Rigging the anchor - when? (No anchor locker)

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
mdbrown
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Rigging the anchor - when? (No anchor locker)

Post by mdbrown »

I have a 26s with a danforth anchor always attached to the bow pulpit. There is only a couple feet of chain (not ideal) but then the rope runs back along the starboard railing to a deck pipe taking the line down into the lazarette. Works like a charm...go forward and release the anchor, let out the line, set the anchor with the motor (if needed) then walk back up and tie the rope off.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

vizwhiz wrote:Right! Excellent advice, and heeded... 8)
Now in your preparation before heading out, WHEN do you attach all the parts together and fool with the seizing wire? Or do you never take them apart?

Anchor - shackle w siezing - chain
Chain - shackle w siezing - nylon rode
The answer to that specific question is - they're never not attached. But I have an anchor locker for my Fortress, chain, and rode.

My spare ground tackle system is also fully assembled with claw anchor, chain, and nylon rode, lock-wired shackles and all, and is stored in a locker below decks, ready to go on a moment's notice.

Aside from being a lunch hook, it's also the boat's only 'emergency brake', as if something bad happens and I need to stop (before drifting onto rocks, or into other boats, for instance), I don't want to waste minutes when seconds count. :wink:

If your boat has a lazarette, that's where I'd store the anchor, unless you set up a bow system, with rode in a bag. Either way, ready to go.
Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Curwen »

I have a 26s with a danforth anchor always attached to the bow pulpit. There is only a couple feet of chain (not ideal) but then the rope runs back along the starboard railing to a deck pipe taking the line down into the lazarette. Works like a charm...go forward and release the anchor, let out the line, set the anchor with the motor (if needed) then walk back up and tie the rope off.
How are you running the lines? This might be a great solution for those of us without a rode locker. Pictures?
mdbrown
Deckhand

Post by mdbrown »

I do have pictures! I was out sailing yesterday and took some random shots and they show what you're looking for.

A previous owner did the setup. The line runs along the outside of the stancions, and there is no tension ever on the line except when it is playing out or I'm pulling the anchor up. You still cleat the line off at the bow. The line is the brownish white running outside the safety lines. I don't have a picture of the deck pipe - it is in the starboard stern corner, right abeam where the lazarette opens.

Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen »

Love it!

And the pics answered another question I have had about the gray things (still a newb on some sailing terms, I'd love to know the term for them) on my cabin roof. I see blocks anchored on them and to me it looks like they are used to run the halyards to the cockpit. What are you using to a attach the blocks to the gray things?

If your lines are run to the cockpit, how do you load your sail in your mast until you are ready to hoist? My main uses a cord in the front edge of the sail to slide into the mast. I believe I could pre-load the main in the sail track, use a sail slug to keep it from sliding out, use bungies to keep it from flopping all over the place and then use the halyard run to the cockpit to raise the main.

Something to think about on the drive home from work.

Thanks for the pics.

Curwen
paul I
First Officer
Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Post by paul I »

Curwen wrote:Love it!

And the pics answered another question I have had about the gray things (still a newb on some sailing terms, I'd love to know the term for them) on my cabin roof. I see blocks anchored on them and to me it looks like they are used to run the halyards to the cockpit. What are you using to a attach the blocks to the gray things?
I'm not positive which "grey things" you are looking at, but I suspect you are speaking about the fairleads. Those small fittings with a circle in the middle, mounted with two screws. You don't normally attach anything to them. You run a line through them. They guide the lines and can change a line's angle. They keep lines in place and allow them to move with a minimum of friction.
mdbrown
Deckhand

Post by mdbrown »

Paul is correct, you don't normally attach a block to them. I just happened to need a block at that point and that is what I've got available for now. I'm just using a small loop of rope to connect a block to a fairlead. Without the block, I'm pulling the main halyard at an angle into the spinlock rope lock. That doesn't work good at all - it expects the rope to come straight in. Otherwise you have to fight the friction from the rope rubbing on the side of the pop-top and the side of the spinlock.

Your idea of how to raise main is exactly what I do. The main stays on the boom, wrapped with three bungess, with a sail cover on until I'm ready to depart. Then I take the sail cover off and stow it below. When I'm ready to raise the main, I head into the wind, loosen the mainsheet, go forward and remove the three bungees, go back to the cockpit and pull on the main halyard through the spinlock. To get the last foot or so, I have to use the winch. Head off on a tack, trim the main, kill the motor, tilt the motor and we're on our way.

MB
Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen »

So which lines should be run through the fairleads?

I don't have anything running through mine and I assumed they are there for a purpose, I just don't know which lines should be run through there.

Thanks,

Curwen
grady
Captain

Post by grady »

Curwen wrote:So which lines should be run through the fairleads?

I don't have anything running through mine and I assumed they are there for a purpose, I just don't know which lines should be run through there.

Thanks,

Curwen
Fwd fairleads are for the 100% jib. Aft fairleads are for a 130% Genoa.
Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen »

Grady,

I'd been running the jib and genoa lines outside my safety lines and putting them in my aft fairleads, the ones on the track.

Is this ok, or is there a performance/safety/other reason to put the jib through the forward fairleads. I think that could allow for a lot more clew adjustment on the jib allowing better performance.

Sorry for so many questions about this, but I'm a isolated Mac sailor who doesn't have an example to follow. I guessed a lot and some guesses were better than others. I'd to see a properly rigged 26D as we are a dwindling breed.

Thanks,

Curwen
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Since the clew or the working jib barely passes the mast when straight back, sheeting it way back at the genoa fairleads will put a greater proportion of the rope's load in the horizontal direction, and relatively little in the vertical direction. That will allow the sail to twist (a lot), spilling air off the top and depowering it. The reason the fairlead sheaves are on cars that adjust fore and aft is so you can control that twist. Forward, like stepping on a gas pedal, to reduce twist and power it up, and back, like getting off the gas, to reduce the angle (from horizontal) to allow more twist.

You also can't sheet it in (toward the centerline of the boat) as much, so you won't be able to point as high as with the proper fairleads. Some boats actually use another adjustment called a Barber Hauler to pull the clew toward the boat's centerline tighter than with the fairlead alone, or to pull it downward for less twist when sheeted farther out.

You should be using the jib fairleads with the jib, with the sheets run inside the shrouds.
Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen »

Thank you and will do!

I appreciate the info.

Ya'll make it to Salt Lake City, pizza on me.

Curwen
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I thought the "Barber Haul" was generally used on spinnaker sheets to tweek the clew vertically and slightly inboard

But doing some research I see that some use them on jibs as well

http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/barber-haulers