Do I need to replace the main halyard?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Do I need to replace the main halyard?

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I recently purchased a '94 Macgregor 26s, and judging by the condition of other rigging, I would not be surprised if the main and jib halyards were original equipment. Sidenote: I have recently replaced the mainsail and jib.

I recently installed a snubbing winch so I could get the halyard nice and tight, but usually find about an hour into a good sail that the luff of the sail has gone a bit slack. I was out recently and had a friend at the tiller, so had him come up to the wind briefly so I could tighten it, but after another hour of sailing, it appeared to have loosened up.

The halyard makes off to a standard cleat. I do a full loop around the base of the cleat before finishing in the standard figure-8, being sure to do it properly, so I'm pretty sure the rope is not slipping at the cleat.

Are older ropes more prone to stretching? Will I get less of this if I replace it with a new rope (assuming, of course, I buy the proper kind of rope)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
C Buchs
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Do I need to replace the main halyard?

Post by C Buchs »

I'd plan on replacing it. Blue Water Yachts has it for $43.56. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/l204-100.htm When I replaced a bunch of line on my :macx: West Marine was having a 30% or 40% off sale. BWY's price was still a little better and I like supporting them!

Jeff
WinSome
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WinSome »

Replace your halyard. I suspect the portion where it has been snubbed so many times is worn. Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to some other new lines also. They just work so well. I have found lots of uses for retired lines!
Take care.
Just here waiting’ for softer water!
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Stickinthemud57,

You say you have a new Jib and main. How new? New sails also stretch. That being the case, it may not be the halyard.

When I bought a new Genoa, I had to lengthen the halyard until the sail stretched.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

You could mark your halyard at the cleat after you tie it off to confirm whether the line is slipping or stretching. That said, I tend to lean towards replacement on running rigging. Gives you a chance to practice finishing lines :)

And to confirm the cleat hitch is tied properly:

--john
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

It's possible the previous owner used nylon for a halyard instead of non-stretch polyester.

If it looks to be in decent shape, I would try the suggestions above before replacing it. However, new halyards are not expensive. I'm considering replacing mine with a length long enough to make a loop and possibly a color so I can tell the crew "release the black line". It's so hard to explain which one is the halyard.
--Russ