Sail Windows

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Richard O'Brien
Captain

Sail Windows

Post by Richard O'Brien »

I had a difficult time not running down fishing boats last year when heeled with a full genny unfurled. I'm thinking about a sail window of mylar or vinyl, but I know nothing about them? Has anyone had one installed for a Mac, or used one on another vessel? Where do you place them for example? Any thoughts?
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Richard,

I like the idea too. I often have a hard time seeing even with the working jib. I don't know how these windows would affect sail performance, though, or how to install them. I think this may be an item that gets put into a new sail only, but I don't know for sure. Perhpas a sail-maker can do such a mod.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

I don't have them in my Mac's sails (yet), but I do have a mylar one in the jib of my Harpoon (it was std. equipment for that boat) and that window has come in mighty handy.

When SailCare cleaned and re-sized my Harpoon's sails they also put in a new mylar... the old one had got just a bit foggy, but this one's nice and clear.
norbert
First Officer

Post by norbert »

i use to look around the sail every few minutes. this is ok in low to medium traffic areas. and don't forget that there IS a window to look thru: simply lower your head and look thru the cabin and the front windows!
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Perfect duty for an 8 year old young Admiral....front hatch watch!
Sloop John B
Captain

Post by Sloop John B »

I had a nice rectangular one on my genny aboard an old Bristol. A short time out on the salt, and it was like looking through several layers of waxed paper. Thing would get scuffed by the mast/shrouds. I think this could be avoided by positioning it more forward.

I've seen pictures of what looks like a circular window.

Interested to hear if one could be installed without goofing up the sail.

Peeking through the cabin windows on a heel won't give you enough time to avoid banging into a big tug or barge.

I keep heading up for a look while hanging over the rail to lee. No fun.
aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 »

You can see how its done and find out about what to use here

http://quotesys.sailrite.com/quoting/CDRomPreviews.cfm
Richard O'Brien
Captain

That Sailrite site is a nice find AYA. many thanks. I'd like to try a circular one like Sloop saw? My sailmaker said he's never seen one. he told me that I need to go out with full genny , heeled as I like it, and then tape off a place where I want the window. :? Yea, Right! with my free hand! He also said that he has better luck with vinyl than mylar here, (freshwater mtn. lakes). I wish that I knew where to place it for fear of losing time without a foresail in summer. Oh well?? thanks for the suggestions all.
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Richard O'Brien wrote:That Sailrite site is a nice find AYA. many thanks. I'd like to try a circular one like Sloop saw?
Also keep in mind that you'll need to fold that sail, and you will *not* want to double-fold a window. They are easily damaged by folding. So... that kinda limits your options in terms of size, and it's the reason most are somewhat narrow and wide.
Helaku
Chief Steward

Post by Helaku »

I had a sail window on a Prindle 19 that my wife and I had. I loved that boat, the window was absolutely worthless. By the time you see what it is, you will have already hit it. You can see through them but you have no depth perception and anything more than 10 feet away is so blured you have no reaction time. I guess it would be good if you are worried about hitting something really big. After a few times, I never looked through it again. Also sunlight hitting it is just down right annoying.
Richard O'Brien
Captain

Thanks Helaku. Maybe I should go back to looking around for a 12 volt backup camera to mount on the mast? They also see infrared, which might be handy. The problem might be a waterproof monitor/ Oh well :| Uncle sam's getting all my former boat bucks for this spring. :(
elcid79
Deckhand

Post by elcid79 »

Richard O'Brien wrote:Thanks Helaku. Maybe I should go back to looking around for a 12 volt backup camera to mount on the mast? They also see infrared, which might be handy. The problem might be a waterproof monitor/ Oh well :| Uncle sam's getting all my former boat bucks for this spring. :(
Allot of the new GPS MFDs (Multi Function Displays.) Have the ability to accept standard RCA inputs. Garmin and Raymarine have released units as such. Plus they are waterproof/submersible. Then you could put a DVD player in the cabin if you wanted, run a video switch and splitter. And put a flat panel tv on one of the bulk heads inside the cabin. Then if you are sleepign abord w. kids, they can have something to do @ night too. Just my 2 cents. in cabin viewing of whats ahead, coupled with a remote autopilot, would be nice during foul weather. And cockpit visual of it through a new navigation system, wouldnt be half bad either.
Sea Pony
Just Enlisted

Post by Sea Pony »

The thought of spending so much to get around fogged vinly and folded mylar makes me feel a little silly. :?

I would think there would be a substantial distance visibility limitation using night vision. I haven't seen anything that is not military issue that can see more than 30 or 40 feet at night. (i'm sure it's out there, but I'll bet it would be pretty pricey)
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I haven't seen anything that is not military issue that can see more than 30 or 40 feet at night. (i'm sure it's out there, but I'll bet it would be pretty pricey)
The "Starlight" stuff that used to be mil issue only is now readily available to us civilians, and yes, it is pricey.

Not sure what is the point, though. Trying to look through a sail window at night, with or without a night vision device, seems to me an exercise in utter futility. On the other hand, no worse than not having a window at all.
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

Wouldn't standard nav lights on other boats screw up your night vision anyhow? The sail window is for daytime use. But I'm in no hustle to install one ... guessing it wouldn't be worth the effort or expense.

I've never used a small-boat radar, but I can't imagine regular, night time, coastal sailing without it.