Wx forecasts

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Wx forecasts

Post by Interim »

We sail an inland lake (in the Great Plains of the U.S.). Wind forecasts are little better than a flip of the coin, I would guess because of the way systems race across the landscape. We could get a forecast of 5mph, and at the lake it is 15mph and gusts to 25. Or we could have a forecast of 10mph, only to find ourselves becalmed for an hour in the middle of the lake. We use NOAA's hourly forecast, sailflow, and weather.com.

Do you have similar issues? Or is that just a local feature I get to enjoy?

Our maxim has become "If you want to sail, just go to the lake and see what the weather is."

--john
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Wx forecasts

Post by Jimmyt »

My Father-In-Law called meteorologists "weather guessers". Often times, it seems he was spot-on in his assessment. As an engineer and computer modeler of indoor building climates, including fire and smoke modeling, I have a small appreciation for the daunting task of modeling weather. They get better every year, but it's not as accurate as we would always like. Usually it's ok here. Basically good for an indication of "some wind" vs "no wind". Some wind could mean 5-35 knots. Here is the Windy prediction vs the Dauphin Island Observations for our last trip. Not too bad considering...

The middle bay light station was off line. It would have been closer to our prediction point, but Dauphin Island should be fairly close.

I absolutely agree with you! If the weather doesn't look awful, and they aren't predicting thunderstorms, go for it!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I absolutely agree with you! If the weather doesn't look awful, and they aren't predicting thunderstorms, go for it!
The trouble I have is when I am in the Adirondacks, sailing Lake George (32 miles long [51.4. K]), the surrounding mountains make it difficult to see a storm sneaking up on a boater. That’s when power on the stern can get one out of a situation.
Ray ~~_/)~~
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

I use Predict Wind and USAirNet ( local wind forecasts for airports).
Predictwind.com
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/ ... I&state=IL
select your region by state and location by nearest city if applicable.

I still on the fence between the Sailtimerwind and Openwind wind systems. Sailtimerwind.com or Openwind.de
:macm:
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

NiceAft wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 am
The trouble I have is when I am in the Adirondacks, sailing Lake George (32 miles long [51.4. K]), the surrounding mountains make it difficult to see a storm sneaking up on a boater. That’s when power on the stern can get one out of a situation.
Storms come up very quickly here on upper Lake Champlain, too, Ray. We live on a point in the middle of the lake, however, so we tend to see them coming a log way off - not true of those living in bays.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Inland forecast are always spotty. It’s much more dangerous inthe Hudson than the Cape.

At least inland you have access to wundergroundand weather radar on your device
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Yea, inland lakes and mountain lakes like ours are horrible for sailors.

Our lake has mountains on one side and plains on the other. Both cause all kinds of winds. We often find the winds out of the North and mid-day they will die and change to the South. But it's all we got.

Accuweather is my favorite forecasting. The NWS seems to do a horrible job for our lake.
Our biggest problem is the Thunderstorms in the summer that sneak up behind the mountains. I keep a good radar app on hand and get out of the way if a storm is heading towards us. These deep mountain lakes whip up some nasty waves.
--Russ
beechkingd
Chief Steward

Post by beechkingd »

I use the windy app. It comes up with different predictions than sailflow and seems to be more accurate in my area.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Generally speaking Central Florida weather forecasts are pretty good at estimating the arrival of thunderstorms during our summer afternoons. I check my Weatherbug or Weather Underground hourly forecasts and can tell pretty well when I need to be heading in. It, also, helps that our thunderstorms can be seen building up as the clouds gray up and start moving with some speed in your general direction. Weather apps with radar and real time lightening strike data is, also, helpful. 30% or less change of precipitation/thunderstorms is generally what I feel is comfortable for boating. If it is 40% or 50%, I pick my time's carefully and may chance it. Over 50% and I stay home. As for wind strength, I am past trying to sail fast. My lake is 5 miles in diameter. So, the mainsail gets reefed before I leave the slip if the wind looks at all strong, The 110 jib is on roller reef so it can be reefed quickly. I don't mess with my Genoa anymore. Life is so much simpler with just the jib. All this, and I still enjoy sails in the 5-6 knot range regularly. I have even been known to motor upwind, hoist my sails and tack downwind on broad reaches. My admiral loves sailing with me! :wink: