Anchor rode damaging bow running light

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

opie
Captain

Anchor rode damaging bow running light

Post by opie » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:07 am

Any advice on preventing the "wandering at anchor" syndrom from sliding the rode against the bow light and damaging it?
I do not want to install an anchor roller. I do hook my rode through the bow eye when I settle down for extended times. But when throwing out the anchor in any wind, the rode slides over the top deck of bow and pushes against the light, eventually decapitating it from boat.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Anchor rode damaging bow running light

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:45 am

What are you tying it off to? My bow cleats are wide enough that the anchor of mooring line never touch the light.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 am

I had the same issue. I bought a couple bow chocks and lead the rode through one side or the other, and it stays. I've started adding short line to the rode, about 10 feet from the bow, and leading it back through the other chock. This keeps the boat centered, cuts down on anchor sway, and spreads the load.

Most importantly, it lets me practice my rolling hitch.

--john

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:56 pm

Is there a reason for not wanting to instal an anchor roller? It does make it easier to drop and retrieve an anchor. Especially when the anchor chain comes out of the water.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 am

NiceAft wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:56 pm
Is there a reason for not wanting to instal an anchor roller? It does make it easier to drop and retrieve an anchor. Especially when the anchor chain comes out of the water.
One bow roller, specifically designed for the :macx: . Has an elevated mount for the bi-color light, too.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4001-1x0.htm

I know, I know - the OP doesn't want a roller, but someone else wandering in here might find it useful. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 am

I know, I know, OP did not want a roller, but now I do! I want the one that BWY is offering....... First, I hope I can find more pictures and a couple reviews... And how to rewire light.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:37 am

opie wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:58 am
I know, I know, OP did not want a roller, but now I do!
Several members here have that roller. Maybe search on the mods? Or just on the threads.

I almost pulled the trigger several times on that roller, or 'suggested' it as a birthday gift, but ended up with something else that I wanted for the boat instead. Just never landed on that spot on the wheel of fortune. Not yet, at least. :)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 pm

It's a nice bow roller, and looks fairly straightforward to install. Just be aware though, that it's mainly designed to provide a pulley for the anchor rode, and isn't intended for exterior bow anchor storage. It's too short for holding anchors such as the Rochna, and maybe not the Bruce either.