Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Buying a new Tattoo 26. what options are a must?

Post by yukonbob » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

RobertB wrote:
yukonbob wrote:
RobertB wrote:Operating at night - need to add flares
Just to clarify you are required to have flare regardless of operating at night or during the day.
There is a difference between daytime smoke flares and nightime "real" flares. The dealer supplied me with smoke and these are not qualified for nightime use.
That only applies to boats under 16 feet or an open sailboat under 26 feet not equiped with a motor.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 pm

yukonbob wrote:
RobertB wrote:
yukonbob wrote:
Just to clarify you are required to have flare regardless of operating at night or during the day.
There is a difference between daytime smoke flares and nightime "real" flares. The dealer supplied me with smoke and these are not qualified for nightime use.
That only applies to boats under 16 feet or an open sailboat under 26 feet not equiped with a motor.
Huh?? We are operating 26 foot motor equipped sailboats.

Per the Federal guide on equipment for recreational boats:
"Visual Distress Signals (33 CFR 175.101)
Vessels operating on U S coastal waters, the Great Lakes, and territorial seas, as well as those waters connected directly, up to a point where the waterway is less than two nautical miles wide, must be equipped with U S Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals (VDS) Vessels owned in the United States and operating on the high seas must also be equipped with U S Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals.
The following vessels are not required to carry day signals, but must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise:
• Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length [does not apply]
• Boats participating in organized events, such as races, regattas, or marine parades [irrelevant]
• Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length that are not equipped with propulsion machinery [we have motors]
• Manually propelled boats [we have motors and sails]"

So, we are required to carry day signals (26 foot and motorized) - none of the exceptions referenced above apply
And if we operate at night we must also have night signals (there are no exceptions to this).

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Some Must haves in my opinion:

5gal Head
Stove
BBQ
BWY motor quick disconnect
Bimini (gets hot in the sun)
Compass
VHF with masthead antenna
Dual Batteries and combiner
Sail covers
Roller furling headsail
Boarding Ladder
Decent Size anchor, chain and line
12v plug
A really good cooler. 5-7 day

Nice to have:
Chartplotter
Dodger
Stereo
Stern Seats from BWY
Dual Fuel Tanks
Spare tire holder on trailer
Pedestal grab handle

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Huh?? We are operating 26 foot motor equipped sailboats.

Per the Federal guide on equipment for recreational boats:
"Visual Distress Signals (33 CFR 175.101)
Vessels operating on U S coastal waters, the Great Lakes, and territorial seas, as well as those waters connected directly, up to a point where the waterway is less than two nautical miles wide, must be equipped with U S Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals (VDS) Vessels owned in the United States and operating on the high seas must also be equipped with U S Coast Guard-approved visual distress signals.
The following vessels are not required to carry day signals, but must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise:
• Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length [does not apply]
• Boats participating in organized events, such as races, regattas, or marine parades [irrelevant]
• Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length that are not equipped with propulsion machinery [we have motors]
• Manually propelled boats [we have motors and sails]"

So, we are required to carry day signals (26 foot and motorized) - none of the exceptions referenced above apply
And if we operate at night we must also have night signals (there are no exceptions to this).
USCG Vessel safety checklist
http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1600 ... 6796_8.pdf
USCG Federal Requirements
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/wor ... ns/420.PDF

All vessels 16 feet and over, operating on the high seas and the coastal waters of the U.S., as defined by Federal regulations, must be equipped with Coast Guard approved visual distress signals. Between the hours of sunset and sunrise ALL boats, on both International and Inland Waters, must carry on board a means of distress signaling suitable for night use.
This means that ALL boats over 16 ft are required to carry the below with the exceptions we have both outlined.

The Coast Guard requires that recreational vessels carry three day and three night visual distress signals. The exceptions to this regulation are powered vessels under 16 feet and open sailing vessels under 26 feet without motors. These two exceptions are required to carry them if operated at night on coastal waters.

During Inspection: Verify that the boat has on board suitable devices in the number and type required for day and night use. Different combinations are acceptable. The type of device determines the number required.

The following are just a few of the many combinations of devices that will meet the requirements:
• 3 hand-held red flares that are approved for day/night use
• 1 hand-held red flare and 2 parachute flares for day/night use
• 1 hand-held orange smoke signal and 2 floating orange smoke
signals for day, and 1 electric distress light for night

*Electric device caveat -
Acceptable for night use only
Automatically flashes the international SOS distress signal
Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 013

Under Inland Navigation Rules, a high-intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50-70 times per minute is considered a distress signal. Such devices, however, do not meet the Visual Distress Signal carriage requirement.

dustoff
Deckhand

Post by dustoff » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 pm

RussMT wrote:Some Must haves in my opinion:

5gal Head
Stove
BBQ
Compass
Sail covers
Roller furling headsail
Boarding Ladder
12v plug

Nice to have:
Chartplotter
Dodger
Stereo
Stern Seats from BWY
Dual Fuel Tanks
Pedestal grab handle
Agree with this list but would add an "especially nice to have category" which would include:
lines aft setup w/ mainsail slugs and well arranged deck blocks and clutches.
AC power connection plugging into marinas with outlet in the boat and battery charger
freshwater system w/ shower at transom for washing off saltwater
rudder 2:1 blocks mounted to stern seats listed above
lazy jacks or Dutchman system

add a topping lift to must have
add a backup anchor to must have

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 pm

You guys in Australia afraid of the sharks? They tell us over here there are a lot of sharks over there that eat people.

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Sharks are ok to dive with, been doing it for 40 years and unless you provoke them they are safe and enjoy watching them.
Been all over the Carribean on my 35ft sailboat for 3 years and never had a problem with them diving.
They are much like a alligator, they avoid humans.
Edit. They detect fear and would eat your butt in seconds. :D

Dave
BOAT wrote:You guys in Australia afraid of the sharks? They tell us over here there are a lot of sharks over there that eat people.

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 am

BOAT wrote:You guys in Australia afraid of the sharks? They tell us over here there are a lot of sharks over there that eat people.
Been swimming in these waters almost 50 years, ain't been bit yet. More likely to die of a bee sting or towing the boat to the ramp.

Most dangerous shark here is the bull shark and you have them in the US also. :wink:

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

I think I'll stay on the boat, thank you.

~Rich

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I wouldn't categorize this as a "must have" but the item that has single-handedly improved my sailing experience the most is an autopilot. It allows me to concentrate on sail trimming and solves the notoriously nervous helm of the Mac M. It's amazing how much of my "troubles" with sailing the M came down to not noticing 15 degree course swings while I was doing something else.

I've verified with RayMarine tech support that their "Wireless SmartController" will work with the EV-1 along with their SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, so that's next on the mod list (after getting my rig put back together) and will provide the ability to steer from inside the cabin in inclement weather without any hackery. I'll post on it when I get it done.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=848
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=1597

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Is that a merman/maid? I learned all about them on Discovery Channel. :D
Hamin' X wrote:I think I'll stay on the boat, thank you.

~Rich

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Notice nature makes them white for speed...just sayin.....

lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by lbaldwin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm

mastreb wrote:I recommend the 150 Genny irrespective, on a roller furler. The pointing performance of the boat is poor for a number of reasons, and going to a hank-on 110 only fixes one of them.
Yes, the 150 is the go I think. Do you think I would need a jib?

lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm

RussMT wrote:Some Must haves in my opinion:

5gal Head
Stove
BBQ
Compass
Sail covers
Roller furling headsail
Boarding Ladder
12v plug

Nice to have:
Chartplotter
Dodger
Stereo
Stern Seats from BWY
Dual Fuel Tanks
Pedestal grab handle

Thanks. Have thought about most of the above. My concern is battery usage. I've ordered a 200amp battery but am unsure if I need to include a solar panel. Im sure the fridge and the girls ipods etc will consume alot of power.

lbaldwin
Deckhand

Post by lbaldwin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:45 pm

mastreb wrote:I wouldn't categorize this as a "must have" but the item that has single-handedly improved my sailing experience the most is an autopilot. It allows me to concentrate on sail trimming and solves the notoriously nervous helm of the Mac M. It's amazing how much of my "troubles" with sailing the M came down to not noticing 15 degree course swings while I was doing something else.

I've verified with RayMarine tech support that their "Wireless SmartController" will work with the EV-1 along with their SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, so that's next on the mod list (after getting my rig put back together) and will provide the ability to steer from inside the cabin in inclement weather without any hackery. I'll post on it when I get it done.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=848
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=1597

Auto helm would be great but fitted is around $3k Aus