Great Lakes water level

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Great Lakes water level

Post by dlandersson »

Federal officials predict extremely high water this spring and summer, a continuation of the last two years of levels above long-term averages. That will mean a higher water line on all Great Lakes beaches, a key issue for the region's lakeside residents — proven by the nearly 80 people who crammed into a standing-room only space to learn more at Northwestern Michigan College's Great Lakes Campus.

High enough water levels are expected to break records — set in the early 1950s and the mid-1980s — on Lakes Superior, St. Clair and Erie, and rise on Lakes Michigan, Huron and Ontario.

Mark Breederland already saw extremely high water levels in Lake Michigan this spring. The extension educator for Michigan Sea Grant's northwest district said statistics show a rise of 1.29 feet since Fedruary.

https://www.record-eagle.com/news/local ... e1bc6.html
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Great Lakes water level

Post by dlandersson »

18 June 2019 Chicago Tribune

Lake Michagan water highest since 1986.

Water levels on all Great Lakes are reaching record highs - The Army Corps of Eng. records go back to 1918.
dlandersson wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm Federal officials predict extremely high water this spring and summer, a continuation of the last two years of levels above long-term averages. That will mean a higher water line on all Great Lakes beaches, a key issue for the region's lakeside residents — proven by the nearly 80 people who crammed into a standing-room only space to learn more at Northwestern Michigan College's Great Lakes Campus.

High enough water levels are expected to break records — set in the early 1950s and the mid-1980s — on Lakes Superior, St. Clair and Erie, and rise on Lakes Michigan, Huron and Ontario.

Mark Breederland already saw extremely high water levels in Lake Michigan this spring. The extension educator for Michigan Sea Grant's northwest district said statistics show a rise of 1.29 feet since Fedruary.

JCPH3
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by JCPH3 »

I can attest, Our slip in Lake Erie is at least 3 ft up from last year.
On the plus side I can float my :macm: right up to the grass and pin the furler while standing rather than hanging off the bow and performing the feat upside down! 8)
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

My humble lake in south central nebraska has filled to the point that boating is not possible. I never anticipated this, in a region where water is so precious and rare.

The reservoir is 30% into the flood pool, and rising. We had to take our boat out (probably for the year) last night, because our marina could no longer secure the floating pier system to the lake bed. The boat ramps have all disappeared. Jetties normally 15 feet above water level are now under water. And the system downstream doesn't have capacity for taking more water, so the corps of engineers can't empty water right now.

I can't believe it's july and we're done sailing. Perhaps something will materialize.

--john
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene »

Its really bad this year

Many marinas are closed and others have no power or water at the slips

This season will be rough on many

I'm lucky at my marina as everything floats and the office is well above water level

We've seen many this year that are under water :cry:

G
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

And the latest ...

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/co ... 75911.html

Michigan City marina is chock full - boat owners from other, ssorta local marian's have relocatred here, their fixed slips are awash, power has been shut down. :|
dlandersson wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 pm Federal officials predict extremely high water this spring and summer, a continuation of the last two years of levels above long-term averages. That will mean a higher water line on all Great Lakes beaches, a key issue for the region's lakeside residents — proven by the nearly 80 people who crammed into a standing-room only space to learn more at Northwestern Michigan College's Great Lakes Campus.