18 mph under sail. Can it be done?

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

17 mph under sail

Post by Newell »

Performance Nuts,

I ran my boat wing on wing without ballast and got hit with a microburst. I measure in knots and the GPS hit 7.3 just before the boat broached, since I had lost steering, sort of like steering a car on ice the experience was scary. If I hadn't of had a death grip on the wheel I would have been thrown out.

I think 17 mph is Roger's fantasy.

Newell :macx:
Fast Sunday 96X
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Newell,

What you're describing has happened to me a number of times. I believe the reason for this is the relatively light stern and the lever effect strong wind has on a mainsail which is way out there (sheeted for a downwind run.) The only cure I can come up with is either reefing the main or dropping it alltogether and running under headsail only. With enough breeze on a broad reach or run, I think I would prefer just the spinnaker and no mainsail. The 18 mph is still likely unattainable, but I want to see how close I can get. 8)

Leon
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene »

Leon and Eric

You guys find out how close you can get.....

.... and I'll see if I can beat it :!:

:P

Just kiddin :|

With what Leon said about no main and spin only... with my config.... I think I would snap the mast without a backstay :o

G
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL »

I was out of sailing for several years. A promise I made to God if I made it through a storm at sea.
I had a powerboat, the front of which is now my desk at my shop, on the lake I live on.
The problem was the speed limit to go under a bridge was 6 m.p.h.
So, I had to speed up just to go under a bridge.
I prefersailing.
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Once you've been there.... you will always remember it. :?
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

OH YA BABY!!

If he can get her up on plane... so can we 8)

HERE

G
Lease
First Officer

Post by Lease »

Gotta love those guys.

Hmmm, 16, eh? A bit slow; wonder if the kite'll fly. Might as well wander up there and give it a go.

Hmmm, could be a touch heavy at the moment; maybe later................
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

Cool video. I wonder .... if you had a couple nice blade sails and a whole heck of a lot of wind on a beam reach. Make it an offshore wind to keep the waves down too. When I've been out in strong winds, the waves always spoil the fun.

I went out last Saturday as a cold front was approaching. When I first went out, the wind was barely registering on the wind meter..maybe 6 mph. An hour later, the wind had picked up big time and I was measuring gusts up to 25 (was even windier later that evening). Of course, I had 3 kids on board so couldn't get too radical (they start slipping off the seats). But even with just the main and a little bit of the genny to keep heel down, I was into that semi displacement mode ... around 7.5 mph. You keep this boat standing up in a stiff wind and it sails pretty well. Too much twist in the stock main though...these sails are not really made for high winds.
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

Awesome video Geoff. What kind of mods would it take to get a Mac to do that? :D
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Hey Leon
What kind of mods would it take to get a Mac to do that?
I don't know, but I want em... 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Well Beene

When you tire of trying to catch my surfing pony "m" I'll clue you in . # 1 mod that Roger gave me over you guy's is a 17degree semi v hull with hard chines. Doing away with the hard chines on the 26X with a flat bottom hull was a cost cutting mod . Then when Roger came out with the 26M he went back to a 15degree semi round hull . The hard chines are just to costly to impliment :) :P . But if you get in behind my draft & wake I'll glady give you some slip stream & dragg you along for the ride be like I was pulling a wake board behind me :D :D :D :D :P oh yeh make shure you got a wet suite on all that spray from my boat gonna get you mighty wetttttttttttt ? :wink: 8)

soon to be burning up the lake MWM

John
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

eric3a wrote:One can get very religious in big weather!
beene wrote:Once you've been there.... you will always remember it.
Amen to that!

At least we have motors.

A couple of decades back (pre children), we were sailing in a lake in upstate NY in our Phantom (similar to Sunfish, but better :) ) when a storm suddenly came over us. We were sailing with friends who had a Sunfish. Sky got dark suddenly. There were high trees all around so we could not see the horizon. Rain, wind, lightning. I should have written that as LIGHTNING!, and no motor :!: Water got rough, but that lightning! As I think back on it now I just shake my head and remember that I don't ever wish to go through that again.

Ray
Mikebe
Engineer

Post by Mikebe »

I'll never forget the first time I experienced heavy weather at sea. It was called a Typhoon, South China sea, onboard a 427 foot US Navy destroyer.

That Destroyer was no more significant than a toothpick in those seas, and we were just lucky to make it through.
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

I pity the fool who underestimates the sea and mother nature.

No matter what size your boat/ship is.

G
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

18 mph under sail. Can it be done?
(15 kts in a trailerable pocket cruiser?)

Yep, sure it can!
(no trapeze req'd)

8)

Strictly Sail Pacific