Raising mast with furler attached + MRS

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
blues midnight
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Raising mast with furler attached + MRS

Post by blues midnight »

Been having difficulty raising the mast with furling Genoa using the MRS. Mast would swing sideways so much I would have to hold the rope to try and keep it centered. Seems very heavy with furling foresail attached and I keep trying to place the Genoa on one side or the other to see how it affects it. The baby stays seemed very loose.

After ordering and installing new MRS lines from BWY, the mast goes up a bit easier now, but baby stays are still a bit loose it seems and mast goes up/down always to one side 'cuz of the furler weight with one of the stays taut and other loose.

Any suggestions on how to keep the mast centered? Would it be safe to shorten the baby stays by attaching them directly to the forward MRS line shackle instead of the line bow knot loop?
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Raising mast with furler attached + MRS

Post by Jimmyt »

Been wrestling this one myself. Tightened the baby stays and attached them to the mast on my M, only to find that the stanchion attachment points are not at the center of rotation of the mast. It was better, but not good enough to make me happy. So, now I'm faced with coming up with new stay attachment points or figuring some other approach to positively controlling the mast during raising and lowering.

Let us know what you come up with. I'll do the same. Right now, have a lot going on, so I haven't had a chance to dig in further.
Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

I recommend to raise the mast with the wind strait from the bow (or stern, if the launch-location does not allow to move the boat into the wind).
I put the furler over my shoulder to start and lift/slide it forward as the mast raises. This works best for me. :)

Obelix
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

I ended up shortening the baby stays and putting a turn-buckle at the mast end so I could adjust them up tight before raising. This was needed with my Alado furler as it's foil is aluminium and not so flexible :(
FlyboyTR
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by FlyboyTR »

Our furler was like a large loose snake creating all sorts of problems. I estimated how far up the mast I could reach to release a ball bungee...and at that point I put a bungee around the mast and furler/genoa...with it on the top or forward (depending on whether you talking it laying down or standing up. While you still have to get the weight up, that help a lot. I am using 3/16" high strength line (the same stuff that saved by bacon when the pin broke) for my baby stays. Once I have the bottom of the mast bolted in place, I pull the stays as tight as possible and cleat them off. There is still just enough give to keep from tearing things up, yet the mast goes up straight.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

This is my alignment issue. About 1-1/2" vertical and about 3/4" fore and aft.

[img=http://s6.postimg.org/px76r6z4h/image.jpg]

[img=http://s6.postimg.org/3wquakggh/image.jpg]

So, no matter how tight I get the stays, they loosen up as the mast comes up. I have the same issue with the furler going wild on the deck as others mention.

However, it's way better than it was when the stays were tied to the M.R.S. lines.
blues midnight
Just Enlisted

Post by blues midnight »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Some pretty ingenious methods here, wow! I will try to shorten the stays a bit and see if it helps to start.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I saw where somebody used ratchet straps as baby stays. I tried it while I was experimenting before I realized I had a geometry problem. I guess you could tighten up a click as it starts to loosen if you have the same issue I have. Good luck.
stuendan
Chief Steward

Post by stuendan »

To control the furled foresail, try clipping the furler spool to the line at the top of the MRS that goes back to the bow cleats with a S/S carabiner? clip (or two). The furler then will slide down this line as the mast is raised, and end up on the deck near the bow. works fine on the way up too.

As mentioned earlier, it is best to park the boat/trailer aligned into the wind (or as close as you can get it). Even so, on the way up, I often still find it necessary to staighten up the mast by pushing on the line going to the mast then pulling on a few more turns at the winch.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Great idea! Thanks. Will try that next time out.
Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe »

This is what I did to help me with my single hand mast raising I can lock the guide ropes move the fuller release any thing that gets hung up, like having a extra set of hands.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Are those lines bracing your MRS pole? Just want to make sure I don't miss your point.

Bracing the MRS pole came up awhile back when NiceAft had a mast raising system failure (one day out of fourteen...). I believe Highlander uses baby stays both to brace the MRS pole and to steady the mast.
Last edited by Jimmyt on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe »

Jimmyt wrote:Are those lines bracing your MRS?
ine came with what I would say are guide stays you can hold the lines as you bring up the mast from going side to side. the cam locks allow me to lock the stays at any point .
Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe »

I may have to get some more photos for it to be fully understood this is my first sail boat and they may nor all be out fitted the same.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks. If those stays are guiding the mast up, I'd like to see how you rigged it.