Meet Tattoo Yachts Hull #95

Moderators: Catigale, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Meet Tattoo Yachts Hull #95

Post by dlandersson » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:12 pm

I got caught in a fog once. I quickly went from"How bad can it be?" to "Holy s---!" I did not like it, thank heavens for my chart plotter. 8)
mastreb wrote:Everybody needs a chart plotter. Mandatory equipment in my opinion, especially if you live anywhere where you can be fogged in. You won't find your way home in a fog without one.

Of the dozens of mods I've done, the #1 most important to improving enjoyment of the boat without a doubt is the autopilot. If you can afford it, you should get one. I wish I'd done it right off the bat rather than waiting three years. It dramatically improves the sailing of the boat, eliminates a lot of frustration with the helmsman while you're trimming, makes the boat trivially single-hand-able, and allows you to relax and enjoy the day. If your chart plotter is NMEA 0183 or 2000 compatible, they can work together as well.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:49 pm

I saw no reason for a chart plotter. I'm on a friggin lake. How can you get lost? It's a big lake, but it's a friggin lake. You can't get lost.

The CP came with the boat. Instantly I found coves that were not visibe from the water. Now I find this the most invaluable device on the boat. This thing is so cool.

At night, it's pitch friggin dark. No lights on shore to give reference. The CP shows me the way in. That rocky reef, no prob, the CP guides me in right past it. I have become a believer. I'm an old school compass driven salt. But this chart plotter is the coolest device on my boat. When I can't see the shoreline, it shows me where I am. Where I was. Brilliant device.

I often use it to check charging voltage on my batts. If connected, it can show me rpms, GPM , all kinds of cool stuff.
I haven't caught a fish yet, but that's probably because I can't fish. Do you have to put something on the end of the fishing line?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 pm

One time we got in a fog so bad coming back into Oceanside Harbor the visibility went down pretty bad. I would say the visibility was so that I could not see any object that was more than 100 feet away. And dark! Man, it was a DARK fog! So dark that my chartplotter was like a table lamp in that foggy darkness! It was like watching TV in a room at night with no lights on!

If you know anything about Oceanside Harbor it has a pretty nasty shoal break on rocks on both sides of the entrance and a shallow bottom that can kick up the swells into a little bit of a washing machine kind of thing. You really don't want to miss the middle of the mouth or you could get busted up on the rocks. I don't think it's that bad because they have a really good horn on the end of the rocks and you can hear the surf breaking on both sides - so in the fog you just drive between the sounds of the waves. This was the first time I did the mouth with a chartplotter - it was a nice helper.

What was so funny is that several power boats were lurking in the area listening for the horns marking the entrance trying to find the mouth of the Harbor. We were under sail so we could hear them turn off their engines to listen to the horns so we knew right where they were even though we could not see them.

After about 20 minutes we noticed that about 4 power boats were going real slow right behind us instead of passing us. We were rather slow being under sail so I was amused they would go so slow behind 'boat'. I realized that our chartplotter was probably like a lighted beacon in that pea soup and they realized I was steering the boat totally on GPS (and I was), so they were all following us into the harbor! Some of the boats were too small to have GPS and some of them were too big to risk going around us and getting close to the rocks.

Once all the other boats lurking around the mouth saw the line of boats they all jumped in line too! It was quite a parade of boats all coming into the harbor with me in the lead! I though that was sort of funny.

lbaldwin
Deckhand
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by lbaldwin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Tenacious wrote:Hello all,

I am the proud new owner of a Tattoo Yachts 26 :tat26: , Hull #95. My wife and I have named the ship "Tenacious". I purchased directly from the Tattoo Yachts (no dealer).

Here are some pictures.

As delivered last week in the pouring rain-

After the rain subsided-

Sitting at the ramp yesterday while I prepare to launch for the first time. I think I raised the mast correctly (still have the raising system connected in this pic), if you guys see any issues please let me know.

So the first trip was successful, however, we did not get any sailing in yet. All we did was motor about in Pohick Bay (off of the Potomac River) in Northern Virginia. Since I didn't buy from a dealer, I had to figure out how to raise the mast by reading the manual and watching youtube videos. I'm more of a visual learner so the videos helped much more than the manual.

Unfortunately, my experience is a little slim to date. Most of my sailing has been on Flying Scots (rentals) that come pre-rigged and at most all you have to do is adjust the main/job halyard to tighten up any slack. That puts me at a significant disadvantage as I haven't yet figured out how to rig the boat for sailing. If there are any local Mac owners in the Northern VA area that would be willing to stop by and give me a hand, I would be most appreciative!! I'll supply lunch!! I'm sure I'd get it on the first try if someone could walk me through the process.

Also, any other hints/tips/tricks on how to setup the rigging would be very helpful.

Thanks all and looking forward to many exciting trips to come!
-Robert

Hi
My Tattoo arrived 5 weeks ago and i am a happy camper. Some of the boat is really good quality and some of it is substandard. What i don't like is the finish of the windows. There are no molding like the M just gaps between the interior shell and the window itself. This is something i would like to fix but not sure how to. I suppose you get what you pay for. The other things is the finish. There are scratches on surfaces and fibreglass resin etc. If your new car turned up like this you would send it back. These are things i can live with and in time can fix. Apart from that i am in love with her. She is a beauty. I now find myself looking at long grass on the lawns as i spend most of my time either sailing or modifying her.

Lance

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Post a picture of your windows, but I believe they are the same as my :macm: . No moldings, just inner liner, gap, window.

Scratches - yeah, same when I received my :macm:
Mine was delivered by being towed behind a pickup truck across country. So, my "new" trailer already had several thousand miles on it when delivered :P
The inside had stuff thrown all over the place including loose hardware. The one remaining trailer light was in the process of falling apart. The other was somewhere between CA and MD.
Welcome to MAC/TAT ownership :)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:50 pm

That must be why 'Luna Sea' and 'boat' are so shiny - Matt and I picked up our boats ourselves at the factory and it was only a 49 mile drive home from the plant. Well, at least you know that your trailer has been well road tested! :)

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:59 pm

There are options, Celetial Navigation. I for one had the only means for my 3 year trip from Ma. thru S.Amarica with a Sextant back in 1982.
There were no GPS, Sat. phones. VHF and SSB or Ham was the way, I only had VHF and short wave receiver to get BBC or other Ham but could not send.
Today many depend on electronic Navigation.
Lot of people don't even know there was Loran A and C.
I just watched a movie from Robert Redford (all Alone) all about being stranded on a 32 ft sailboat.
I been thru seas of 40 ft. for 3 days and he makes it look easy.
Always be prepared and that means having ready equipment for survival if SI>T happens.
Watch the movie, you will pickup on all the mistakes he had done.
In true life he would have experanced much more wind and waves.
Dave
mastreb wrote:Everybody needs a chart plotter. Mandatory equipment in my opinion, especially if you live anywhere where you can be fogged in. You won't find your way home in a fog without one.

Of the dozens of mods I've done, the #1 most important to improving enjoyment of the boat without a doubt is the autopilot. If you can afford it, you should get one. I wish I'd done it right off the bat rather than waiting three years. It dramatically improves the sailing of the boat, eliminates a lot of frustration with the helmsman while you're trimming, makes the boat trivially single-hand-able, and allows you to relax and enjoy the day. If your chart plotter is NMEA 0183 or 2000 compatible, they can work together as well.
Last edited by DaveB on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:03 pm

True sayings about the navigation - when I was a kid there were no electronics at all on board. My dad and i used a sextant and charts. We made the approaches in the fog all the time and we just used the horns like everyone else did back in the old days.

Having the plotter sure makes things a lot less stressful!

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:12 pm

I am sure your dad had a RDF (Radio Directional Finder).
Pee Soup Fog will always send false signals , but it helped.
Prudent Sailor relies on all means of Navigation and that includes Dead Recon.
Dave
BOAT wrote:True sayings about the navigation - when I was a kid there were no electronics at all on board. My dad and i used a sextant and charts. We made the approaches in the fog all the time and we just used the horns like everyone else did back in the old days.

Having the plotter sure makes things a lot less stressful!

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:20 pm

Yes, as a matter of fact we did have one of those and i used it once on the approach to Avalon in the fog because there is a radio station on the hill above Avalon. I completely forgot about that stupid thing! It was a vary large black box with a big speaker on the front and a log tuner. On the very top of the big box was this long rectangular thing that would swivel almost all the way around - it sort of looked like a radar thing.

I hated that thing because there were two ways to track a radio station: one was by the strongest signal and another method was to track the NULL signal. One of them (I can't remember which) was the 90 degree vector and the other was an approximate vector. As i recall the NULL vector was supposed to be more accurate than the direct vector. I could never seem to get a good direction but my dad seemed to use it with some success.

In any case it was a pretty crappy way to navigate from my point of view. I totally forgot about that thing. It must have been important or my dad would not have carried one on board.

DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Yep ,back in the mid 60's we take out our Dads 38ft Seascrib for a 10-12 day trip on the Gulf 150 miles out riged with 4 Bandit downhawls for Grouper and Snapper.
14 inch reels going down to 100 ft. or more depth. Wire line with Jap hooks on a bridal.
Crank that barrel up when hooked a double Grouper weighs 50 lbs with lead weight, one to one ratio. Do it non stop for 8 hrs.
That will Crank any Tractor over. :)
Dave

BOAT wrote:Yes, as a matter of fact we did have one of those and i used it once on the approach to Avalon in the fog because there is a radio station on the hill above Avalon. I completely forgot about that stupid thing! It was a vary large black box with a big speaker on the front and a log tuner. On the very top of the big box was this long rectangular thing that would swivel almost all the way around - it sort of looked like a radar thing.

I hated that thing because there were two ways to track a radio station: one was by the strongest signal and another method was to track the NULL signal. One of them (I can't remember which) was the 90 degree vector and the other was an approximate vector. As i recall the NULL vector was supposed to be more accurate than the direct vector. I could never seem to get a good direction but my dad seemed to use it with some success.

In any case it was a pretty crappy way to navigate from my point of view. I totally forgot about that thing. It must have been important or my dad would not have carried one on board.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:44 pm

I know nothing about fishing.

DaveB
Admiral

Post by DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:52 pm

You don't need to know, Sit down on a river with a fishing pole and enjoy. Rewards are those who look at nature.
Rewards are those who see it.
Dave

BOAT wrote:I know nothing about fishing.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:29 pm

BOAT wrote:That must be why 'Luna Sea' and 'boat' are so shiny - Matt and I picked up our boats ourselves at the factory and it was only a 49 mile drive home from the plant. Well, at least you know that your trailer has been well road tested! :)
Boat, look at my avatar - Luna Sea :o

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm

The OTHER Luna