Heavy helm on 2001 26x.

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Kaylee

Heavy helm on 2001 26x.

Post by Kaylee »

Need Help!!! I am brand new to MacGregor sailing. Recently bought a 2001 26x that is equipped with an autopilot. We sailed her twice before having to store for the winter. A fact of life in Alberta Canada. The pressure required to turn the wheel is unreal. The best way to describe it is it is like trying to turn a car with the power steering belt off!! The Macgregor dealer looked at it and said it is not right but does not know what the problem is. As we live on the Canadian prairies he has no experience with the auto pilot. Does anyone know if this is the way an autohelm interferes with regular steering, if for example it is not getting power or if it is not functioning correctly. I have all the switches on but have not checked to see if it is getting power. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the previous owner knows less than me and I know nothing. PS LOve the boat and can't wait for spring to join your fraternity!! Thanking you in advance.
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

What kind and model of autopilot is it?

If it is a Raymarine SportPilot these do add a bit of resistance but my helm still only requires one finger to turn it with the SportPilot in place. If it is a Raymarine ST4000, with the clutch released it should be smooth and easy to turn. With the clutch engaged but the pilot off it will be almost locked in place.

The 2001 26X's with the Detmar rack and pinion steering have had a history of frozen steering cables. Check for corrosion at the transom end of the cable. They have a cheap aluminum nut which corrodes too easily. You could disconnect the cable at the steering arm to determine if the problem is in the steering head / cable or the rudder / motor linkages.
Kaylee

Heavy helm on 26x

Post by Kaylee »

Thankyou to Mr. Dunn for the unbelievably quick advise. The auto helm is a Raymarine and I am trying to find the model. I have a manual but it appears to be for various models and is fairly confusing to a novice. I really appreciate your help and will go to the boat tomorrow to try to find out the model. To give you an example of the problem you say you can turn yours with your finger, with mine it is a pretty good pull with one hand underway and the wife needs two hands and is a pretty good workout by the end of the day!. Will check out the corrosion tip and try to find the model. Once again thankyou for your quick advise.
mike
Captain

Post by mike »

If you do have an ST4000 autopilot, in addition to ensuring that the clutch lever is FULLY disengaged, you'll want to check the clutch adjustment knob. When adjusting this on mine a few weeks ago, I noticed that when too tight, it would cause a lot of resistance to the helm even when disengaged.

--Mike
Kaylee

Heavey Helm on 26x

Post by Kaylee »

Cannot find a model no. anywhere on the equipment however with the manual is a couple of pages of options discussing the St40 wind system, the ST40 Bidata system and the ST40 compass display system. Could I therefore assume the model is a ST40. I haven't had time to diconnect the cables to inspect for corrosion but did disconnect motor and rudder connections and the wheel freed up minimally. Thankyou for your help, and any more advise is appreciated. I will let you know if I stumble on the problem.
dclark
First Officer
Location: Dave Clark - Orange County, CA - 2000 26X Day Tripper

Post by dclark »

It's either the "Wheel Pilot" or the "Sport Pilot". They are viasable very different, so you can take a quick look at West Marine and find out (www.westmarine.com, search for autopilot).

All that aside, it's NOT the reason your steering is stiff.

There are two likly possibilities. The first is less likely but cheap and easy...check where the steering linkage attaches to the motor. It may depend a little on the motor you have, but it should attahced with a bolt that also acts as a sort-of pivot. If that is overtightened, it can add a lot of resistance. Loosen it a bit to solve the problem.

More likly, your stock steering cable has seen better days and it's time for a replacement. The replacment od "choice" is the Teleflex SS141-nn. The nn is the cable length so if you went with a SS141-8, you'd have an 8' cable which is what the factory installed. however others have gone with a longer 9' or 10' cable to make a smoother arc to the transom. The cheapest place I've found for this is at www.surplusunlimited.com. The installation is fairly straight forward. The only difficult part is that you wil probably need to enlarge the hole at the pedestal for the new helm.

Hope that helps.
davidpage

Post by davidpage »

Hello Kaylee

Last I saw my'01 X' was a few weeks ago on Buffalo Lake (just east of Red Deer). It too has stiff steering. Did somebody sell it to you? 8)

This was on the sailnet.com MacGregor list:
Go to amazon.com and search for DETMAR
You'll then see the 10' cable mentioned in the email
the part # is 6325-6300507

I tried to buy it but they won't ship to Canada and amazon.ca doesn't carry it. Odd.

If you can figure out where to get one, let me know. There's a few others here that would also buy one if they could.

David
[email protected]
Kaylee

Post by Kaylee »

Thanks to everyone for their help and valuable advice. ( notice I spelled it
correctly this time!) I took the cable apart as far as I could and could find nothing wrong so in desperation I removed the sportpilot control from the steering column. Now I don't know if it was malfunctioning or what but I will tell you it was 90% of the problem. My steering has freed up substantially. However the cable still has a tendancy to stick when the wheel is turned all the way to port. I checked out your cable tip on amazon David and for the price would be more than willing to change mine. I have a few connections in the states and if I can get it arranged to get cables up here I will let you know. Interesting there are Macs on Buffalo Lake, I'll have to check it out. Thanks again for everbody's help. Perhaps my sportpilot needs repairs.