Meet Tattoo Yachts Hull #95

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Meet Tattoo Yachts Hull #95

Post by Tenacious » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am

Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a Tattoo Yachts 26 :tat26: , Hull #95. My wife and I have named the ship "Tenacious". I purchased directly from the Tattoo Yachts (no dealer).

Here are some pictures.

As delivered last week in the pouring rain-

After the rain subsided-

Sitting at the ramp yesterday while I prepare to launch for the first time. I think I raised the mast correctly (still have the raising system connected in this pic), if you guys see any issues please let me know.

So the first trip was successful, however, we did not get any sailing in yet. All we did was motor about in Pohick Bay (off of the Potomac River) in Northern Virginia. Since I didn't buy from a dealer, I had to figure out how to raise the mast by reading the manual and watching youtube videos. I'm more of a visual learner so the videos helped much more than the manual.

Unfortunately, my experience is a little slim to date. Most of my sailing has been on Flying Scots (rentals) that come pre-rigged and at most all you have to do is adjust the main/job halyard to tighten up any slack. That puts me at a significant disadvantage as I haven't yet figured out how to rig the boat for sailing. If there are any local Mac owners in the Northern VA area that would be willing to stop by and give me a hand, I would be most appreciative!! I'll supply lunch!! I'm sure I'd get it on the first try if someone could walk me through the process.

Also, any other hints/tips/tricks on how to setup the rigging would be very helpful.

Thanks all and looking forward to many exciting trips to come!
-Robert

Obelix
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Meet Tattoo Yachts Hull #95

Post by Obelix » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Congratulations, it is such a great feeling when the boat finally arrives :)

Obelix

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Congrats on the new boat Image

Expect years of enjoyment.

Ray

Tenacious
Chief Steward

Post by Tenacious » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's real exciting and the Admiral and I are definitely looking forward to a lot of great days sailing.

-Robert

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Nothing like a brand new shiny boat. Looks fantastic.

Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences.

And...you can get to this forum via tattoosailors.com

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Great looking boat, looks just like the MacM.
Can you explain the updates compared to the M.?
Dave
Tenacious wrote:Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a Tattoo Yachts 26 :tat26: , Hull #95. My wife and I have named the ship "Tenacious". I purchased directly from the Tattoo Yachts (no dealer).

Here are some pictures.

As delivered last week in the pouring rain-

After the rain subsided-

Sitting at the ramp yesterday while I prepare to launch for the first time. I think I raised the mast correctly (still have the raising system connected in this pic), if you guys see any issues please let me know.

So the first trip was successful, however, we did not get any sailing in yet. All we did was motor about in Pohick Bay (off of the Potomac River) in Northern Virginia. Since I didn't buy from a dealer, I had to figure out how to raise the mast by reading the manual and watching youtube videos. I'm more of a visual learner so the videos helped much more than the manual.

Unfortunately, my experience is a little slim to date. Most of my sailing has been on Flying Scots (rentals) that come pre-rigged and at most all you have to do is adjust the main/job halyard to tighten up any slack. That puts me at a significant disadvantage as I haven't yet figured out how to rig the boat for sailing. If there are any local Mac owners in the Northern VA area that would be willing to stop by and give me a hand, I would be most appreciative!! I'll supply lunch!! I'm sure I'd get it on the first try if someone could walk me through the process.

Also, any other hints/tips/tricks on how to setup the rigging would be very helpful.

Thanks all and looking forward to many exciting trips to come!
-Robert

NavySailor
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by NavySailor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:26 am

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:52 am

Is that aft tie-down strap provided by the factory or one of your own choosing? It is massive!

Welcome to the area - if you are ever up in the Clarksville/Columbia Maryland area you are welcome to stop by and see all the mods I have made to my :macm: - The list is extensive.

Tenacious
Chief Steward

Post by Tenacious » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:51 pm

RobertB wrote:Is that aft tie-down strap provided by the factory or one of your own choosing? It is massive!

Welcome to the area - if you are ever up in the Clarksville/Columbia Maryland area you are welcome to stop by and see all the mods I have made to my :macm: - The list is extensive.
The aft tie down strap was provided by the factory. It's a large strap, however, it looks much bigger because of the carpet slid onto the strap to add some cushion. It's a nice touch, however, the carpet won't last long. I am actually looking for some straps with padding or some other solution to replace it because the carpet is shedding all over the place. It's as if the backing of the carpet is falling apart. We have had a lot of rain recently in northern VA and I'm sure it's just regular household carpet. So, no complaints from me.

Also, I'd love to take a look at your boat some time. I get up your way on occasion. I'll have to send you a message next time I head that way.

Take care,
Robert

Tenacious
Chief Steward

Post by Tenacious » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:07 pm

DaveB wrote:Great looking boat, looks just like the MacM.
Can you explain the updates compared to the M.?
Dave
Dave, below is a list of differences as posted on the Tattoo site. I can attest that the interior LED lighting is very nice. Also, I like the pedestal redesign but I think the Macgregor pedestal was nice as well. The interior bamboo finish is classy and is textured which is something that didn't come across in the pictures. The straps on the cockpit seat hatches are nice. I definitely don't want the fuel tanks moving about when trailering! I like that the topping lift is included. I may have added a boom crutch if I had bought a Macgregor used. Lastly, although not listed, I prefer the covering on the interior cushions. It's like a fake plastic leather, sort of like what's used in car "pleather" seats. It looks like it will hold up to the elements and use well.

The Tattoo 26 differs from the MacGregor 26 as follows:

The standard boat is white with blue stripes on both the hull and deck. The blue is a dark navy and the white is warmer than MacGregor white. We also offer a navy blue hull with white stripes.

We have reduced the size of the stripes on the deck. We also break the upper stripe between the side and front windows.

Stern rails are now standard equipment.

The steering pedestal has been redesigned.

We have modified the helmsman’s seat both to strengthen it and make access easier.

The interior liner is cream and the cushions are a lighter color with a higher-grade cushion foam. This is neutral enough that the entire look of the interior can be changed with a few accent colors.

The bulkheads are now bamboo rather than mahogany finish.

The table is molded fiberglass that incorporates storage.

The standard trailer has a galvanized tongue and wheels. The jack and hitch are bolted on rather than welded so they are easier to repair or replace.

We install a ballast plug with a molded female receiver instead of trying to adjust the plug to the hole in the fiberglass tank.

A 6-switch 12-volt panel and LED lights are now standard.

The seat hatches in the cockpit are supplied with straps to keep fuel tanks from sliding out.

Lines are coded with color tracers, and halyards are led aft to the cockpit.

The mainsail has been redesigned with a larger head to increase sail area slightly and give a more modern look.

A topping lift to hold the boom up is now standard.

The traveller is replaced with a pad eye on centerline and offset positions to move the boom out of the cockpit at anchor.

A 4:1 vang is standard equipment.

We fit Lewmar aluminum sheet winches.

We use high quality ISO-DCPD resin instead of Ortho-DCPD resin for improved osmosis resistance.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Tenacious wrote: We have reduced the size of the stripes on the deck. We also break the upper stripe between the side and front windows.
I really like this
Stern rails are now standard equipment.
I believe Laura doesn't believe in stern SEATS. I love our stern seats. Hundreds of Macs with stern seats and no issues. Offer seats as an option Laura.
The table is molded fiberglass that incorporates storage.
I like the storage idea, but not the molded fiberglass. BWY cuts the table in half on a hinge. We really like this as we normally keep it folded in half.
The standard trailer has a galvanized tongue and wheels. The jack and hitch are bolted on rather than welded so they are easier to repair or replace.
The trailer seems to have matured a lot. I like this.
A 6-switch 12-volt panel and LED lights are now standard.
YES!
The seat hatches in the cockpit are supplied with straps to keep fuel tanks from sliding out.
Another Yes!
Lines are coded with color tracers, and halyards are led aft to the cockpit.
Good
The mainsail has been redesigned with a larger head to increase sail area slightly and give a more modern look.
Eeh, it's a powersailor. Still, any improvement is welcome.
A topping lift to hold the boom up is now standard.
This should have always been standard. What do folks do with a boom on the deck? I line to the top of the mast doesn't price the boat out of reach.
The traveller is replaced with a pad eye on centerline and offset positions to move the boom out of the cockpit at anchor.
Don't like this. A traveler was a great addition. Removing it is not.
A 4:1 vang is standard equipment.
Nice but I've never found the need for it. If it came with the boat, I might like it.
We use high quality ISO-DCPD resin instead of Ortho-DCPD resin for improved osmosis resistance.
This is HUGE! I assume this means fewer blisters. Those of us who have blemishes wish we had this.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 pm

The two best days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells his boat :)

Congrats Tenacious, Shes a beauty 8) Wait to see how much money you are going to spend buying presents for her now :wink:

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:00 am

Ditto :P
Mac26Mpaul wrote:The two best days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells his boat :)

Congrats Tenacious, Shes a beauty 8) Wait to see how much money you are going to spend buying presents for her now :wink:

Tenacious
Chief Steward

Post by Tenacious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 am

Mac26Mpaul wrote:The two best days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells his boat :)

Thanks Mac26mPaul, I appreciate it. I already started with the present, I'm on a slippery slope. I picked up a Lowrance HDS 5 Gen 2 Chart Plotter/Fish Finder combo.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:27 pm

Everybody needs a chart plotter. Mandatory equipment in my opinion, especially if you live anywhere where you can be fogged in. You won't find your way home in a fog without one.

Of the dozens of mods I've done, the #1 most important to improving enjoyment of the boat without a doubt is the autopilot. If you can afford it, you should get one. I wish I'd done it right off the bat rather than waiting three years. It dramatically improves the sailing of the boat, eliminates a lot of frustration with the helmsman while you're trimming, makes the boat trivially single-hand-able, and allows you to relax and enjoy the day. If your chart plotter is NMEA 0183 or 2000 compatible, they can work together as well.