All purpose asymmetric spinnaker

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Wanderer63
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

All purpose asymmetric spinnaker

Post by Wanderer63 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:31 am

Having recently purchased a good condition 26M I am considering buying the spinnaker in the subject header from a local loft that has a good reputation for making spinnakers to order. Size proposed is 27 square meters and the cut is tri-radial. The depth is flatter than the standard Macgregor sail which will better suit our local prevailing winds. While I think I have the technical side sorted, I would like some views from fellow forum members on the addition of a spinnaker to the sail wardrobe and for those of you who have, whether it has raised the level of enjoyment you have derived from your boats. While I have sailed a lot of boats with spinnakers none of them have been water ballasted so any experience on how the Macgregor's handle under spinnaker would also be appreciated.

kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Re: All purpose asymmetric spinnaker

Post by kadet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 am

Adding a bowsprit and a whisker/spin pole really adds to the enjoyment of the asym. I find it is my favorite sail under 10knts of wind speed 8)

https://goo.gl/photos/ThsLbLBRaLCxwErt6

https://goo.gl/photos/ocPWEc2UEQzPGNHT7
Last edited by kadet on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 am

I rarely use my spinnaker because it's a pain to hoist and douse alone (I single-hand mostly). I have a sock, but it's not long enough; perhaps longer, with lines run aft to the cockpit might help.

But it's fun to fly when I do. 8)

Me and beene.

Wanderer63

Post by Wanderer63 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:36 am

Hi Kadet
Is the bowsprit you added one you got from Mac or is your own design, has that increased the sail size you use or simply made it easier to fly and gybe?

Wanderer63

Post by Wanderer63 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:48 am

Thanks Tomfoolery. I Think with the type of sailing we are planning it is likely going to be a hoist and set for a decent leg. We will mostly be sailing with at least two on board so I can see myself clambering around to do the setup and hoist then set / play the sheet. We are taking the boat for a first sail on the weekend having only raised the mast for the first time last weekend in blustery cold conditions. Forecast is looking better for this weekend so an opportunity to try out the main and jib and see how it goes.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:55 am

Wanderer63 wrote:Thanks Tomfoolery. I Think with the type of sailing we are planning it is likely going to be a hoist and set for a decent leg. We will mostly be sailing with at least two on board so I can see myself clambering around to do the setup and hoist then set / play the sheet.
That's me (wearing an auto-inflate PFD). Clambering around to do the setup and hoist. The admiral is at the wheel. No autohelm. And you can see how much spin is exposed under the sock - makes for fun in a little wind. :P

If you don't have it already, add a second hound about 1-1/2 ft above the forestay hound, and run a dedicated spinnaker halyard off that. I keep mine tied to the bow rail when not in use. It does double-duty as my mast raising line, and I've taken the jib halyard and block off, as it serves no purpose now (FFII furler). I also have a tack line that runs back to the cockpit, to make adjustments on that end easier.

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Wanderer63 wrote:Hi Kadet
Is the bowsprit you added one you got from Mac or is your own design, has that increased the sail size you use or simply made it easier to fly and gybe?
My own design after some experimenting originally it was about 1 metre and tied down to the tow strap, but rigging and it's length at the dock was a problem so I cut it back to about 1/2 a metre. It is just a piece of 30mm stainless steel pipe cut drilled and bolted to the old anchor roller. I had to put on a new roller for the big anchor so everything in the bow got reinforced with fibreglass and ply backing plates.

I am not sure if sail is bigger than standard it was made by a local loft after giving them measurements of the boat. I did the bowsprit for ease of handling and sheeting angles as the asym is on a flying top down furler. It makes hoisting and gybing way easier with less chance of a tangle.

Sorry only pic I have of furler is on the old long bowsprit :P

https://goo.gl/photos/1MrGsf9EfFMZ9PQb9
Last edited by kadet on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Tom, is that the standard rule for a second masthound height using the existing bow attachment point for a spinnaker? Would you alter that if a bowsprit was involved? I'd like to retain the option of a smaller jib flying in front of the genoa when not choosing to use the spinnaker (which I don't have yet!). Sorta like Highlander but much smaller.
MMOR this year?

R.

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Crikey wrote:Tom, is that the standard rule for a second masthound height using the existing bow attachment point for a spinnaker? Would you alter that if a bowsprit was involved? I'd like to retain the option of a smaller jib flying in front of the genoa when not choosing to use the spinnaker (which I don't have yet!). Sorta like Highlander but much smaller.
MMOR this year?

R.
Sort of, it doesn't matter where the tack goes but because we have fraction rigs you cannot go to high above the side stays as the top of the mast is unsupported. Might be less on an issue on an :macx: with a backstay but on an :macm: you are relying solely on the mast stock.

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:24 pm

kadet wrote:
Crikey wrote:Tom, is that the standard rule for a second masthound height using the existing bow attachment point for a spinnaker? Would you alter that if a bowsprit was involved? I'd like to retain the option of a smaller jib flying in front of the genoa when not choosing to use the spinnaker (which I don't have yet!). Sorta like Highlander but much smaller.
MMOR this year?

R.
Sort of, it doesn't matter where the tack goes but because we have fraction rigs you cannot go to high above the side stays as the top of the mast is unsupported. Might be less on an issue on an :macx: with a backstay but on an :macm: you are relying solely on the mast stock.
That makes sense Kadet. I guess either way things are going to hold back the :macm: mast rotation over stock. Maybe some assisted rotation might be called for?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm

I don't know if there's a rule, but mine's 18" higher, and that seems to leave adequate room above the bow rail. My boat came with a short SS pendant, which I assumed was to raise the tack up a bit, but it has a broken wire, so I ran a tack line to the cockpit for convenience.

I don't think you'd have to change the location of the hound if using a bow sprit; Maybe just don't raise the spinnaker quite as high. Or raise it so you can see under it better.
Crikey wrote:MMOR this year?
Planning on it. Even ordered colorful money from the bank. Having some trouble with a job site accident, which means I'm going to NYC at the end of the week, but I should be able to haul and prep the boat for a Monday road trip.

kadet
Admiral

Post by kadet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:37 pm

I guess either way things are going to hold back the :macm: mast rotation over stock.
Not really as the mainsail is what causes the rotation not the headsails. It might be a bit more difficult in light winds cause of the extra weight on the mast but if the wind is that light rotation ain't going to help much anyway cause there will not be that much turbulence from the mast anyway :P

Crikey
Admiral

Post by Crikey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks for the response guys!

R. :)