Hurricane Dorian

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Hurricane Dorian

Post by Herschel »

Well, my Admiral and I went up to Monroe Harbor Marina in Sanford Florida (just north of Orlando) on Thursday where we keep American Spirit (26X) and stowed the Bimini, dodger, boom and mainsail. Doubled up all four mooring lines and filled the ballast tank. Wound two of those large rubber covered twisty ties around the furled jib. Put out all six fenders; three to a side, and stowed the tails if halyard and sheet lines through the narrow gap between the cabin hatch cover and the hatch itself. Secured the wheel and double checked the jam cleats for the rudders. Left all blades in the up position. Took pictures if needed for insurance purposes. With this latest projected turn, I think we'll come through this OK, but with a cat 4 headed right for us, I gave myself a 50/50 chance at best. Why not trailer you might ask. Considered it. But, two things kept me from it. One, the only damage I have had from hurricanes was with Charlie in 2004 when I did have the boat at my home on the trailer and a tree fell over it. :x Second, I am right at turning 75 and with a home and yard, RV and pool to prep, get gas for generator, other prep, etc., It just seemed a little more than I had energy for. I started this thread to see if we have any more members out there trying to think themselves through this beast. Radio check, OVER....
WinSome
Engineer

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by WinSome »

So how did your boat survive? And you folks. Ok we hope. I’m sitting in a safe Harbour here in Burlington Ontario ,Canada. Some of us were wondering how and what we’d be doing after such a storm. Best regards from Canada. FYI. Our marina park has 3-4 M26s and a X.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Best wishes 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Thanks for asking. Since Dorian stalled over the beleaguered Bahamas and slowly turned northward, the strongest winds we got at my marina were in the 45-50 range. The only vertical resistance other than the boat itself was the mast. All other items were either stowed below or collapsed and tied down. We went to check on the boat afterwards and there was absolutely no damage. So, that makes my Mac a survivor of Charlie, Francis and Jeanne (2004), Wilma (2005), Matthew (2016), Irma (2017), and now Dorian (2019). We sort of have it down to a science as long as it stays in the cat 1 level. But, I have to tell you, when Dorian was headed our way and looking like a cat 4 or 5, I thought the boat and a whole bunch else was really in danger. So, we are recovering from a spell of ADD (anticipating Dorian disorder). :P