Two person M mast raising without winch pole?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Flightfollowing
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Two person M mast raising without winch pole?

Post by Flightfollowing »

Cougar and 1st sail, thanks very much, that's what I was looking for, first hand accounts. Now I think I remember reading about someone's mod to separate the mast raising pole into 3 sections....
Or maybe stowing it underneath somewhere? Re-reading Russ's post about under the aft berth maybe?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Flightfollowing wrote:Or maybe stowing it underneath somewhere? Re-reading Russ's post about under the aft berth maybe?
Mine lives in the stern berth, which I only use for storage. My upper block is shackled to the eye strap on the pole, but I suppose I could use a snap shackle or load-rated carabiner to allow easy removal for cleaner stowage. But it just sits down there under a pile of everything until it's needed. It's the X-style MRS, by the way. With 'oversized' bullet blocks (will ball bearings) and 5-part reeving. No winching required. 8)

Flightfollowing
Chief Steward

The M mrp is cumbersome, with a winch handle sticking out of a winch sticking out of the long pole, I'll see if the winch handle removes easily or if I can use thumb scores to remove the winch from the pole.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Flightfollowing wrote:. Do any M owners store their mast raising pole with winch in position on the mast, or just winchless X and S owners?
I forgot about the 4:1 block for the X version of the mast raising pole, which makes using the jib halyard concept more complicated.
If I don't get more suggestions, I will perhaps give the manual method a test this weekend, with the winch as a backup if I have an issue.
M-owner- I trailer/day sail and keep the MRS attached and laying on the deck, with a beach towel bungeed to the winch and top end. Would be afraid to have the winch up for sail reason you mentioned. Have to fiddle with the fore hatch for vent, but usually don't spend any time below so not usually a big deal. It will store under the port bench easily with the galley to the rear, however it takes time to pull it off, stow, and reinstall, so I leave it on deck to save setup time.

I haven't tried putting the rig up or down without it, but have done the deed on the water a few times, and would be hesitant to try it without the MRS. I don't even like to do it underway with the MRS...

After reading, thought I'd better clarify, that would be Mast Raising System...
Flightfollowing
Chief Steward

I'm just going to match label the winch and rod, then put wing nuts on the bolts to make for quick disassembly and easy storage.
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I think the optimal solution when you frequently encounter bridges etc. requiring the lowering of the mast would be to leave the MRS attached vertically to the mast.
I also would make a winch bag to cover the handle assembly.
To reduce swing in the lowered positon I would rig the baby stays like a preventer where I could control tension. You could also rig a second preventer that shackled temporarily to the forestay hound to settle the upper part of the mast at the stern when you did a partial lowering. Otherwise call the bridge tender if possible and sip a cool one.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I've never owned the MRS and now have two 18 year olds to raise the mast

It's not a bad lift if you take time to make sure everything is clear before you lift.

:D :D :D
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I find the Mrs easy to use and step the mast while the boats in the water. I store the pole and winch at the very back of the boat crosswise up ageist the deck liner.
Takes no space and is fairly easy to get to. Note I only trailer a few times a year.
Ix
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

Just did a 9 day trip and left the winch attached the whole time we were out there (had to half lower the mast 4 times for bridges). It was the first time I'v done it, but have to say, it worked just fine and wasn't in the way other than having to step around the wires to anchor as you see at the end of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R2ryBX5iXo
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Mine lives in the starboard aft also. Not hard to use - does take some preparation. 8)
Tomfoolery wrote:
Flightfollowing wrote:Or maybe stowing it underneath somewhere? Re-reading Russ's post about under the aft berth maybe?
Mine lives in the stern berth, which I only use for storage. My upper block is shackled to the eye strap on the pole, but I suppose I could use a snap shackle or load-rated carabiner to allow easy removal for cleaner stowage. But it just sits down there under a pile of everything until it's needed. It's the X-style MRS, by the way. With 'oversized' bullet blocks (will ball bearings) and 5-part reeving. No winching required. 8)
Last edited by dlandersson on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
wbpenney
Chief Steward
Location: Cary, NC - 'Boom Boom ll' 08 26M 90HP E-TEC http://boomboom2.blogspot.com/

Post by wbpenney »

My MRS was connected to the boat the day we bought it in 2008 and has never been removed. Just disconnect the baby stays and hook them to the bottom of the pole when not in use. Winch handle has never been an issue. We made a padded cover for the winch to keep the weather out and we just tighten it up lightly against the mast. No problems with the mast rotating.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Hi,
I have been raising and lowering my Mac X mast with and without furler for over 10 years. I am 67 years old. I tried the mast raising system about 5 years ago a couple of times. It worked well, but I stored it in my garage until I need it later in life. It is much quicker and simpler to do it by brute force if you are able. Google "raising Mac X mast by hand" and my video will be listed near the top.
Some tips:
- Keep hatch fully closed and clear of all lines except the line from fore sail halyard looped thru the front pulpit support and back to foot of mast to cleat off when you have mast raised.
- If there is any breeze at all, turn the boat from the wind. On the water, a stiff breeze will actually help if you anchor from a stern cleat. With any wind on the bow, the added weight of the wind force against the mast will make the job impossible!
- Good non-slip shoes or barefoot. No sandals!
- Keep up your gym membership!

Opie
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Beware that a slip or trip can cause serious damage to the mast or boat and also serious injury to body including possibility of death. You will be bench pressing about 140# so ability to bench press about 170# is the cutoff for even trying to do this.
81venture
Captain

Post by 81venture »

RussMT wrote:You could simply leave the pole attached and strap it to the front of the mast like how Sumner does it.

Storing it under the aft berth is another option.

The pole isn't necessary to raise the mast, but I wouldn't want to do it without.

--Russ

I do this when i do NOT have the sails up. However I did put sails up and found it kept hanging up on the winch and getting tangled. If I leave it attached and down then I can't open the forward hatch.

My thought was to lash it to the side stanchions on the port side. I also do not want it below (space) and do sometimes have to dip bridges

Sum, do you have problems with the foresail catching on the winch assembly?