Lightning????

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Lightning????

Post by Ixneigh »

No it's lighting. It says strike master on the lable. Not bird master. :D
I had one. Boat was never hit (not saying much) and practical sailor panned them.
They are technically ion dissipators to in theory bleed off charge slowly from the structure.
I have a whip antenna on the mast head that probably does the same thing. The only boat I ever owned thus far to get hit was the only one without a whip antenna on it. I sharpen the point on them with a file.
Ix

http://www.lightningmaster.com/product/lm-pp3-c-t-24/
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Ixneigh wrote:.
I have a whip antenna on the mast head ...... I sharpen the point on them with a file.
Ix
And if a bird lands on it.....
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

RussMT wrote:
Ixneigh wrote:.
I have a whip antenna on the mast head ...... I sharpen the point on them with a file.
Ix
And if a bird lands on it.....
then u got duck on a spit :D :D :D

J :P
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

RussMT wrote:(resurrected thread)
One of the biggest boating discussions....lightning.

How big would that plate be?
Fresh or salt water?

So many opinions.

If you are going with the dissipation angle, I see a lot of these mast brushes on tops of boats.

The latest edition of Seaworthy has an article on lightning, and this photo, along with its caption are part of the story.

RayImage
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote: The latest edition of Seaworthy has an article on lightning, and this photo, along with its caption are part of the story.

RayImage
I think it's safe to say that expensive electronics attract lightning. :D

--Russ
mike0404
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: I'm Shopping

Post by mike0404 »

this is a never ending topic.
as a group of sailors and navigators, we have experienced lightning strikes.
My sailboat was struck and simply demasted. I wasn't on it ... Not a mac at the time. My friend's cottage was strucked, his house burned and he got hit trying to tie his fishing boat the wind was blowing away from the sandy beach, he was so lucky he made it with only a knee blow out, and his wife got the hull out of the house.
He rebuilt his cottage with courage and help, only accessible by water (pontoons etc) , like a paradise now again...even in -30 in winter.
after these adventures, we decided it would be good to experience other lightning adventures ...
There is a good reason why the tampa bay hockey team is called the lightning... if you like to drive a convertible car ... go see a hockey game during a lightning storm , safer even if you are the goal tender ... lol
I am considering adding a large dodger bimini on my 26X, i am thinking about adding a mesh but weight is a bugger, now my slip neighbour has a higher mast and he added his radio antenna on top , so he is about 8 feet taller than me. I removed all "fancy" electronics , unplugged microwave and TV/video and AC. Ac in the house now.
I got strucked by the fake eagle flying into my backstay, twice ... windy place. I told the dock master to build a taller mast for the poor eagle kite.
Makes a nice sound too. The gas (regular WITH ethanol ...) is 200 feet from me , so that should be safe and make me buy 94with no ethanol else where a half hour away .
A neighbour electrician is worried about my mast not being grounded ... "your boat will sink" he said, nope, a mac stays afloat even with a hole in the hull. Especially with all the swimming noodles under the aft birth. I was surprised to see not to many mildew spots on them. Now on special liquidation end of season. I guess Tilex did the job preventing mildew. Bleach keeps my ballast clean.
An idea , a friend of mine added copper in his pool water and it worked with no chlorine ... would copper be a solution for lightning ballast dissipator ?
food for thoughts.
Mike
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

The long and the short of it is that nothing has been proven to work on a boat against lightning. Each bolt of lightning contains up to 1,000,000,000 volts of electricity. That’s one BILLION :!:

I believe years ago I would see Cape Dory’s at boat shows; their advertising let people know that they had a copper line running down the boat so as to act as a ground against lightning. Never proven to work.

Ray