First Boat Bites

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
MisfitSailers
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

First Boat Bites

Post by MisfitSailers »

We decided to brave the choppy waters of Galveston Bay this past Sunday before the storms rolled in. We secured everything in the boat, got the kiddo set up with his life jacket, plus Nintendo switch to amuse himself, and then declared ourselves ready to sail. As we headed out of the marina the clouds had been building up, a light sprinkling of rain off and on but the winds weren't supposed to be too awfully bad. I may have been singing off-key Moana songs from the bow while hanging on to the headsail with one hand, boat hook in the other while making sure we made it out of the marina safely.

As we entered the channel and headed for the jetties into the bay, I'd gone below and was up in the v-berth with the kiddo. We decided it would be fun to pop our heads through the hatch (life jackets on) to wave to the people on the boardwalk. Added bonus is that we got sprayed by the water every time the bow crashed into the next wave. We were having a grand old time.

Everything is great, life is wonderful, this is so much fun but then... then the loud "CA-THUNK!" grabbed my attention, I had only a moment to panic that we'd hit some floating debris before I noticed the sound of the anchor chain racing out of the anchor locker. I'm yelling at the husband to "STOP THE ENGINE!" as I'm diving out the hatch to grab the anchor rode before it has a chance to follow the chain. So here I am, the most uncoordinated sailor ever, climbing my not insignificantly sized bottom through the bow hatch, hand over hand in true She-Hulk fashion retrieving the almost 30 foot of chain and anchor that has fallen into the water. I swear it felt like nothing at that moment. I even had a slight panic thought that the anchor itself had fallen off the chain with how light it felt. It was still there, thankfully.

The boat is not quite out of the channel jetties and into the bay so we are holding up traffic as I'm fighting against the wild lurching of the boat in the waves to grab the anchor that has fallen off the anchor roller and is now pounding against the hull. I manage to wedge my knees in the pulpit, one hand holding on to the anchor chain so it doesn't drop off again and the other getting sliced open repeatedly on the safety wire that secures the anchor to the chain. The husband swears he didn't leave it with that sharp edge, but he may need to rely on his own hands for a while as mine recover... :wink:

I felt like I was on a bob damned mechanical bull but with the added bonus of having a razor blade slice across my palm with every move. The good news is that after what felt like forever, I managed to get the anchor back onto the anchor roller, and then because I couldn't find the lock that should have been securing it, just stuffed the whole damn thing the best I could into the anchor locker and secured that instead.

I got to follow that whole act by doing my impression of a drunken sloth as I maneuvered from the bow to the cockpit, all while the boat continued to rock wildly in the waves, but we made it out of the channel. No one sank. No one went overboard. I will now be double-checking to make sure that damn anchor is properly secured so I don't have to do a repeat performance.

We made it out into the bay, we secured the anchor and locker again as soon as we were out of the way of traffic. By then, the weather that had felt like it was just going to be slightly gusty was sending our boat bobbing about like a thimble on water. Any adventurous feelings I'd started off with had apparently toppled overboard during the anchor fiasco. We decided to pack it in. We turned her around, made it safely back through the jetties, into the channel, and then parked her back in our marina slip. We decided the rest of the afternoon would be relaxing in the pool.

The husband, laughingly, upon the retelling of watching me and my very super graceful waltz across the deck during all of this, asked me, "why didn't you just go back through the hatch?"

I may feed him to the next shark I find.

reported casualties:
  • My right hand has several small gashes, thankfully most are superficial. There was only a little bleeding. Sore as feck today but no lasting damage.
  • Scraped up shins and thighs from I'm guessing the deck and pulpit as the waves thrashed both the boat and I about.
  • The boat itself seems fine. No major damage, not even a scratch that could be seen. Super impressed actually, as I was for sure that anchor (Delta 14lbs) had torn our boat a new one.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: First Boat Bites

Post by OverEasy »

Hi MisfitSailers,

Points to you for your seaworthy actions!
You got it done!🏅

The slip clip that holds our Danforth has jumped a few times but hasn’t released it as yet.🙄

But after seeing it jump the first time we loop the chain over/around the bar protrusions and added a shackle to the bow rail. It hasn’t budged on its own since.

Deployment after removal of the shackle is straight forward by unloosing the chain and easing it over.

We also ditched the SST safety wire in favor of waxed UV resistant nylon cord to secure the anchor/chain & chain/rode shackle pins. No cuts!

Glad you saved the day!

Hope the wounds heal quickly and yer hubby appreciates your heroic sea’woman’ship!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Last edited by OverEasy on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Hahaha great story. Good story-telling, too.

The adrenaline rush must have been quite something.

You mention bobbing around like a cork: I'm sure you had full ballast, right? It's worse without, of course. In wavy conditions our X can easily bury the nose, so the hatch needs to be very, very closed on crazy days.
MisfitSailers

Post by MisfitSailers »

Starscream wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:05 pm
You mention bobbing around like a cork: I'm sure you had full ballast, right? It's worse without, of course. In wavy conditions our X can easily bury the nose, so the hatch needs to be very, very closed on crazy days.
The ballast was full. Double checked that since I knew the waters were going to be choppy. We will definitely keep the hatch closed on the crazy days, lucky this time I was there. I wouldn't usually hang out in the hatch, but thought I'd have some fun with the kiddo this way out. It really wasn't too awfully bad, some splashing, but it just went to sh~t with the anchor dropping. Fun to OMG real quick.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

MisfitSailers wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm We decided to brave the choppy waters of Galveston Bay this past Sunday
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Oh to be 21 again on Galveston….
That was a good place and time….now long ago…
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Of course Jimmy has something to say about Galveston Bay

2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Glen … more like my speed back in the day 8) 8)

Jimmy …. Not so much :D :D
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Wow! Great story, and told well!

Kudos for your quick and decisive action, braving bodily injury and all that. Hubby is lucky to have such a capable hand on board.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Thanks for sharing. Great story telling. I felt like I was there.

Now it's a great fun memory. Hopefully more to come with fewer bites.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Wow. :| Sorry you had such a rough trip. Generally good to learn stuff, but when accompanied by physical injury, not so much. Hope the hands heal quickly, and glad the family and boat made it through the adventure.

Looking forward to a happier adventure post next time. :wink:
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:wink:
OverEasy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:45 pm Glen … more like my speed back in the day 8) 8)

Jimmy …. Not so much :D :D
chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by chipveres »

My sentimental vote is for Jimmy, although Glenn was the better musician.
Chip V.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I enjoy both styles and both performers, but Glen was by far the better musician. Before going "solo" he was a long-time member of the Wrecking Crew. He was a session musician on a lot of well known hit songs. He even spent one season touring with the Beach Boys replacing Brian Wilson when Brian had to drop out for medical reasons. He is missed.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Enjoyed reading your adventure even if it was short. Hopefully a longer outing next time.
Richard