Auto bailer idea

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
restless
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Auto bailer idea

Post by restless »

I think this can only really work on the outboard.. we've got a delta fin thing (which is brilliant for boarding.. swim ladder has been tossed) that I was thinking of clamping it to. Removable would be good, but I can't see a simple and sturdy solution.. ohh... actually I think I can.. can't quite see it yet but it could definately be very sexy... after all one wouldn't want something causing drag in the water all the time? Is that racing thinking? I seldom go flat out, so I would like this to work when bumbling around harbours at 6kts.
Oh well.. more to think on. I got some copper reducers to make a trial. If it works too well then I'll downsize it. Getting more images of the solution coming through.. gotta go look at my outboard... :idea:
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

I don't know much about Hydrodynamic Coefficients of flowing bodies at low Froude numbers, but that fishy looks like he's about to get chopped up.

Also Rick, I have never had a drop in our bilge(s) either.

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

Ok I see we have people from dry states here like Montana and Nevada and I can see how you all never had a drop in your bilges because I lived in Colorado for 10 years were it is also very dry air. However the original post was from somewhere were they speak funny English and is possible is humid like Virginia. I will have 2 air dryers going and 5 strategically place bucket absorbing dehumidifiers in at the same time at my slip, and not have it rain in the summer for two weeks and still get some drops in the bilge thanks to that air you have to chew before you breath it. So Restless if it hasn’t rained in awhile if that is even possible in her Majesties land it is probable from condensation cause by high Humidity. In this country we have Shame Wow commercials going all the time and I can tell you they do work.
restless
First Officer

Post by restless »

indeed.. the condensation is unbelievable. I dry the boat, mopping the ceiling, and two days later it looks like I've jet washed it :(
Mind, it's -4 at the mo so I have to run the heater just to get the ice off. All good prep I'm sure! Thinking about how to improve the insulation...
ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier »

I am thinking about rigging up small 12 fans blowing into the ceiling in the bow and stearn to circulate air in there. It is no joke I put those humidifier buckets in there and empty them once a month because they are full. The one under the galley and the one in the head hardly ever have to empty. This is all with 2 electric WM air dryers going also. Of course here in Virginia in Hampton Roads area the years is the wettest year on record which I am sure doesn't help.
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Hi Bjorg

What is a "delta fin thing" :?:

I cant remember that on your boat... :o

I think you also need this...

It is very effective for removing moist :idea:

But your auto bailer seems a nice idea. Maybe adding this would be safer...

Imagine your venturi with reversed engine :cry:

Jose

PS: On board gas tank is also high on mi wish list :D :D
restless
First Officer

Post by restless »

I'll post a photo of the delta fin, easier to explain.
I've had a look at the outboard, and I have a beautifully cunning plan that will allow the cool captain to engage it just for the time it takes to do the job. In fact there is a built in reverse safety feature that would prevent any water going the other way... I'll have some dinner, finish my heater installation board and do some sketches :wink: