Opinions on Idasailor rudders for 26X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Rob S
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 25

Opinions on Idasailor rudders for 26X

Post by Rob S »

I'm interested in opinions on the Idasailor performance rudders specifically for the 26X. I've searched the forum and there is past info on 26M mods and Delevi's extra big pair (of rudders!) but I can't find anyone's comments on those for the 26X.

Any 26X owners that have bought this mod care to comment? Were there significant improvements in performance? Do you think it money well spent? The Idasailor site claims, ".......allows your Macgregor to point better, respond more quickly to steering imputs and tack like you didn't think was possible." ........ which are characteristics I'm interested in and I'd also like to improve the tendency to round up in strong gusts. I've already reduced mast rake significantly.

Anyone?.......anyone?.....
ROAD Soldier
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Opinions on Idasailor rudders for 26X

Post by ROAD Soldier »

I have a pair because I bought my boat used and the previos owner had to very big pieces of Aluminum for rudders that were effective but ugly as sin. So I cant compare to the originals because I never had them. The IDA's I have now are very effective and the only complaint I have is that they fit so tight that moving them up I have to pry them loose with my boat hook first. I am currently keeping an eye out for some thin teflon washers I can use to help get rid of that.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

My new IDA rudders are untested as of yet. Wasn't aware of any other sources for replacements & I just trusted opinions from this board.

ROAD - Mine have the same tight fit. I may move to grinding / shaving some material in that area after I try them out a few times.
R Rae
First Officer

Post by R Rae »

I created this mod making it easier for 'the Admiral' to haul up the otherwise very tight rudders.........Works a treat.

BTW the initial question was pertaining to customer satisfaction, etc. I am still a believer that performance has improved overall, but pretty difficult to quantify.

Cheers..R
sailorld

Post by sailorld »

GOOD IDEA! life is LEVERAGE! thnx
rick
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I would be wary of this mod as pictured. From an engineering perspective, you have seriously weakened the rudder structure right at the point of maximum stress, which is just below the exit of the bracket.

On successive trips of the Conch Cruisers in '03, '04 and '05, I saw three Idasailor rudders fail at that exact point: in '03 and '04, both on Mac 26S, and in '05 on a Hunter 260. From what I have read, the early failure problem has since been corrected, and I have never heard of such a failure on a 26X or M. That doesn't alter the fact that this is the worst possible place to drill a hole in the rudder. Idasailor rudders are guaranteed for life and all the above were replaced under warranty, but that mod would almost certainly void the guarantee.

I'll withdraw my objections if you can get Joel from Idasailor to say it's OK.
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

I've created that same sort of leverage advantage, but using a much different mechanism. Browsing in WestMar on day, I found a small, stainless rudder bracket (intended for one of the racing dinghy classes) that perfectly straddles our rudder at that same position. However, the straddle extends 4 inches along the cheeks of the rudder, and it's pinned to the rudder with a thru-bolt, side-to-side. The bracket extends out behind the rudder's trailing edge by another 4 inches, creating the lifting lever.

Kinda hard to describe any better than that, and sorry that I don't have a picture of it, so far. I'll try to remember the camera.
Ivan Awfulitch
First Officer

Post by Ivan Awfulitch »

I installed these on our 2002 this year and the boat points and holds much better. I seem to have less "slip" when reaching, and it controls even better when in the marina. The only problem is they're a bit tight when trying to lift the rudders. I find using the boat pole to give them a boost and they lift right up.
Rob S
Deckhand
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Rob S »

Thanks for the responses, guys. "Points and holds much better," is what I'm looking for. Any more?
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene »

Well, I have an M but the same should hold true when comparing stock to IDA rudders and the difference they make.

Biggest difference I find is rounding up, beam reach or broader, I can keep her holding fast against rounding up much better with the IDA rudders.

I also agree with points mentioned above, pointing higher, overall more control, more responsive.

G