Yamaha throttle problem

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Sloop John B
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Yamaha throttle problem

Post by Sloop John B » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:53 am

My throttle fails to respond until I have moved it about three or four inches in either direction. My thought is that there is too much slack. Last year I would zoom along at 5500 rpms. This year it is 4900 rpms when I can no longer move the lever forward. I’m going to have to figure out how to take this slack out, I think that will allow me to advance the throttle. I haven’t examined the linkage under the cowl or the linkage inside the pedicel yet. The pedicel is going to be a bear.

Perhaps there’s a mechanic or someone who has encountered this that might give me some advice before I really screw things up.

Sloop

81venture
Captain

Re: Yamaha throttle problem

Post by 81venture » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:10 am

There should be adjustments for the cable under the motor cowl

Sometimes on some control boxes there is also adjustment at the Control box end, but quite often not.

there is supposed to be a few inches between gear and throttle advancement by design though....Fwd and Reverse. The cable adjustment will only give you maybe an inch of adjustment tops

check under the cowel...maybe tighten it up a little and see if it helps....also check the actual throttle linkage that the lever controls....you'll see a combination of linkages to the carbs....there are adjustments there as well....Might be time for a "lync-n-sync"

If your not sure about carb linkages best to not fool with them...you can get out of whack easily....but the control cable you can adjust out, try it, and if not satisfactory put it back where it was....

Dave

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Yamaha throttle problem

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 am

There may be an issue with the cable coming loose somewhere. Easy enough to check, though. Pop the top on the OB and have someone work the throttle while you observe the cable. Not as easy at the control end, though. Start with the easy stuff. If the cable conduit is properly held at the outboard end, but handle movement does not result in cable movement, obviously you need to get into the engine control, or it could be a worn cable that's down to a few wires. But it could be as simple as something loose on the engine side. :D