Roller Furler / Sail Question

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Roller Furler / Sail Question

Post by macowneril2015 »

So I have not been able to sail due to rigging issues and time constraints. I am now determined to make it happen. I have a furler that I rebuilt and I have a sail bag for a RF Jib and RF Genoa and then a new sail that I don't know what it is. I know for sure it is not the main sail as I have that and it has battens, I am asking if there is an easy way to tell what type of sail is it. Next question is I have a canvas cover for the mainsail so is it okay to leave the sail on that as I leave my boat in the slip for the summer months or should I fold it up if I wont be using it for periods. This question follows the last but with regards to the furler, whatever sail I put on do I need to order a sunbrella cover if I intend to leave it on there as they appear to be the original sails (the boat was lightly used and left in storage unused for 15 years) that lack UV protection. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I finally am in the final stages of restoration.
WinSome
Engineer

Re: Roller Furler / Sail Question

Post by WinSome »

Sounds like you have an interesting find! And a bit of research to do.
Identify what sails you have. Might that new one be a spinnaker? Material would be much lighter! Measurements would help.
I’ll assume you’ll want the Genoa on the furler. (My original jib sits in the bag).
Sail protection is worth it! Plan to add that protection!

Re: leaving main covered. I’m from Ontario,Canada , and can’t imagine leaving the boat unused to long periods. Discuss with someone local.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Leaving the main on the boom all summer is not a problem, if you have it wrapped in a good sail cover. The one in the photo is Sunbrella.

You will notice that the furled Genoa has no protection, that was a mistake. My new Genoa is protected.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Lay the unidentified sail on a floor or driveway (carefully) and measure the luff, foot, and leach lengths and put them up here.

But if it's really really thin nylon or other synthetic, and big, and (usually) colorful, it's a spinnaker. Probably asymmetric, which can be flown solo, especially if it has a sock.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
macowneril2015
Engineer
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Post by macowneril2015 »

Tomfoolery wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:49 am Lay the unidentified sail on a floor or driveway (carefully) and measure the luff, foot, and leach lengths and put them up here.

But if it's really really thin nylon or other synthetic, and big, and (usually) colorful, it's a spinnaker. Probably asymmetric, which can be flown solo, especially if it has a sock.
I was able to identify that it is a brand new Genoa do to writing on the luff/ feed area. I asked a local sailor who noted that it lacks a sun protection side. I am going to see if I can get Doyle Sails to add one on since they are a short drive from me. One final question is since I had to replace the furler luff, anyone have any input on replacing the internal halyard, seems like its going to be a battle.