26X Trimaran Idea

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

ROAD Soldier
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

26X Trimaran Idea

Post by ROAD Soldier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 am

Take the design of the outrigger system that is on my Folbot Greenland II Upwind Sail Rig.
Then Supersize it using these. :idea:
http://www.watertribe.com/Store/TRCProd ... igAma.aspx
Then mount them to this nearly the same way as the Folbot system on this. :idea:
Then dump the water ballast and I wonder what it would do :?: :o
With 450lbs of buoyancy on one ama do you think I would need one or two per side :?: :)

waternwaves
Admiral
Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Re: 26X Trimaran Idea

Post by waternwaves » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 am

check MAd Mike posts on this board for trimaran conversion info. other web info can be found under Mad Mike Dunn........ I think he is still with North Sails.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:01 am

I had pic's of a Mac 25 or 26c that a guy had made up his own from either plastic or simular , or fiberglass they retracted aft for ramping , slipping on retractable arms was a very nice set -up that I thought I might copy some day but for the life of me I cannot find the pic's or the site where I got them from the one site I was seaching is under reconstruction & Iam pretty sure its in their site guess I'll have to wait "Mac trailor sailors " :(

J

Blue Reef
Deckhand

Post by Blue Reef » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 am

Sorry to send you here but it could be useful. Make sure you wash your hands before you return.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=117755

Cameron

Scott
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: 1978 Catalina 22 with all the Racing Goodies!! 4 horse fire breathing monster on the transom

Post by Scott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 am

hart
First Officer
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Post by hart » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 am

I sailed with a couple last year that had a Corsair 28. Cool boat and fast as hull across the wind. While it was fairly roomy on the inside the amenities were somewhat tight. I love this idea. Make them fold up like the Corsair and it's still trailable although perhaps a bit wide for some states. The Corsair is/was a kit boat right? I wonder if you could buy the amas for it and adapt them. Add some tramps for more "deck" room and that would be sweet!

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Blue Reef wrote:Sorry to send you here but it could be useful. Make sure you wash your hands before you return.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... pic=117755

Cameron
Ok I have washed my hands thoroughly and that is not what I am looking for but thank you for looking into the pits of the egotistical nut land for me. The system I mentioned is what I will use because I have one on my Kayak which was not originally designed for sailing. The single point inflatable system meets all my needs. It rides over every wave, it will not dive. It stays up front and out of the way for fishing. It doesn't produce a lot of drag. It could be made into a slide out system or folding system within the means of my own personal tools. The inflatable Amas absorbs a lot of pounding that doesn't get transferred to you. When tailoring just deflate disconnect and through inside and it's lightweight. It will not cost a bundle like a Corsair system. Now before I do this mod I got to get a job somewhere near water when I retire from the military this summer. However one thing I need from one of you geeky engineer types out there that can mathematical tell me how much buoyancy I will need for an Ama sticking out 6-8 feet for say a fully loaded 4500lbs 26X? Also if I use aluminum pipe and not tubing what diameter will I need?

J.Teixeira
First Officer
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi

I tried something like that with my sit on top ocean kayak. Just for the fun :evil:

Only on one side "Polynesian style"

It was long time ago so no digital pictures (only slides "diapositive")

There was almost no heeling with the kayak on the downwind side...

No reefing needed :o

With 20/30 wind there was a lot of speed and a feeling of big efforts on the rig...

Mast bending in a scary way...

The boat started to act randomly with unpredictable steering.

With empty ballast was very frightening :o

It was the fastest day of "Ariane" 8)

End of experience... :cry:

Jose

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 pm

J.Teixeira wrote:Hi

I tried something like that with my sit on top ocean kayak. Just for the fun :evil:

Only on one side "Polynesian style"

It was long time ago so no digital pictures (only slides "diapositive")

There was almost no heeling with the kayak on the downwind side...

No reefing needed :o

With 20/30 wind there was a lot of speed and a feeling of big efforts on the rig...

With empty ballast was very frightening :o

It was the fastest day of "Ariane" 8)

End of experience... :cry:

Jose
Ok sounds great so now you know you need to reinforce your rigging. Make the corrections and do it again except this time with some testosterone which means you don't use the following phrases to describe the experience:

With empty ballast was very frightening

Get some testosterone in your blood man and replace those statements with these:

Mast bending in a wild way...

The boat tested me like an angry bucking bronco but I persevered...

When God had me in his sights and thought he had beaten me down, I raised the water ballast valve and let it flow....
8)
In other words never give up or surrender. :!:

40Toes
Engineer
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Ontario 28 - Formerly 2000 26X

Post by 40Toes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:34 am

by ROAD Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 am

Like Highlander said Its all about the acomplishment something nobody else has done & everyone say's could not be done ! " The Damm Challenge " MAN !

I need to have a lot of time on my hands and hopefully when I retire I will and maybe some long cold winters to go with it with a heated barn of a garage to accomplish my pedestal Mac Mod:
1.Large Inflatable Amas on stainless steel arms that swing out on both side after leaving dock that make the 26x into a trimaran and would also double as self righting buoyancy balls when the arms are folded back in tradition mono hull sailing mode .
2. Along with a folding down 40ft A-Frame mast that folds down in three sections with a boom less furling mainsail.
Damn, you were serious :) Me thunks you have Highlanderitius :o There is thinking outside the box but you need a pair of binoculars just to see the box, well at least for item 2. I am not sure you will have time in retirement, apparantly "honey do lists" can take years to get through :) :) :)

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 am

40Toes wrote:
by ROAD Soldier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:53 am

Like Highlander said Its all about the acomplishment something nobody else has done & everyone say's could not be done ! " The Damm Challenge " MAN !

I need to have a lot of time on my hands and hopefully when I retire I will and maybe some long cold winters to go with it with a heated barn of a garage to accomplish my pedestal Mac Mod:
1.Large Inflatable Amas on stainless steel arms that swing out on both side after leaving dock that make the 26x into a trimaran and would also double as self righting buoyancy balls when the arms are folded back in tradition mono hull sailing mode .
2. Along with a folding down 40ft A-Frame mast that folds down in three sections with a boom less furling mainsail.
Damn, you were serious :) Me thunks you have Highlanderitius :o There is thinking outside the box but you need a pair of binoculars just to see the box, well at least for item 2. I am not sure you will have time in retirement, apparantly "honey do lists" can take years to get through :) :) :)
Yep, !!
And you can darn well tell he's a real "Honey Do Guy" :P :D :D :D

J 8) :wink:

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Highlander wrote: Yep, !!

Yep that I am but it is better then trying to be a Honey Bee Guy wearing a skirt :P :D :D :D

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 am

ROAD Soldier wrote:
Highlander wrote: Yep, !!

Yep that I am but it is better then trying to be a Honey Bee Guy wearing a skirt :P :D :D :D
Yep I'm a Honey bee guy all right ! being when I do the Honey Do List I be doing it by myself ! for myself ! like My Big Honey Do "Bee" Boat List when I start on that I can go on & on for ever with out any heckling from the back ground " ARE YOU FINNISHED YET !!! :o :D :D :D :D

As for my Scottish Atire I'm proud of my back ground & heritage , buy the way you'd be envious of all the woman who hit on me when I'm wearing my Kilt & walking down the street . When I was in Quebec City PQ with my boat in Aug. last yr too see my oldest daughter play in the Quebec Military Tattoo , when we were walking through the Old Quebec City at night I had so many woman hitting on me my daughter said smiling " Dad maybe you should wear your Kilt more often " . My French girl friend was not amused to say the least ! especialy after four of her best girlfriends starting hitting on me & telling her how handsome I looked in my Scottish Atire :o :D :D :D :D :P

I'll drink to that !

http://s844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... dation.mp4

Well that said & done I'd better get back to finnishing off these two bathrooms I've been renevating for the past two months :( just about finnished :) good job I got three cans in the house !! :D :D :D

PS Soon be Boat Mod Time again better get cracking on that Honey Do List !! :D :D :D :P :wink:

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 am

'Tis a brave man who wears the kilt in February!' --Scottish saying

ROAD Soldier
Captain

Post by ROAD Soldier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:49 am

Highlander when you are in the lead there will always be hecklers. It has always been the price for being best. No matter how good you are at something there will always be someone who thinks they can do it better. If people are not talking about you; you're not worth talking about. I know that feeling also. I just absorb it better because I don't have to explain my heritage unless we start talking about the holocaust. My father was born in the USA in 1930, I wasn't alive yet, Hitler was elected chancellor because of the stupidity of the Treaty of Versailles, and that is my story and I am sticking to it. :?