A Pennsylvania Lake to Dip In?

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Bobglas
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

A Pennsylvania Lake to Dip In?

Post by Bobglas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 pm

We'll be cruising out of Point Lookout Maryland for a week or so in early May. However hauling back to upstate NY I'd like to find a lake close by I-81 where I can dip the boat and trailer in to wash off the salt. Any suggestions? :macm:

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: A Pennsylvania Lake to Dip In?

Post by kmclemore » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Beltzville Lake is your best bet. Most lakes in PA have limits on horsepower such that the Mac's 50+ hp motors can't be used. However, Beltzville has unlimited horsepower and it's not that far from Route 81.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/Find ... fault.aspx

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Excellent! I'm thinking maybe somewhere around there to break the trip in half and do a motel for much needed showers. Thanks.

Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:59 pm

kmclemore wrote:Beltzville Lake is your best bet. Most lakes in PA have limits on horsepower such that the Mac's 50+ hp motors can't be used. However, Beltzville has unlimited horsepower and it's not that far from Route 81.

How strongly do they enforce the HP limit? Do you think a 26M can get by on western PA lakes?
After all, we ARE sailboats, not bass or ski boats. ;)

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:58 am

Y.B.Normal wrote:
kmclemore wrote:Beltzville Lake is your best bet. Most lakes in PA have limits on horsepower such that the Mac's 50+ hp motors can't be used. However, Beltzville has unlimited horsepower and it's not that far from Route 81.

How strongly do they enforce the HP limit? Do you think a 26M can get by on western PA lakes?
After all, we ARE sailboats, not bass or ski boats. ;)
You know, that’s a good question.

I take my Achilles inflatable to Lake Nockamixon and see Mac’s there on the hard. I never looked to see what HP they had on their stern.

I have never taken my :macm: there because I never thought it worth the potential embarrassment and fines to find out how strong the enforcement is. I also never called to find out. I just do not believe I will hear a ranger say that they only post the rules, they don’t enforce them.

Ray

Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm

I did see an X on Pymatuning, Northwest of Pittsburgh a few years ago; it had a 20hp on it.
Part of that lake is in Ohio, part in PA. I don't know if that would make a difference. :cry:
I'll try to check the next time I'm in PA in April.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am

I believe the regulation is that you can have a motor on the boat that's over the HP limit - that's not a violation. Starting it is.

So, yeah, you'll see boats on PA lakes with large HP ratings, but if they start them they're in violation. That's why some have a smaller pony motor in addition to their main motor.

In PA, the lakes that are managed by the federal government (like Beltzville, because of the federal dam there) are governed by federal regulations, not state, so they are exempt from the PA horsepower rules.

Here's a map of all the PA waterways with links to each one detailing any restrictions/regulations pertaining to that body of water. You can use the tools at the bottom to filter the results to exclude those with horsepower restrictions (it's a bit fiddly but can be done).

http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... 3ae1243121

And here's a text-based list of the waterways, if you're challenged by the above...

https://pfbc.pa.gov/spbtregsx.htm

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:55 am

So... I took a few minutes to sort the list, and here are the only lakes in PA that allow a Mac with a 50+ hp motor to run on the lake:

Blue Marsh Lake - Berks County
Beltzville Lake - Carbon County
Foster Joseph Sayers Lake - Centre County
Curwensville Lake - Clearfield County
Conneaut Lake - Crawford County
East Branch Clarion River Lake - Elk County
Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay - Erie County
Youghiogheny River Lake - Fayette & Somerset Counties
Tionesta Lake - Forest County
Lake Raystown - Huntingdon County
Harveys Lake - Luzerne County
Shenango River Lake - Mercer County
Fairview Lake - Pike County
Lake Wallenpaupack - Pike & Wayne Counties
Cowanesque Lake - Tioga County
Hammond Lake - Tioga County
Tioga Lake - Tioga County
Duck Harbor Pond - Wayne County
Long Pond - Wayne County
Conemaugh River Lake - Westmoreland County
Loyalhanna River Lake - Westmoreland County
Lake Winola - Wyoming County

Note that there may be speed restrictions in certain areas of these lakes. See the list I posted in the above posting for more details on each lake. I didn't include rivers, since most rivers allow Mac's (but again, see the list for details on restrictions).