I've ordered the 150 genoa already. Any ideas about keeping the batteries topped up. I was thinking about putting a 100w flexible solar panel strapped neatly to the bimini. Also, has anyone made an opening in the bimini so you can stand up. Also anyone used a 30hp on their boat. How does it perform and will the boat plane?
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

One of the :macx: owners out of Hammond has a Merc 30HP. I think he may have had it "flashed" to a higher HP. Seems to be doing fine. Not sure I wouldn't like a 30. 8)
lbaldwin wrote:
mastreb wrote:I recommend the 150 Genny irrespective, on a roller furler. The pointing performance of the boat is poor for a number of reasons, and going to a hank-on 110 only fixes one of them.
Yes, I've ordered the 150 genoa already. Any ideas about keeping the batteries topped up. I was thinking about putting a 100w flexible solar panel strapped neatly to the bimini. Also, has anyone made an opening in the bimini so you can stand up. Also anyone used a 30hp on their boat. How does it perform and will the boat plane?
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

I used Blue water yahcts coatal cruising package as a starting point for everything we wanted. good place to start.
vkmaynard
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard »

90 HP motor 8)

Victor
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

Suggest figuring out what you want to do.

Just day sailing on open water in sight of known landmarks? Then the 150 genny with roller furler and a VHF radio.
Going to go new places? A chartplotter and a trailer with brakes (does Tattoo even offer the stripped down trailer?). Upgrade from the single fuel tank. Maybe a compass in case the electronics fail.
Anchoring, especially overnight or in strong winds? A good anchor plus the tiny one the dealer supplies and an anchor light on top of the mast. Possible add some fans for the interior.
Going to prepare food? A freshwater system.
Are you going to store mast up or down? Various items to help speed up rigging like large head clevis for headsail and snap shackles for most other rigging.
Going to perform most sail control yourself while other watch? Lines led aft kit, genny swivel blocks with cleats, and lazy jacks.
Safety gear. USCG has basic minimum. Operating at night - need to add flares. Comfortable PFDs you will actually wear cost more. I just acquired a rescue sling for the stern.
Partying? Stern rail seats.
Comfort? Cockpit cushions.
Docking? A collection of medium and long 1/2 inch dock lines plus a minimum of two fenders and boathooks.
Want to stay out a weekend or a week? Then the list gets real long.
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

RobertB wrote:Operating at night - need to add flares
Just to clarify you are required to have flare regardless of operating at night or during the day.
aviro
Chief Steward

Post by aviro »

hi Lance
electrical solar panel are good but you need a lot if you use some electricity.
I have a refridgerator cooling unit and 3X100 what flexible panel.
flexible panels are a lot lighter and safer hard to breake.
it take 5 minutes to install it when you lower the mast.

tell me if you need more info
J. F.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

Going on three years my single battery has remained topped up from just the routine use of the ETEC-60. Never had any battery drain related issues. It's a 105ah deep cycle, stock from the factory.

I've always thought that I'd add a 15 watt battery topper when needed, and the need simply hasn't shown up.

I've saved quite a bit of money by waiting until I had a problem to solve it :D
aviro
Chief Steward

Post by aviro »

hi mastreb
mi problem is I have a big electric cooler/freezer.
I like to eat ice-cream in my boat :P and I can be 2 or 3 weeks on the water always at anchor.
electricity is always a problem and I don't like the noise of a generator.
the 3 panel do the job. barely during the winter in Florida. during the summer plenty of wats
J.F.
Matt19020
Captain
Location: Middle River, Chesapeake Bay MD...2007 MacM Suzuki DF70 4-Stroke ..... "My Time"

Post by Matt19020 »

This was my "Ideal list" When I purchased Mine. From post: http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... f=9&t=7219

Permanent Head
28" Edson Wheel (26 or 24 would be better)
70 HP Motor
Stereo & Bose cockpit speakers (more difficult then you think!)
AC Power with Circuit Breakers
GPS (Lowrance 3600)
Compass
Raymarine ST40 Bidata Depthfinder
Dual batteries and switching
Stern Seats from BWY
Bimini from BWY
Sail Covers from BWY
Fortress Anchor
On board Charger
Inclinometer
Trailer Brakes
Boarding Ladder

Phase 2 - This is how the list expanded:
Added ACR to batteries
Replaced DC panel with Circuit Breakers
Hour Meter
Companionway Hatch Handle
Cherry wood enclosures for the electrical panels
Pedestal Guard from BWY
Dual Fuel Tanks
Fuel Monitoring System
Spare tire holder on trailer

Phase 3- (when my budget recovers)
Bottom Paint & barrier coat
BBQ or stove
Replace interior lighting with LED or Flourecent
110V inverter
Hatch holder
Air Conditioner
Solar Vent
Fuel water separator/Filter
Pressurized water
microwave
In cabin hot water shower
Remake cabin table with a chart imbedded
Cockpit Table
Dinghy & Motor
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Hi Ibaldwin and welcome,

I sail just up the coat from you in Moreton Bay and have had my :macm: since 2008, mine was the one that Cameron at Bluereef Yachts used to model his Whitsunday Package off and I think it was the second :macm: he imported 8)

My 2 cents from sailing our local waters for the last 6 years all year round and how I have rigged my boat. I originally had a 150 and stock main but now have the following.

Furling asym spinnaker Rolly tasker on a 1 metre bowsprit.
Furling 110 on the factory cdi knockoff.
Full baton heavier weight Rolly tasker main with double reef points and refurbished factory main both with slugs. (Lazy Jacks and single line reefing)

I have found our summer afternoon sea-breezes too often over powered the boat with the 150 and even furled it was PITA as the shape and trim was so bad, weather helm was also a big problem and handling in the 1 metre chop not good. I have found that in any weather conditions you can use the full genny in you can use the asym. Especially in Autumn and Winter before the strong westerlies kick in.

Decide what type of sailing you want to do then match you rig to that. If you want to sail in light air 5-10 knots only then the 150 and factory main are just fine. If you are going to go out all day and get caught out in a 15-20knot sea-breeze regularly coming home look at a smaller head-sail and an asym.
Or just motor there are so many options with theses boats. Treat them as a basic kit and mould them to your own needs, after you drill that first hole in her the rest come easy :) .

But by far the number one best mod I have made and the most useful is an autopilot.

With the amount of sun we get a 40 watt panel would be more than enough to keep the batteries at full charge. I have an 80 watt for the auto pilot and after 6 years still have the original 90AH battery the boat came with.

Look at the mod section of this forum for many good ideas.

As for motors if you are only planning on hull speeds get a 15hp for anything else get a 60hp or if you want to tow kids a 90. A 30 won't get you on plan unless you have nothing on board and the tide at your back :P

I originally regretted not getting a 90 once I started loading the boat up and found how slow it was with a 60 but now I rarely motor above hull speed so the 60 does just fine. Getting the right prop also helped a lot, swapped out the original 13.75x13 for a 14x11.

All the best and see you out there.
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

yukonbob wrote:
RobertB wrote:Operating at night - need to add flares
Just to clarify you are required to have flare regardless of operating at night or during the day.
There is a difference between daytime smoke flares and nightime "real" flares. The dealer supplied me with smoke and these are not qualified for nightime use.
mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx »

I have the Suzuki 70hp four stroke , and it did fine before all the mods and "stuff" ..... Now I need to see if the Dealer can flash it to a 90hp....I tried it myself...but no reaction :D :D :!: Best of luck. Ron.