Why can't the M significantly out sail the X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:32 pm

mtc wrote:Scott,
Is that you in the photo, or one of your kids?
Not me nor me' kids. Just a funny photo I found on the net. During season when Im lurking the boards for tips and tricks I rotate me' avatar frequently so's not to scare the chitluns wi' me' real mug.
mtc wrote:We've got four girls
I learned to sail with a maniacal ex-Viet Nam fighter pilot (F-4 I believe) who drank and sailed like a banshee. To him, the race wasn't run unless we bullied ourselves across the course..
I have three girls and 1 boy. We also squat when evacuating unless its in the great outdoors.

P.S. Dude I believe that you learned to sail from my pops, only his name's Brad. If we didnt rinse the cockpit and have to wrestle the bilge handle, we hadnt been sailing. (Back when bilge pumps were powered by a 3 foot handle)

Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Read Less do more

Post by Divecoz » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:25 pm

No one has ever excelled at any sport just reading about it and btw doing it keeps me, at 54 in great shape.I get up and down those dive ladders gear on or off. Reading is for cold wet rainy and dark the rest of the time get out and do it . . .no pain no gain. I also agree with the fellow who posted NO TV 4 Me .

mtc
Captain
Location: Panama City Beach, Florida 05 M 'Bellaroo' 60hp Merc BF

Put your sailing gloves back on

Post by mtc » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:45 am

Ok, guys - we're getting soft talking about our kids - I have too many, but figured they'd be great at my retirement stage, 'damn, is your dad her again? When is he going to get out of the garage@@??!!' With four girls, I can average a couple of months at their place over the year. . .

Hey! Let's get back to the 'my boat is faster than your boat 'testosterone-deep word smithing here.

Really, on speed, has anyone tried that hull no-scratch tape? I think I won't like it because it will make my m slow like an x (hee hee). Seriously, wouldn't the tape only protect the keel line?

Has anyone with an m made any comments/observations on the oddness of the very tall deck? Im just not sure about the double row of ports. The cabin is so tall that when Im on the deck (remember the one on the trailer in mobile) I was not very comfortable because the stanchions were so low, the deck so high that I felt like Id be pitched right overboard - and the boat was on a trailer!

Anyone changed their stanchions with taller versions? How tall are the stanchions on the stock model?

I really like that the x looks like a sailboat whereas the m kinda reminds me of a double decker in London. By the way, I ordered a blue hull just to aesthetically tone down all that freeboard and apparent windage from the way tall deck.

Not a J30, is she?

michael

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:25 am

If by "hull no-scratch tape" you mean Keel Guard, I'd probably have one if we moved back to Pensacola. There are just so many places where beaching is possible there. Even though the sand there is soft, and probably less abrasive than many places, the keel digs into it with the most force, and it's where the gel coat wears through down to the fiberglass first.

Alternatively, you can anchor stern to the beach with a shore anchor off the stern, which is what we do when down there, but in some places, there isn't a lot of room to do this. We drop the bow anchor on the way in, feeding out rode with tension to keep it fouling the prop, then cut the motor and start tilting it up as the bow rode is cleated and the stern swings around... assuming there's room to do this up near the beach.

Even with the X, I'm not real comfortable up on the deck over the concrete driveway, with the lifelines at below knee height. Definitely, a one hand for yourself, one for the boat situation. OTOH, the forward stanchions may have enough leverage to pull the fender washers through the deck even at their current height, much less a taller one, so going taller probably isn't practical.

--
Moe

mtc
Captain
Location: Panama City Beach, Florida 05 M 'Bellaroo' 60hp Merc BF

Post by mtc » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks, Moe. I was reading the instructions on installing and it seems like something that you place there permanently.

You're right about the driveway and falling - maybe it won't seem so bad in the water.

hmmm. Concussion, drowning. . .

ALX357
Admiral
Location: Nashville TN -- 2000 MacGregor 26X, Mercury two-stroke 50hp

Post by ALX357 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:54 am

the lifelines/stanchions from the cockpit forward are imho only for hanging bumpers from, and for grabbing at once you are ALREADY FALLING off the boat, being so low that you would have to walk around stooped over to use them unless you are somewhat shorter than 5' or built like a 'rangitang.

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:18 pm

the lifelines/stanchions from the cockpit forward are imho only for hanging bumpers from
Don't hang fenders from the lifelines. 1) the lifelines are slippery and the fenders won't stay where you put them fore and aft 2) the lifelines are springy and under load can sag enough to allow the fenders to underride 3) the loads will stretch them thereby compromising their (already admitttedly marginal) usefulness.
and for grabbing at once you are ALREADY FALLING off the boat,
Exactly.

Though I occasionally find them useful for warning me when I'm about to take one too many steps backwards, and as supplements to the cockpit lifelines as drying racks for wet towels and bathing suits.

And BTW, sympathize with the comments on it being really tall standing on the deck, when it's on the trailer. I felt the same way the first couple of times. Psycologically, it's not nearly as bad on the water, both closer and softer when you land.

But interestingly, like many things you get used to it after awhile. The distance to the concrete no longer concerns me. Probably means I'm getting too complacent and am due for a rude reminder.