Putting the line on the centre board in a 26X

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Davey
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Putting the line on the centre board in a 26X

Post by Davey » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:20 pm

I am a brand new owner of a used 26X. I am a relatively novice sailor especially with a boat this big. When I bought the boat the line was not attached to the centre board to raise and lower it. I cannot get a clear sense from the manual of how to attach it. It is on the trailer. Can I rig it on dry land with it on the trailer. How do I accomplish such a task. Where does the cable go when it comes out of the top of the tube by the mast?? Help please and make your instruction suitable for a novice. Looking forward to living a dream in retirement and getting on the water.

Davey

sailboatmike
Admiral

Re: Putting the line on the centre board in a 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Download the user manual from the resources section of the forum, it will show you how it all works

March
Captain

Post by March » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:02 am

With the boat on the trailer, remove the centerboard's bolt from the inside--access it by removing the front seat cover, starboard side. Tap the shaft gently with a wooden mallet (Keep the nut in place, half-screwed, so that you won't flatten the grooves). The shaft is connected to a fork-like support that carries the board. Slide the board out from under the trailer. You will see the place where it attaches to the board's line. It's probably broken there

Insert a line through the hole behind the mast. Attach it to the board and reverse the procedure for re-mounting it. No big deal.

You might want to use a plastic-coated, stranded wire between the board and the top of the mast, for a more secure setting. Attach a rope to the end of the wire, so that it's easier to pull and cleat. With the board in a down position (only on water, it won't go all the way down on the trailer) make a knot on the rope where it cleats, so you'll know when the board is fully deployed

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:24 am

Later X's didn't use the wire. Mine had just 5/16" braid. And that's what I replaced it with, since I didn't know the condition of it, though it turns out it was actually in very good shape. Just a line with a stopper knot in the end after passing through the hole in the CB.

And you'll make the job a lot easier for yourself if you block up under the CB with wood blocking on both ends. Unless you have help. Which I normally don't. :|

Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:34 am

This guy in our club Facebook group just did his on a travelift. Pictures may help you

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... 0&refid=13

fouz
First Officer

Post by fouz » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 pm

I have yet to replace mine like Davey aswell. I dont have the boat on the factory trailer any more so doing it on trailer is no go. The new trailer has two bunks under the centerboard and cant be removed. I do still have the factory trailer so i could swap it to old and then replace the line and then swap i back to new trailer. But i think im going to try to do it on the water.

The plan anyways is to lower the centerboard to the full down. Remove old line. Feed new line down the support post. Swim down and feed new line thru the hole in board. Have some extra in the line so i can tie the knot at the waterline. Pull line back up and finish the top. I cant see why this shouldn't take like 5 mins but thought i would throw the plan out there before try this on the water. any objections?

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:21 pm

fouz wrote:I have yet to replace mine like Davey aswell. I dont have the boat on the factory trailer any more so doing it on trailer is no go. The new trailer has two bunks under the centerboard and cant be removed. I do still have the factory trailer so i could swap it to old and then replace the line and then swap i back to new trailer. But i think im going to try to do it on the water.

The plan anyways is to lower the centerboard to the full down. Remove old line. Feed new line down the support post. Swim down and feed new line thru the hole in board. Have some extra in the line so i can tie the knot at the waterline. Pull line back up and finish the top. I cant see why this shouldn't take like 5 mins but thought i would throw the plan out there before try this on the water. any objections?
This is my plan too. I am going to attach the new line to the old one with some electrical tape so that it pulls the old line down through the boat and through the hole in the centerboard. I had a couple of good suggestions from a Mac buddy: bring a pair of pliers down to grip the knot with to loosen it from the centerboard, and a weight belt to allow some working time while down there. It would take at least two good dives: one to get the old knot off the board and one to get the new line through the centerboard hole. I think a good wrap of electrical tape should do since it looks like a straight shot down the hole.

I actually had the X out on the lake a week or so ago to do this operation but with the wave action the board was hitting the sand where we had anchored. So I put off the task and did some swimming instead!

I will say one thing: once you get your boat parked somewhere and you put on the goggles and have a look, it's a lot more daunting in real life than when you are planning things. Talking about diving down on the board is one thing, doing it is a whole different ball game.